User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'm doing fine. If anyone has a problem with me being young, white, male, or middle-class, it's because THEY have a problem. Someone who actually has an open mind will take me on my individual merits.
    Whoosh goes the point.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's just not ok to be white anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Or heterosexual. I mean, "the gays" get those LBGT groups on campuses, but no groups for just heterosexuals?!! No fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The comparison doesn't make a relevant analogy.

Homosexuals are a much smaller group than, everyone who isn't white.
    DiscoBiscuit: you're making a fool out of yourself.

For one thing, a minority culture as being discussed ITT is not defined by numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    A sociological minority is not necessarily a numerical minority Ś it may include any group that is subnormal with respect to a dominant group in terms of social status, education, employment, wealth and political power.
    For all the rest, see proteanmix's posts. She has some of the best points yet.

As a summary, quit whining. Every day is still your day.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    LOL, when I graduated college way back in 2006 and was talking to people at my graduation I heard so much "I'm gonna backpack through Europe" that my eyes started to twitch. I thought to myself is anyone else concerned about how many months of forbearance and deferment they can leach out of the system?
    Interest accrues, so I don't see the problem.

It sounds like you just live in a particularly annoying place. I've never known anyone that went backpacking through Europe. I've known more people that got involved with EWB-USA (several that went to Bolivia). But I did grow up in backwards Missouri, not the superior, progressive DC area.
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What is white culture?
    There is no white culture. There is Irish culture, German culture, etc. There is even a Minnesotan culture. But there is no ubiquitous American white culture. There might have been back in 1950, but that was more than a generation ago.
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    ...But I did grow up in backwards Missouri, not the superior, progressive DC area.
    Don't worry, I won't hold the frolicking in haystacks and sliding down silos against you.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Don't worry, I won't hold the frolicking in haystacks and sliding down silos against you.
    How do you slide down a silo?

Enneagram
    1w2

How do you slide down a silo?
    Bungee jump? Paragliding? I'm sure between Jackass and that Stuff White People Like list you'll get an idea.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Antiquing
    Brunch
    Fondue

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Bungee jump? Paragliding? I'm sure between Jackass and that Stuff White People Like list you'll get an idea.
    Are you trying to instruct me or blow me off?

Enneagram
    1w2

Yum, I love fondue!

Just to be clear, I'm a product of American culture and I don't think that just because I can single out certain aspects of (white) American culture that I don't participate, ascribe, or identify with the culture. There has been a lot of cultural osmosis, which I have stated several times already.

But yall, have got to claim Shabby Chic! Who the hell buys furniture that looks like it came from a garbage dump?

Oh, and now we must consult the almighty Wikipedia:
    The development of the culture of the United States of America Ś History, Holidays, Sports, Religion, Cuisine, Literature, Poetry, Music, Dance, Visual Arts, Cinema, and Architecture Ś has been marked by a tension between two strong sources of inspiration: European ideals, especially British, and domestic originality...

It also includes elements which evolved from Native Americans, and other ethnic subcultures; most prominently the culture of former African-American slaves and different cultures from Latin America. Many cultural elements, especially popular culture have been exported across the globe through modern mass media where American culture is sometimes resented. A few of the cultural elements have remained rather exclusive to North America.
    Source

Are you trying to instruct me or blow me off?
    Last edited by proteanmix; 11-16-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: merged posts

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yum, I love fondue!

Just to be clear, I'm a product of American culture and I don't think that just because I can single out certain aspects of (white) American culture that I don't participate, ascribe, or identify with the culture. There has been a lot of cultural osmosis, which I have stated several times already.

But yall, have got to claim Shabby Chic! Who the hell buys furniture that looks like it came from a garbage dump?

Oh, and now we must consult the almighty Wikipedia:

Source

I had to google Shabby Chic.

How can anyone say that there is any sort of ubiquitous culture in the US when the differences between places like New York and Kansas are so vast? Miami is more like a Central American city than like Minneapolis. The same could be said for San Antonio.

Do you have any links explaining silo sliding? I'd rather not try to watch Jackass. I haven't deliberately tuned to MTV in more than 5 years.