User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I understand that im not really complaining about it. Im mostly just annoyed about how racism is viewed as this "world against the black man" thing. Its a little over done in my opinion.

Does anyone think about the poor asian guys and how no one can tell them physically apart by nationality unless you are one?! Huh?!
    SDMF

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

If they had a white pride day, it would be one big neo-nazi fest that is for sure.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Would feel a bit weird to take pride in the achievements of people I've never met and only have a tenuous (skin colour) link to them.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I see no purpose in pride in your skin color.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP

What about pride in your privileged social position?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I have never really seen the point in having pride for a physical trait. I can't really control the fact that I'm white, so why the fuck would I be proud of it? I'm not ashamed if it, but lack of shame doesn't imply pride. Having pride for being any race is just so silly; it's practically the same as having pride for your eye color, shoe size, or the fact that you can touch your tongue to your nose. We should be proud of our accomplishments and experiences, not our unalterable genetic variations.

Michael Jackson could maybe have some pride for being white but only because he pushed the envelope and changed his skin color in lieu of what it would make other people say, but he's pretty much the only exception to this rule

If you are a certain race/ethnicity and have legitimately experienced some sort of oppression as a direct result of being said race/ethnicity, that's one thing. You ought to have pride for the accomplishments that lie within overcoming the trials and tribulations of being oppressed, but that's still not pride for your race.

However, if one wants to have white pride, all the power to them. I don't think it implies anything different than having black pride or hispanic pride, so go for it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Every month is white month. Every channel is the white channel. White privilege is everywhere in our culture.

White people rarely notice it, because they've never been without it.

Whiteness affords privileges that others are often excluded from having. It's the normative culture--which does not mean it should be the norm, it just is the norm from which all others are marked and labeled as The Other, and those marked as The Other usually aren't afforded the privileges that come with being from the norm.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Would feel a bit weird to take pride in the achievements of people I've never met and only have a tenuous (skin colour) link to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I see no purpose in pride in your skin color.
    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I have never really seen the point in having pride for a physical trait. I can't really control the fact that I'm white, so why the fuck would I be proud of it? I'm not ashamed if it, but lack of shame doesn't imply pride.
    These quotes pretty much describe how I feel about the concept of "white pride". I don't see it as terrible in itself, it just doesn't have much meaning. The suggestion that I should be proud of being white feels kind of like the suggestion that I should be proud of having ten toes. If my skin colour caused me to experience significant challenges in life or caused others to think less of me, then it would make sense to celebrate overcoming those challenges, and working to contradict those messages. It hasn't.

Also, as Usehername said, being white is considered the norm. People define themselves more by what separates them from others, and don't give as much thought to their average or "normal" traits. Someone who is 6'7'' is going to spend a lot more time thinking about his height than a 5'10" guy; someone of fairly average intellectual ability won't think to mention this in a self-description; and, likewise, a white person who's grown up in a 90% white area would not give much consideration to what it means to be white. This also means such a person isn't likely to feel any kind of...I don't know...identification with other Caucasians. They aren't going to feel particular pride in what other white people accomplished, feel its a reflection on all white people, etc. (I think there's some term in social psychology that describes this, but I can't recall it).

So, while I don't think people are automatically racist for so much as discussing this topic (so you can take off the blindfold ), I really don't see any reason besides racism for why someone might become deeply passionate about "white pride", passionate enough to start some kind of social movement. White people don't have much of a sense of shared history or identity (though specific ethnicities sometimes do), or shared trials, so what other meaning would "white pride" have, besides "white people are superior and should rule the world" ?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

No. However, I mostly dislike ethnic/racial pride of any sort.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    That's the thing, though.

Every month is white month. Every channel is the white channel. White privilege is everywhere in our culture.

White people rarely notice it, because they've never been without it.
    there are more whites on tv, more whites with money, more whites with nice cars and more whites on welfare.....maybe this is because there are MORE WHITES!

I'm not proud to be white and I'm not proud of anything that I was born into.

Not proud of being: an american, white, poor class, male, etc.

Proud of: becoming an atheist(born into a christian family), being a kind, empathetic individual(was not taught to be), not judging others based on the inherited traits, conditions, ancestory(not racist, nationalist or handicappist)
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”