User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No, they aren't. I don't know why you would say that, but it's not true. Frankly, I feel bad for you if you feel that way.
    What is the dividing line then? See I notice I keep asking you these questions and you have no response, which leads me to conclude that you are being obtuse.

I've asked you:
    What and who is white?
    What is white culture?
    What are white American cultural exports?
    What does it mean to be "Americanized" and "Westernized"?

I've given you at least a dozen examples of this, and you've shot down each one and provided ZERO counterexamples. You like to argue and I know that about you and I choose to engage you this time. But it's hard for me to take you seriously when you nitpick everything and provide no evidence for anything you've stated other than noise.

I'll even give you some examples black American culture:

Nappy-headed
    The Kitchen
    You "hard shoes" (stole this from the Irish but I don't hear many white people saying it)
    Jumping the broom
    Kwanzaa
    Juneteenth
    The Proud Lady
    Kente cloth (a West African export, where most African-Americans originate from)

Surely, if I can isolate particularly black American cultural artifacts, you can't identify particularly white American cultural artifacts? Unless you don't want to or better yet, they don't exist. Yes, that's it...they don't exist.

The vast majority of that wealth was created by having freer economic systems than most other places in the world. How did Ireland go from being one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the wealthiest? Must have been that Irish Empire we always hear about. . .
    It was/is a system based on exploitation and brutality. But it's capitalist so it doesn't matter.

Oh, and check out the book "How the Irish Became White" good read and chock full of how to become a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, i.e. become "Americanized."

Well, let's see: white Americans fought to rid themselves of the British Empire; Romans would not have been considered white people by old-school American standards; "Manifest Destiny" is simply the updated version of Pax Romana, and every other self-serving excuse for nationalistic self-aggrandizement; French fries are American, and the name is silly; we DO eat with chopsticks in America now that we have been introduced to Asian cuisine, jeez, I could keep going on.
    Please do, you're starting to get it!

What Americans send out to other countries make it better for them, too. Well, except for the military. That usually doesn't help.
    Yes, and what does America send out to other countries? American culture isn't impermeable to other cultures and that's a good thing.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

• religions their parents don't belong to
    • farmer's markets
    • organic foods
    • diversity
    • Asian girls
    • Non-Profit Organizations
    • having Black friends
    • yoga
    • gifted children
    • traveling
    • microbreweries
    • wine
    • snowboarding
    • Arrested Development
    • Apple products
    • Indie music
    • sushi
    • Arts degrees
    • vintage
    • Toyota Prius
    • Studying abroad
    • Threatening to move to Canada
    • bottles of water
    • multilingual children
    • graduate school
    • outdoor performance clothes
    • San Fransisco
    • unpaid internships
    • self aware hip hop references
    • hummus
    • promising to learn a new language
    • Black music that Black people don't listen to anymore
    • political prisoners
    • ugly sweater parties
    • taking a year off
    • funny or ironic tattoos
    • Moleskine notebooks
    • Vespa scooters

taken from the website Stuff White People Like
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFJ

If the only thing you can find in common with a group of people is a penchant for being megalomaniacal you're either not looking hard enough or not splitting them into nuanced enough groups.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

If you find yourself trapped in the middle of the woods without electricity, running water, or a car you would likely describe that situation as a “nightmare” or “a worse case scenario like after plane crash or something.” White people refer to it as “camping.”

When white people begin talking to you about camping they will do their best to tell you that it’s very easy and it allows them to escape the pressures and troubles of the urban lifestyle for a more natural, simplified, relaxing time. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In theory camping should be a very inexpensive activity since you are literally sleeping on the ground. But as with everything in white culture, the more simple it appears the more expensive it actually is.

Camping is a multi-day, multi-step, potentially lethal activity that will cost you a large amount of both time and money. Unless you are in some sort of position where you absolutely need the friendship of a white person, you should avoid camping at all costs.

The first stage of camping always involves a trip to an outdoor equipment store like REI (or in Canada, Mountain Equipment Co-Op). These stores are well known for their abundance of white customers and their extensive inventory of things for white people to buy and only use once. If you are ever tricked into going to one of these stores, you can make white people like you by saying things like “man, this Kayak is only $1200, if I use it 35 times I’ve already saved money over renting.” Note: do not actually buy the kayak.

Next, white people will then take this new equipment and load it into an SUV or Subaru Outback with a Thule or Yakima Roof Rack. Then they will drive for an extended period of time to a national park or campsite where they will pay an entrance fee and begin their journey. It is worth noting that white people are unaware of the irony of using a gas burning car to bring them closer to nature and it is not recommended that you point this out. It will ruin their weekend.

Once in the camp area, white people will walk around for a while, set up a tent, have a horrible night of sleep, walk around some more. Then get in the car and go home. This, of course, is a best case scenario. Worst case scenarios include: getting lost, poisoned, killed by an animal, and encountering an RV. Of these outcomes, the latter is seen by white people as the worst since it involves an encounter with the wrong kind of white people.

Conversely, any camping trip that ends in death at the hands of nature or requires the use of valuable government resources for a rescue is seen as relatively positive in white culture. This is because both situations might eventually lead to a book deal or documentary film about the experience.

