User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Results 211 to 220 of 474

  1. #211
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Just b/c people define it different ways doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

  2. #212
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Just b/c people define it different ways doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    Do you know what ubiquitous means?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #213
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Yes. I do.

    It just seemed that you were disparaging the culture b/c it couldn't be considered truly ubiquitous.

    I was just trying to say that that doesn't matter. Its what culture means to you that counts.

  4. #214
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes. I do.

    It just seemed that you were disparaging the culture b/c it couldn't be considered truly ubiquitous.
    Disparaging because it isn't ubiquitous? Huh?

    I was just trying to say that that doesn't matter. Its what culture means to you that counts.
    I disagree with this. There are practical manifestations of a culture. That's how it should be judged, not based on some ephemeral internal meaning.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #215
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    For one thing, a minority culture as being discussed ITT is not defined by numbers.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Don't worry, I won't hold the frolicking in haystacks and sliding down silos against you.
    But I loved sliding down silos and frolicking in haystacks.

    The dominant culture is whatever it says it is. That could mean it's Chinese versus Italian food this year, or Target versus Walmart, Boxers versus briefs, Yellow fever versus Jungle fever,etc...I mean, dominant "white culture" is simply whatever happens to be socially acceptable. It's only "white" in the sense that "white" is how the people who do the things that are deemed "acceptable" in the moment, identify. In that way, "white culture" could also be Tyler Perry in much the same way that Mos Def has become. "White culture" is everything and nothing at all. The term has little to do with the true background of "whites", who were in fact, culturally diverse just a generation or two ago.

    The reason it makes little sense to celebrate "white culture" is because "white culture" is the acceptable culture. It is celebrated as the default in the same way as heterosexual romance.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  6. #216
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Disparaging because it isn't ubiquitous? Huh?


    I disagree with this. There are practical manifestations of a culture. That's how it should be judged, not based on some ephemeral internal meaning.
    Well, then on this issue at least, we have reached an impasse.

  7. #217
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yum, I love fondue!

    Just to be clear, I'm a product of American culture and I don't think that just because I can single out certain aspects of (white) American culture that I don't participate, ascribe, or identify with the culture. There has been a lot of cultural osmosis, which I have stated several times already.

    But yall, have got to claim Shabby Chic! Who the hell buys furniture that looks like it came from a garbage dump?

    Oh, and now we must consult the almighty Wikipedia:

    Source



    Doesn't this citation undermine your point that American culture is a "synonym" for white culture?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #218
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Exactly.


    But I loved sliding down silos and frolicking in haystacks.

    The dominant culture is whatever it says it is. That could mean it's Chinese versus Italian food this year, or Target versus Walmart, Boxers versus briefs, Yellow fever versus Jungle fever,etc...I mean, dominant "white culture" is simply whatever happens to be socially acceptable. It's only "white" in the sense that "white" is how the people who do the things that are deemed "acceptable" in the moment, identify. In that way, "white culture" could also be Tyler Perry in much the same way that Mos Def has become. "White culture" is everything and nothing at all. The term has little to do with the true background of "whites", who were in fact, culturally diverse just a generation or two ago.

    The reason it makes little sense to celebrate "white culture" is because "white culture" is the acceptable culture. It is celebrated as the default in the same way as heterosexual romance.
    You should make your definition of "white culture" more precise, perhaps limiting it to something like urban hipster douchebag.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #219
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Tell me what Black culture is.

    Tell me what Asian culture is.

    Tell me what every culture is.
    I'm not trying to beat you up, so please don't misread this post. I come in peace.
    RACE as a defining characteristic is scientifically meaningless. Race is partially valid as a way to track genetic disease, but not much else. In fact, as it relates to disease, race is only a crude proxy for ethnicity. Dark-skinned people are more likely to get sickle cell, but this is an indirect relationship; the real relationship is to ethnicity, not skin color directly.
    Race only has meaning as a social division, sio I think ignoring it is the most rational and socially cohesive perspective.

  10. #220
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I'm not trying to beat you up, so please don't misread this post. I come in peace.
    RACE as a defining characteristic is scientifically meaningless. Race is partially valid as a way to track genetic disease, but not much else. In fact, as it relates to disease, race is only a crude proxy for ethnicity. Dark-skinned people are more likely to get sickle cell, but this is an indirect relationship; the real relationship is to ethnicity, not skin color directly.
    Race only has meaning as a social division, sio I think ignoring it is the most rational and socially cohesive perspective.
    Thats cool.

    If thats so, there should be NO black, white, hispanic, asian student unions.

    Only nationality student unions.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you believe there is such thing as evil?
    By ZNP-TBA in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 05:28 AM
  2. No such thing as a silly question .. Or is there???
    By Saslou in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
  3. [INTP] is there a such thing as an intp that gets around?
    By Ulaes in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 02:49 AM
  4. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  5. There's no such thing as motivating someone?
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO