First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    there are more whites on tv, more whites with money, more whites with nice cars and more whites on welfare.....maybe this is because there are MORE WHITES!
    If racial prominence were based on simple population, we'd be inundated with Cantonese and Mandarin-based programs.

As it stands, there's much more to it, MaybeLogic.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    If racial prominence were based on simple population, we'd be inundated with Cantonese and Mandarin-based programs.

As it stands, there's much more to it, MaybeLogic.
    Of course there's much more to it, but now you're confusing world population/national population and their separate effects on a nation.

If there were no nations, I could understand your reasoning, but there are many and each have their own customs, culture and population.

Once example of what I'm trying to point out is:

3 years ago I worked at a grocery store in a smallish town. We had one half of one side of an aisle for "ethnic" foods (mexican-made tortillas, juices, etc and soy sauce and such). The hispanic population has increased very dramatically in the past few years and now we have an entire aisle devoted to "ethnic", most of which is mexican and south american produced foods.

As the african-american, south-of-texasican and other minorities increase in population, so will their television counterparts. The other factors are minor, except for the Wealth factor. It can take many generations to accumulate wealth. Since the 60's, blacks have had a much better opportunity to begin accumulating wealth and those opportunities will increase every year, although it's a given that not all minorities will choose to embrace these opportunities.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Of course there's much more to it, but now you're confusing world population/national population and their separate effects on a nation.
    No - I'm not confusing anything. I'm countering your "but there's more White people -- that's why" argument with a likeminded counterpoint. In effect, you've disproved your original contention.

As the african-american, south-of-texasican and other minorities increase in population, so will their television counterparts. The other factors are minor, except for the Wealth factor. It can take many generations to accumulate wealth.
    This I do not disagree with. There is much more to it than simple population numbers, MaybeLogic. Socioeconomic advantage stemming from centuries of racializing savagery and institutionalizing racial preference is why we have white culture as the predominant culture in America.

Not just numbers. Far, far from it.

No - I'm not confusing anything. I'm countering your "but there's more White people -- that's why" argument with a likeminded counterpoint. In effect, you've disproved your original contention.
    There are more white people and, therefore, there will be more white rich, more white poor, more white everything. I was simply using a likeminded counterpoint to your original point that every month is a white month, etc. In effect, disproving your original contention.

If there were more black people than white, wouldn't it make sense that blacks would be more visible on television, more likely to be rich, etc, etc?

My point was that when you have a population confined by borders and the majority of that population is a certain group, that group is going to have more influence in every possible way. Not saying it's right or wrong or that it needs to be changed or it needs to be kept the same, It just is, always has been and always will be.

This I do not disagree with. There is much more to it than simple population numbers, MaybeLogic. Socioeconomic advantage stemming from centuries of racializing savagery and institutionalizing racial preference is why we have white culture.

Not just numbers. Far, far from it.
    It's the numbers first(population, money), all other factors are minor in comparison. Racial preference didn't need to be institutionalized, it was already there.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

There are more white people and, therefore, there will be more white rich, more white poor, more white everything. I was simply using a likeminded counterpoint to your original point that every month is a white month, etc. In effect, disproving your original contention.
    This turnabout doesn't work when your reasoning stacks poorly.

If there were more black people than white, wouldn't it make sense that blacks would more visible on television, more likely to be rich, etc, etc?

My point was that when you have a population confined by borders and the majority of that population is a certain group, that group is going to have more influence in every possible way.
    Not always. Conflating financial success with dominance in population is to gloss over many other characteristics of prominence.

By that logic, are Hispanics necessarily more successful per capita than, say, Asians in America? Are they necessarily more influential?

...Not able to say?

Population count is an unreliable basis for analysis. There are many (much) more reliable factors to consider.

There's just no two ways about it.

Racial preference didn't need to be institutionalized, it was already there.
    You're creating a chicken-egg scenario. Money and power have historically been exclusively White realms. It wasn't until the 1960s that this began to gradually shift. If you think this is the result of simple population inequality, I'd recommend a refresher course in American History.

Your original point remains incomplete.

This turnabout doesn't work when your reasoning stacks poorly.

Not always. Conflating financial success with dominance in population is to gloss over many other characteristics of prominence.

By that logic, are Hispanics necessarily more successful per capita than, say, Asians in America? Are they necessarily more influential?

...Not able to say?

Population count is an unreliable basis for analysis. There are many (much) more reliable factors to consider.

There's just no two ways about it.

You're creating a chicken-egg scenario. Money and power have historically been exclusively White realms. It wasn't until the 1960s that this began to gradually shift. If you think this is the result of simple population inequality, I'd recommend a refresher course in American History.

Your original point remains incomplete.
    If the population of hispanics in this country was 0, how many jobs would I be turned down for because I'm not fluent in spanish?

Not able to say?

ZERO! because they don't have a presence.

It's obvious that any further posts would be extremely long and probably pointless. I'm going to bed, but I'll post something when I wake up. Seriously, your snide remarks have no place in a serious discussion, which is why I didn't think this was serious discussion, which is why I had no reason to go in depth with my point of view.
    However, I'm not going to ignore your non sequiturs and other logical misteps.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, MaybeLogic.

Point noted.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, MaybeLogic.

Point noted.
    You didn't hurt the feelings, you just hurt the white pride I don't feel. no, I'm just tired....winding down and reading emails and about to get to sleep.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I dunno. It's silly to have white pride because white people have been killing each other since they could pick up a pointy stick. The only reason why "Black pride" is acceptable is because "Black" has to do with a history of slavery and oppression in America. Then again, I make the distinction between "Black" and "African American", where one is descended from freed African slaves and the other is an immigrant from Africa.

I mean, it's one thing to be proud of your Irish roots, or another to think it's cool that you're descended from people who immigrated to this country early in the 20th century, but having pride just because of your pinky-white skin color and seeing that as entitlement is dumb.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your ancestry. The problem with "White Pride" is that it really seems oppositional to Black Pride or any other type of minority pride. I also think that Black Pride as an overarching concept would be lessened if African-Americans' ancestors had immigrated by choice and hadn't been forcibly separated from their families and tribes, cut off from their history. I have ancestors from Italy, Ireland, England, Scotland, and a Native American tribe. I take pride in that background, and I do not feel bad in any way for being a middle-class white male. No one should feel negatively about their background. It's something you can't control at all. You may acknowledge bad things that have happened in the past, but it's no reason to feel guilty.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"