User Tag List

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

Default The War on Pirates

...Is a success!

BBC NEWS | Technology | Net pirates to be 'disconnected'

Whooo! Yeah, a major blow has been struck! What's that mean!?!

The pay-off for tough penalties against persistent file-sharers would be a more relaxed copyright regime
    It means we win!
    Everyone is a case study.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It sounds good on paper, but I worry that the legislation would end up, as it usually does, a big, blunt stick that beats down anything in its path.

A good effort, though. The point that was made about hijacking wi-fi connections was one of my main concerns. That and the use of proxies to hide IP addresses. Both things render the legislation useless as you can't disconnect all users at a local internet cafe or other wi-fi enabled public location. Well, I suppose you could, but it would upset a lot of customers and cause the places to lose business and face some serious technical complications (such as a hotel).

So, a good effort, but they need to think about all of the ways people can easily get around letting their IP address be known.

And what's with people declaring "war" on things that aren't countries? Have people forgotten how serious declaring war is?
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

This won't do much to stop file-sharing. For better or for worse, the free and open sharing of information on the net will continue. Probably for the better.

All hail the international Pirate Party!

MBTI
    INTP

Thinking about the larger picture, I'm not really concerned. The old business model of paying for an album is outdated, and will give way to the more open business models (free to download, download with donation, etc) of information exchange. Companies that adopt the new business models will survive, while companies that stubbornly demand that consumers conform to the old models will eventually fail. *shrug*

The consumers have already spoken. Sometimes the government and companies forget who has ultimate control of the market.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Pirates will always make an epic comeback to those against them.

MBTI
    ISTP

*Yawns* Considering identification isn't required to get an internet connection (at least here in the US), this seems idiotic. On the other hand, I much prefer useless legislation I don't like, over legislation that does something I don't like.

On the "War on Pirates"....I'd say the copyright holders are the "pirates" at this point, they fly in, take quick potshots at a random target, get a little "prize" and then leave, never endangering the fleet, just being a minor nuisance.

Anyway: Stopping piracy is utterly impossible, and not a law in the world is going to save the companies that refuse to adapt (Especially music companies). There are far too many ways to pirate, the courts will never be a reasonable option, because the volume of people is too great except for "deterrence", and lastly....new protocols and methods of sharing files come out constantly, eliminate one, and you have accomplished nothing.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTj

Why should public money be spent on enforcing business policies for private corporations?

Ah, I thought it's the somalian again...