User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Just b/c people define it different ways doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Just b/c people define it different ways doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    Do you know what ubiquitous means?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yes. I do.

It just seemed that you were disparaging the culture b/c it couldn't be considered truly ubiquitous.

I was just trying to say that that doesn't matter. Its what culture means to you that counts.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yes. I do.

It just seemed that you were disparaging the culture b/c it couldn't be considered truly ubiquitous.
    Disparaging because it isn't ubiquitous? Huh?

I was just trying to say that that doesn't matter. Its what culture means to you that counts.
    I disagree with this. There are practical manifestations of a culture. That's how it should be judged, not based on some ephemeral internal meaning.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    For one thing, a minority culture as being discussed ITT is not defined by numbers.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Don't worry, I won't hold the frolicking in haystacks and sliding down silos against you.
    But I loved sliding down silos and frolicking in haystacks.

The dominant culture is whatever it says it is. That could mean it's Chinese versus Italian food this year, or Target versus Walmart, Boxers versus briefs, Yellow fever versus Jungle fever,etc...I mean, dominant "white culture" is simply whatever happens to be socially acceptable. It's only "white" in the sense that "white" is how the people who do the things that are deemed "acceptable" in the moment, identify. In that way, "white culture" could also be Tyler Perry in much the same way that Mos Def has become. "White culture" is everything and nothing at all. The term has little to do with the true background of "whites", who were in fact, culturally diverse just a generation or two ago.

The reason it makes little sense to celebrate "white culture" is because "white culture" is the acceptable culture. It is celebrated as the default in the same way as heterosexual romance.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Disparaging because it isn't ubiquitous? Huh?

I disagree with this. There are practical manifestations of a culture. That's how it should be judged, not based on some ephemeral internal meaning.
    Well, then on this issue at least, we have reached an impasse.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yum, I love fondue!

Just to be clear, I'm a product of American culture and I don't think that just because I can single out certain aspects of (white) American culture that I don't participate, ascribe, or identify with the culture. There has been a lot of cultural osmosis, which I have stated several times already.

But yall, have got to claim Shabby Chic! Who the hell buys furniture that looks like it came from a garbage dump?

Oh, and now we must consult the almighty Wikipedia:

Source

Doesn't this citation undermine your point that American culture is a "synonym" for white culture?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Exactly.

But I loved sliding down silos and frolicking in haystacks.

The dominant culture is whatever it says it is. That could mean it's Chinese versus Italian food this year, or Target versus Walmart, Boxers versus briefs, Yellow fever versus Jungle fever,etc...I mean, dominant "white culture" is simply whatever happens to be socially acceptable. It's only "white" in the sense that "white" is how the people who do the things that are deemed "acceptable" in the moment, identify. In that way, "white culture" could also be Tyler Perry in much the same way that Mos Def has become. "White culture" is everything and nothing at all. The term has little to do with the true background of "whites", who were in fact, culturally diverse just a generation or two ago.

The reason it makes little sense to celebrate "white culture" is because "white culture" is the acceptable culture. It is celebrated as the default in the same way as heterosexual romance.
    You should make your definition of "white culture" more precise, perhaps limiting it to something like urban hipster douchebag.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Tell me what Black culture is.

Tell me what Asian culture is.

Tell me what every culture is.
    I'm not trying to beat you up, so please don't misread this post. I come in peace.
    RACE as a defining characteristic is scientifically meaningless. Race is partially valid as a way to track genetic disease, but not much else. In fact, as it relates to disease, race is only a crude proxy for ethnicity. Dark-skinned people are more likely to get sickle cell, but this is an indirect relationship; the real relationship is to ethnicity, not skin color directly.
    Race only has meaning as a social division, sio I think ignoring it is the most rational and socially cohesive perspective.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I'm not trying to beat you up, so please don't misread this post. I come in peace.
    RACE as a defining characteristic is scientifically meaningless. Race is partially valid as a way to track genetic disease, but not much else. In fact, as it relates to disease, race is only a crude proxy for ethnicity. Dark-skinned people are more likely to get sickle cell, but this is an indirect relationship; the real relationship is to ethnicity, not skin color directly.
    Race only has meaning as a social division, sio I think ignoring it is the most rational and socially cohesive perspective.
    Thats cool.

If thats so, there should be NO black, white, hispanic, asian student unions.

Only nationality student unions.