Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Seperation of church and state doesn't mean they can't associate with each other on certain points. In fact religious institutions are often important actors in promoting social cohesion and virtues that are necessary for the survival of the body politic.

*Yay 5000 posts*
    While I may agree with you, (I do agree, in fact) I am not the person who needs convincing of this...I simply say that it will not happen because there are so many other people in this country who would throw a fit about it and point to seperation of church and state as their constitutional defense.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I am pretty sure it is happening now and has been since W. Funding Opportunities I could be misunderstanding, though.
    That's great - I did not know that. Thanks for the link.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    That's great - I did not know that. Thanks for the link.
    Yeah, this was one of the only issues I actually agreed with W on. I was surprised at the backlash from people I usually agree with. Seemed to me that the benefit of having people in the community serving the community outweighed any strict interpretation of the separation of church and state.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    While I may agree with you, (I do agree, in fact) I am not the person who needs convincing of this...I simply say that it will not happen because there are so many other people in this country who would throw a fit about it and point to seperation of church and state as their constitutional defense.
    Well as usual their understanding of constitutional law is mistaken.

MBTI
    INTP

So....when you go above the grassroots level to the leadership of the movement....does anyone here actually believe that social conservatism is about ANYTHING other than getting little old church ladies, middle age evangelicals and other assorted conditioned-from-early-childhood-to-be-ubergullible types to vote for republican corporate shills who actually couldn't give a flying fuck about the prurient provincial overconcern with other people's sex lives(but pretend to for age-old machiavellian purposes)?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

^Yes.

MBTI
    INTP

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    ^Yes.
    Why do you think so?

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar View Post
    So....when you go above the grassroots level to the leadership of the movement....does anyone here actually believe that social conservatism is about ANYTHING other than getting little old church ladies, middle age evangelicals and other assorted conditioned-from-early-childhood-to-be-ubergullible types to vote for republican corporate shills who actually couldn't give a flying fuck about the prurient provincial overconcern with other people's sex lives(but pretend to for age-old machiavellian purposes)?
    That's not really fair. Some of the leaders caricature themselves to the point where it's hard to take what they say at face value. But many are sincere and are important voices in the national debate. By the way, kinda patronizing to suggest that the only people who would listen to them are "ubergullible." Of all the conservatives I've had the pleasure of arguing with, it's the social conservatives who seem to come at it from the most honest position. Yeah, there are always the bigots and crazies, but they're a headline-grabbing minority.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

1. Do away with no-fault divorces.
    2. Strengthen labor unions [the need for multiple incomes adds stress to marriages].
    3. Mandating a year of national or military service [re-teaching the ethic of duty].
    4. Use public funds to bring jobs back to old industrial towns [cut back on transient communities]
    5. Support same-sex marriage. [Marriage is a social stabilizer]
    6. Increase the minimum wage. [money issues are the number one cause of divorce]
    7. Teach character and civic values in school [hopefully encouraging participation in basic institutions, whether religious, civic, or community-oriented]
    8. Stiffer prison sentences for violent offenders [crime kills neighborhoods]
    9. Strict banking and wall street regulations [greed hurts families and communities]
    10. Public support of faith-based organizations [they feed the hungry and house the poor effectively]
    11. Medicare for all. [medical catastrophes lead to bankruptcy; bankruptcy hurts families.]
    12. Stricter gun control laws [see #8]
    1. Maybe. Some people just fall out of love. But I reckon if you are planning to have children with your current partner then yes, you should be ileligible for a no-fault divorce until the youngest child has reached 16/18.
    2. Yes
    3. No, if someone is a pacifist and dosen't want to fight why should they?
    4. No, but I'd rather have greater restrictions on companies shipping out jobs to forigen countries to India or China
    5. Yes
    6. Yes
    7. Yes
    8. Yes. Violent offenders deserve time.
    9. Yes
    10. Yes, so long as the institution dosen't exclude those who aren't of that particular faith.
    11. Every developed country in the world has UHC one way or another. I don't see why the US should be excluded
    12. No, so long as people are using guns sensibly there is no need.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

1. Families are less stable than they used to be. Negative
    3. Social mores regarding behavior have deteriorated. Positive
    4. There is less deference to previous generations or their values. Depends
    5. Community, national, religious institutions have become less relevant. Positive/Neutral
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris