User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Do all black people agree on what it is to be black.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you think hard you can come up with a few.

Apple Pie, hot dogs, and hamburgers
    Baseball and Football
    Cowboys, Injuns, and the idea of the Wild West
    Blond hair, blue eyes as the representation of the "typical" American
    Prom Queens
    Jocks
    Nerds
    The Bible Belt and The Midwest as representations of Americana (think Normal Rockwell)
    Coke vs. Pepsi
    Pure white Womanhood (southern belles, California girls, East Coast boarding school types, etc.)
    Superhero white men who always save the universe from certain doom (although Will Smith has made quite the dent in this)

...and the list goes on.

This is a pretty crappy list. None of those things (even blue eyes and fair hair) are unique to whites. Baseball and football?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Do all black people agree on what it is to be black.
    If you don't agree on what black culture is according to the black culture group then you don't join the group.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If you don't agree on what black culture is according to the black culture group then you don't join the group.
    You don't have to agree to join.

Everyone is just celebrating what their heritage means to them.

Enneagram
    1w2

This is always an interesting to see. It's been danced around in this thread, examples of what constitutes white pride. No one has of yet stepped up to the plate. I gave examples, care to throw some of your own into the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Are you kidding me? Maybe a long time ago, but not anymore.
    I'm talking about their roots as pasttimes for white Americans. It wasn't until the latter half of the 20th century that the color barriers in sports dissolved, but that doesn't extend to owning and managing teams where the real money is. So if you think a long time ago was say, 1945 at the earliest then sure, shrug it off.

okay, sure, but what about those Easterners?
    Ever been to New Jersey?

I've seen brown hair, blue eyes as more common
    That's fine but I'm giving you the typical representation, ya know "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" blondes jokes, and all that jazz.

...huh?
    White American High School groups. Come on, now you've seen this on TV and movies. They're common character tropes. Where do you they come from? Think American Pie and any other teen movie.

okay, but The Bible Belt and The Midwest have an awful lot of Blacks, too.
    I didn't say they didn't. Ever heard of the origins of the "Minnesota Normals" or the phrase "It won't play in Peoria?"

*doesn't quite get this one*
    Western cultural and capitalist imperialism, but I know merc, is going to go buckwild with this one so I won't go any further.

That sort of makes sense...
    Well thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is a pretty crappy list. None of those things (even blue eyes and fair hair) are unique to whites. Baseball and football?

Please feel free to provide your own. I'm sure I got those brain juices flowin.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 11-15-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: merged posts
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Enneagram
    1w2

More that just came to me: Uncle Sam, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Main Street, etc.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.

MBTI
    ESFJ

This is always an interesting to see. It's been danced around in this thread, examples of what constitutes white pride. No one has of yet stepped up to the plate. I gave examples, care to throw some of your own into the mix?
    I wouldn't know.

I'm talking about their roots as pasttimes for white Americans. It wasn't until the latter half of the 20th century that the color barriers in sports dissolved, but that doesn't extend to owning and managing teams where the real money is. So if you think a long time ago was say, 1945 at the earliest then sure, shrug it off.
    Black people were playing both of these sports long before the color barriers of the major sports leagues were broken. This is poor reasoning. You can't posit that baseball and football were white pastimes when black people were also playing them. You especially can't in 2009 when those sports are being dominated by Latin Americans and blacks, respectively.

Ever been to New Jersey?
    Grew up across the Delaware River from there.

That's fine but I'm giving you the typical representation, ya know "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" blondes jokes, and all that jazz.
    What is a "gentlemen prefer blondes" joke? Or are those two separate things?

White American High School groups. Come on, now you've seen this on TV and movies. They're common character tropes. Where do you they come from? Think American Pie and any other teen movie.
    Those groups exist in every racial cohort. You think there aren't black prom queens, jocks, or nerds? It's not like they are copying white people with those clique distinctions. They're universal.

[QUOTE]I didn't say they didn't. Ever heard of the origins of the "Minnesota Normals" or the phrase "It won't play in Peoria?"

"It won't play in Peoria" is a reference to appealing to all sectors of America, rather than just the supposed "sophisticates" on the coasts. Peoria is 25% African-American, BTW.

Western cultural and capitalist imperialism, but I know merc, is going to go buckwild with this one so I won't go any further.
    I will keep it brief and simply ask "black people don't drink soda?"

Please feel free to provide your own. I'm sure I got those brain juices flowin.
    I really don't feel that there is an overarching white culture in the United States circa-2009. Even Stuff White People Like is really only accurate for a small subset of white people. Things that lots of people consider to be super-white aren't even like that anymore. Golf, tennis, Star Trek, libertarianism. All of these activities have minorities in positions of eminence nowadays.

MBTI
    ESFJ

More that just came to me: Uncle Sam, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, etc.
    Johnny Appleseed was a real person. And how about John Henry? Is he part of white culture?

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Johnny Appleseed was a real person. And how about John Henry? Is he part of white culture?
    Yes, he is. Thank you for finding the black speck on my white cotton sheets.

Do you have some examples to provide of your own or will you continue to nitpick with mine?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes, he is. Thank you for finding the black speck on my white cotton sheets.

Do you have some examples to provide of your own or will you continue to nitpick with mine?
    Why do I need to provide examples? My contention is that there is no overarching white culture in the United States in 2009. Do you want to prove that by talking about every difference between white people by age, geography, socioeconomic status, ancestral ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and belief system? I said earlier that I feel that I have more in common with my black neighbor than I do with a working-class white man in the Bible Belt. Do I need to provide evidence for this?