User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default China complains cheap U.S. chicken hurts domestic production

I know it's not a new story, but does this strike you as a little... ironic?

BEIJING - China on Sunday started investigating complaints that American chicken products are being dumped in China and are unfairly benefiting from subsidies, adding to a string of trade disputes with Washington.

The Commerce Ministry said the probe was launched Sunday on broiler products and chicken products, following requests by Chinese companies to investigate the U.S. imports they say are hurting the domestic industry.
    China investigating imports of U.S. chicken - World business- msnbc.com

U.S. tire tariffs threaten China chicken trade - MarketWatch

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

Tariffs have been shown to make BOTH countries worse off economically. They really only benefit the politically-connected manufacturers and farmers.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Not really surprising, no. The US is very good at making cheap food.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It looks like no one got the joke...

Americans are always complaining about how cheap Chinese goods are hurting domestic industries. The reason this is ironic, is because China is complaining about OUR goods.

Considering how many cheap Chinese goods we import, it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. I guess it's not as funny as I thought. Ah, well.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It looks like no one got the joke...

Americans are always complaining about how cheap Chinese goods are hurting domestic industries. The reason this is ironic, is because China is complaining about OUR goods.

Considering how many cheap Chinese goods we import, it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. I guess it's not as funny as I thought. Ah, well.
    We know.

We're just saying that we also know that cheap Chinese knick-knacks are to the rest of the world just as cheap US food is to the rest of the world. UStatiennes just don't notice this.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

This is actually political games and an attack on the others economy.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ESFJ

I never understood "cheap" being an insult for a good or service. "You come over here with your inexpensive, popular products! You're taking jobs away from us! We NEED to make our overpriced, crappy stuff!"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    We know.

We're just saying that we also know that cheap Chinese knick-knacks are to the rest of the world just as cheap US food is to the rest of the world. UStatiennes just don't notice this.
    Well, I guess it makes sense, now that you mention it. I mean, the one thing that America is very well-equipped for is Agricultural production. The government endorses it, we have a lot of land, and we tend to process meat in very inhumane but efficient ways at times, while the government turns a blind eye...

I never knew that American food was so cheap. I'm not so well informed about the workings of the economy as I thought, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I never understood "cheap" being an insult for a good or service. "You come over here with your inexpensive, popular products! You're taking jobs away from us! We NEED to make our overpriced, crappy stuff!"
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, one argument I used to hear was that Chinese goods were inferior in quality to American goods because they were produced in sweatshops, Chinese people are less skilled/educated, or something, but I'm actually finding that Chinese goods usually last about as long as goods made anywhere else, and that it depends more on the company that made it than where it was made. I have stuff made in China that has lasted for 10+ years, so I'm becoming wary of that argument.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

What I meant to say is. Neither gives a sod about cheap or chicken, they care about power and profit. China is now one of the biggest super powers, they are trying to hurt the US economy and vice versa. 10 years ago this wouldn't have been a story. Now times have changed.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~