User Tag List

First 91011

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Because a lifelong commitment is what distinguishes marriage from other relationships. If there is no expectation of permanence, what's the point?
    It's more the sanction of the state or religious structure that distinguishes it. It's the community saying "it's OK for these two to exclusively have sex with each other" (even though it was more "this man owns exclusive rights to sex with this woman" back in the day)

I'm skeptical about a lot of the online social networking because in a lot of ways, it solidifies fractures in society. You don't have to get along with your neighbor, because you don't need them to be a part of your social network: you can connect only with people who share your interests. As for online activism - I don't know how you would measure success. Sure, it's easy to mobilize for a petition or a protest (look at the tea partiers, for example). But even that's splintered into a million different ideologies with nothing in common.
    Coalition-building - isn't it grand?

Is your sense that it has increased or decreased?
    Definitely increased. Whack-job religion is on the rise and mainstream religion on the decline, just by asses-in-seats.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's more the sanction of the state or religious structure that distinguishes it. It's the community saying "it's OK for these two to exclusively have sex with each other" (even though it was more "this man owns exclusive rights to sex with this woman" back in the day)
    I just don't share that cynicism. I think marriage is security for each partner; it's saying "I'm not looking anymore. You're the only one I'm ever going to want." Each person can take a deep breath - they've found someone they can count on for the rest of their lives and that fact is a matter of legal and ceremonial record.

Coalition-building - isn't it grand?
    Not so much in practice. I spent years as a grassroots organizer, and coalition work in this environment is a nightmare. There are just so many factions, and so many people unwilling to compromise. Activism is a weird little game now.

Definitely increased. Whack-job religion is on the rise and mainstream religion on the decline, just by asses-in-seats.
    I'm going to have to disagree. Part of what you have to look at when considering whether it's on the rise or in decline is the age demographic. Yeah, there are a couple of documentaries (Jesus Camp comes to mind) that imply that evangelical Christianity is on the rise with the young, but that isn't really confirmed in any polling data, or even just anecdotally. Even the face of evangelical Christianity has softened in the last 20 years. The Robertson and Falwell crowd is out (or dead), while the Rick Warrens of the world are stepping in. Not to mention left-leaning evangelism, like with Jim Wallis or the Red Letter Christians.