Ultimately the best way to escape a camping trip with white people is to say that you have allergies. Since white people and their children are allergic to almost everything, they will understand and ask no further questions. You should not say something like “looking at history, the instances of my people encountering white people in the woods have not worked out very well for us.”
    #128 Camping
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    • taking a year off
    • Vespa scooters

LOL, when I graduated college way back in 2006 and was talking to people at my graduation I heard so much "I'm gonna backpack through Europe" that my eyes started to twitch. I thought to myself is anyone else concerned about how many months of forbearance and deferment they can leach out of the system?

Those damn Vespas. I almost got ran over by a sky blue one last summer.

Good times.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Pride is meant to imbue one's labor with a sense of worth.
    Yes, it is meant to do that. And it is commonly thought to do that. But pride derives from a sense of worthlessness.

After all, pride is described as the worst sin, and we are told that hubris, meaning pride, is followed by nemesis, meaning punishment.

I always feel slightly uncomfortable when a parent says they are proud of their child. I would prefer they say they loved them.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

In all things moderation.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    What is the dividing line then? See I notice I keep asking you these questions and you have no response, which leads me to conclude that you are being obtuse.

I've asked you:
    What and who is white?
    What is white culture?
    What are white American cultural exports?
    What does it mean to be "Americanized" and "Westernized"?
    1a) What is white? It's not for me to decide. As I've stated MULTIPLE times now, I don't believe that there is an overarching white culture in North America.

1b) Who is white? Also a tough question, but "a fair-skinned person of European descent" would be a working definition, I would say.

2a) White American cultural exports? Again, I don't think that many things are exclusively white. Even things like comic books or indie rock music have had non-white contributors and predecessors.

2b) What does it mean to be "Americanized" or "Westernized?" I would contextualize these concepts to mean adapting to the commonly-held attitudes of Western Civilization (liberal democracy, secular government, relatively free economic system, trying for upward social mobility).

I've given you at least a dozen examples of this, and you've shot down each one and provided ZERO counterexamples. You like to argue and I know that about you and I choose to engage you this time. But it's hard for me to take you seriously when you nitpick everything and provide no evidence for anything you've stated other than noise.
    It's not noise. YOU are making a statement that there is an overarching white culture, and I am saying that there is not. I've asked you to provide evidence, and most of the things you've brought up have been severely lacking.

I'll even give you some examples black American culture:

Nappy-headed
    The Kitchen
    You "hard shoes"
    Jumping the broom
    Kwanzaa
    Juneteenth
    The Proud Lady
    Kente cloth (a West African export, where most African-Americans originate from)

Surely, if I can isolate particularly black American cultural artifacts, you can't identify particularly white American cultural artifacts? Unless you don't want to or better yet, they don't exist. Yes, that's it...they don't exist.
    Really, what would be white American cultural artifacts? Not ones that SOME whites would identify with, but most or all. When I think about things that most white people I know enjoy, they are either not things that are inherently white (like rock music) or not things that are inherently American (like cooking or travel or movies or video games).

It was/is a system based on exploitation and brutality. But it's capitalist so it doesn't matter.

Oh, and check out the book "How the Irish Became White" good read and chock full of how to become a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, i.e. become "Americanized."
    Way to dodge the point entirely. Ireland became an economic power without taking colonies or exploiting any poorer countries. Are you going to argue that? If so, provide evidence. If not, then your assertions regarding wealth creation being based on exploitation fall apart. Someone as intelligent as you are should realize that making money is not a zero-sum game.

Please do, you're starting to get it!
    COOL!

Yes, and what does America send out to other countries? American culture isn't impermeable to other cultures and that's a good thing.
    All sorts of things. There is a huge thirst for American products and culture around the world. That is a good thing.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, it is meant to do that. And it is commonly thought to do that. But pride derives from a sense of worthlessness.

After all, pride is described as the worst sin, and we are told that hubris, meaning pride, is followed by nemesis, meaning punishment.

I always feel slightly uncomfortable when a parent says they are proud of their child. I would prefer they say they loved them.
    You have a lot of really awkward opinions that aren't very well thought out. Not a big picture type.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    • religions their parents don't belong to
    • farmer's markets
    • organic foods
    • diversity
    • Asian girls
    • Non-Profit Organizations
    • having Black friends
    • yoga
    • gifted children
    • traveling
    • microbreweries
    • wine
    • snowboarding
    • Arrested Development
    • Apple products
    • Indie music
    • sushi
    • Arts degrees
    • vintage
    • Toyota Prius
    • Studying abroad
    • Threatening to move to Canada
    • bottles of water
    • multilingual children
    • graduate school
    • outdoor performance clothes
    • San Fransisco
    • unpaid internships
    • self aware hip hop references
    • hummus
    • promising to learn a new language
    • Black music that Black people don't listen to anymore
    • political prisoners
    • ugly sweater parties
    • taking a year off
    • funny or ironic tattoos
    • Moleskine notebooks
    • Vespa scooters

I like some of those things, like hummus, black music that black people don't listen to anymore, wine, microbreweries, Arrested Development, and sushi.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"