User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'd still like some proper examples of what white culture is.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ

EHHHHHH! WRONG! Nazis celebrated "Aryan culture." Soviets celebrated "proletarian culture." That doesn't mean that a St. Patrick's Day parade is bad.
    Saint Pats would be an example of Irish American culture. Which is only a portion of white culture, but when we get to call it a White parade we can talk.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Saint Pats would be an example of Irish American culture. Which is only a portion of white culture, but when we get to call it a White parade we can talk.
    That's not the point. The point is that some celebrations of culture CAN be bad. Most are not. That is a direct contradiction of your assertion that "all celebrations of culture are good or all celebrations of culture are bad." That's a false dichotomy.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Hit yourself in the head as much as you like, but you haven't done a good job with it. Your list was shitty, and your "insights" on this topic are facile and biased. You sound like you are quoting the world's worst Sociology of Race textbook.

MBTI
    INFJ

That's not the point. The point is that some celebrations of culture CAN be bad. Most are not. That is a direct contradiction of your assertion that "all celebrations of culture are good or all celebrations of culture are bad." That's a false dichotomy.
    I'm sorry I just have a nasty taste in my mouth when people tell me that celebrating one culture is good while celebrating another is bad, something about inequality and hypocrisy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes because we are a majority, but that doesnt explain why its still racist if we SAY we want to celebrate white culture. Or try to celebrate white cultural things officially. Celebrating culture is either all good or all bad. The in between thing is asinine.
    This lacks some serious context, yo. Saying white people should celebrate our culture in the same way minority cultures do is like whining that the upper middle class should get welfare checks too--just so that it's fair!

Which is, of course, childish and stupid. The idea here is that these people already have such a hard time in a white-dominated culture that they're hanging on desperately to whatever little scraps of their ethnic roots they can still cling to. That's really all they have; this is intended to pick up their ailing self-image a little bit in the face of a very sensitive problem white Americans have never and will never have.

As a white person you're constantly surrounded by near-ubiquitous displays of your culture wherever you go--just turn on your TV, pick up a magazine, whatever. Just let them have their little birthday parties, grow up and stop insisting that you need one too. You need a sense of context on this before you start whining "BUT IT'S NOT FAAAAAAIR!!!!" like a fucking five year old.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Enneagram
    1w2

Hit yourself in the head as much as you like, but you haven't done a good job with it. Your list was shitty, and your "insights" on this topic are facile and biased. You sound like you are quoting the world's worst Sociology of Race textbook.
    Thank goodness I wasted no more explanation on you than an emoticon.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Thank goodness I wasted no more explanation on you than an emoticon.

Sooooo. . . you DON'T have any good examples?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This lacks some serious context, yo. Saying white people should celebrate our culture in the same way minority cultures do is like whining that the upper middle class should get welfare checks too--just so that it's fair!

Which is, of course, childish and stupid. The idea here is that these people already have such a hard time in a white-dominated culture that they're hanging on desperately to whatever little scraps of their ethnic roots they can still cling to. That's really all they have; this is intended to pick up their ailing self-image a little bit in the face of a very sensitive problem white Americans have never and will never have.

As a white person you're constantly surrounded by near-ubiquitous displays of your culture wherever you go--just turn on your TV, pick up a magazine, whatever. Just let them have their little birthday parties, grow up and stop insisting that you need one too. You need a sense of context on this before you start whining "BUT IT'S NOT FAAAAAAIR!!!!" like a fucking five year old.
    Culture celebration shouldn't be compared to something tangible like economic wealth via welfare checks. Its apples and oranges.

And it isn't about whining, I don't give a shit about white clubs etc, what annoys me is the double standard, either we are all Americans like we are supposed to be and have the same rights or we aren't. Are you telling me non-whites are second class citizens? I know they have been treated as such in history in this nation, but we don't solve a wrong by committing another wrong. Either its all ok, or its all not ok. Otherwise its hypocritical.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'm sorry I just have a nasty taste in my mouth when people tell me that celebrating one culture is good while celebrating another is bad, something about inequality and hypocrisy.
    You better do a good job of providing evidence that A) there is such a thing as "white culture"; and B) the notion of such a thing is based on what white people ARE, as opposed to what white people are not (i.e., minorities). Feel free to try.