User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    They get a black union, we get a white union.
    Alright, go to the quad and start gathering your white brothers.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Not all of them. Minnesota has a growing population of Somalian immigrants. Barack O'Bama is half-African because his dad was Kenyan, not because his dad was descended from African slaves brought to the US.
    I did write "most."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No question there, but there also more shared experiences for minorities for many different reasons (history of slavery/reservation system, immigrant/first-generation-American status, etc). Personally, I am not big on any organization that puts such strong emphasis on group characteristics that outside of anyone's control. I look at people on an individual basis. However, it only makes sense that people with similar backgrounds and experiences would want to group together to share. It becomes problematic when it sets people apart, and that is the issue with most proposed white student organizations. Of course, in a publicly-funded university, I don't think that student organizations should be able to keep people out based on race, anyway, so it would be nice to see white students in the Black Student Union, black students in the Asian Student Union, and whatever, as long as they adhered to by-laws of the group. I would wonder if a White Student Union would allow members of other races and the multiracial a voice.
    Do you have white in you?

If so then cool.

EDIT: it doesnt make sense to have a WHITE student union and accept people with no Caucasian heritage.

MORE IMPORTANT EDIT: I cannot emphasize strongly enough that I'm not racist. I'm just being my races advocate.

Enneagram
    1w2

Maybe we could define what our culture was if we could get the damn student union in the first place.
    Good idea. I think white people need to define what it means to be racially white. From there would stem an idea of white culture.

Other racial and ethnic minorities have good experience with this, if only the first indicator is not being white as marker. That begins the process of identification.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ESFJ

If so then cool.

EDIT: it doesnt make sense to have a WHITE student union and accept people with no Caucasian heritage.

MORE IMPORTANT EDIT: I cannot emphasize strongly enough that I'm not racist. I'm just being my races advocate.
    I already said that I think that black groups should allow friendly whites to be members (in public schools). I think private schools should allow whatever they want. I also think that they should be allowed to discriminate as they see fit.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I already said that I think that black groups should allow friendly whites to be members (in public schools). I think private schools should allow whatever they want. I also think that they should be allowed to discriminate as they see fit.
    Good deal.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If so then cool.

"We descended from people who came to America because of the overcrowding and opportunity and we didn't want to get mixed up in the crazy fucking stuff going on in Europe in the 1800s"

There. Common bond. Don't let anyone in who doesn't fit that criteria.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Good idea. I think white people need to define what it means to be racially white. From there would stem an idea of white culture.

Other racial and ethnic minorities have good experience with this, if only the first indicator is not being white as marker. That begins the process of identification.

Why SHOULD there be a "white culture?" I don't feel the need for one.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Your feelings don't extinguish my rights.

MBTI
    ENFJ

White immigrants mostly came to the US for the same reason why most people did. And it's wrong to say that discrimination against them didn't happen -- it only makes sense to say that it didn't last nearly as long. I mean, come on, in the sixties, many people wouldn't vote for Kennedy because he was Catholic.

The only exceptions to this that makes sense are Native Americans (here first and then oppressed) and then Blacks (as in, people descended from slaves, taken here by force, oppressed).
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge