User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Discuss whether counter protesting is effective.
    With these nutters, no.

I'm in their state, and we're sadly used to the, by now. Whackjobs all. I hate being lumped into the same religion as them when they're so obviously batshit.:steam:
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I hesitate to argue with you Ivy 'cause you are so nice. But I can't help thinking that the voice of God is revealed in the Bible.

And while science is empirical, Christianity is based on revelation. That is why it is called revealed religion. And indeed the last book of the Bible is called, "Revelations".

I rather like this because as I think, things reveal themselves to me. And I find it very pleasant to have revelations on a personal level.

I find to approach something empirically is hard work, while a revelation is a mini satori.

We all know now that revelation must be subject to reason. And indeed Peguy tells us that the doctrine of his Church is called, "Faith and Reason".

So you might say that the world is revealed to us by our parents. And even we ourselves are revealed to us by our parents. And it is only as we grow older and develop our critical faculties that we can apply reason to revelation.

And once again Peguy tells us that his Church regards the age of reason to be seven years. So I conclude, prior to that everything is revelatory.

And how lovely it is to be a child with loving parents and have everything revealed to you and for you.
    IMO, the Bible was indeed recorded by people who had revelations. But also IMO, many people do, and have. And I'm not entirely sure what the source of it is. Maybe it's just intuition (not the MBTI kind). In any case, the nature of revelation is nonverbal and instantaneous, as well as specific to a time and a place and even an individual, so not everything translates into the written word exactly as it was revealed. And having a revelation does not mean that your every step thereafter will be completely perfect as we are not perfect creatures.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    IMO, the Bible was indeed recorded by people who had revelations. But the nature of revelation is nonverbal and instantaneous, as well as specific to a time and a place and even an individual, so not everything translates into the written word exactly as it was revealed. And having a revelation does not mean that your every step thereafter will be completely perfect as we are not perfect creatures.
    Quite so.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Apparently they're targeting my school because it's wealthy, big, and diverse. They're going to be there when kids are driving to school so even though it's not exactly ON the school day it's going to be extremely disruptive to people entering the parking lot.

A new group at school called the 'diversity alliance' are staging a silent counter protest. Everyone at school is really upset about this.

They protested at my highschool a few years back because the theatre department did a production of The Laramie Project.

My best advice is to focus on the positive if you want to counter-protest. Don't make it into an anti-WBC thing because that's EXACTLY what they're after. So instead organize a pro-diversity rally or something of the sort. Don't engage them directly in a confrontation because that's just the attention they're after. Your celebration of diversity or whatever you want to call it will draw a much larger crowd anyway. Overall, it's just a much more positive approach.
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I once heard speculation somewhere that WBC was phony; just done as a caricature of Christians. Like the site Landoverbaptist.com.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I once heard speculation somewhere that WBC was phony; just done as a caricature of Christians. Like the site Landoverbaptist.com.
    Fred Phelps is a bizarre character. He was a lawyer and he represented a lot of black clients in civil rights cases, and then sued Ronald Reagan for appointing an ambassador to the Vatican, claiming a First Amendment Establishment Clause violation. He's been disbarred for like thirty years.

EDIT: This wiki is hilarious. "Homosexuals and Jews dominated Nazi Germany..." Really? You coulda fooled me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I know some Christians think this is anathema, but I don't really think of the bible as "the voice of God." I don't believe the voice of God can be nailed down in words. The Bible and the Torah are holy books because they're the only links we have to the earliest practitioners of Judeo-Christian faith. I don't think we were ever meant to be static, though. People like to record things and try to stick to them, even though it's the nature of all things to change (see: grammar). Changeable is how we were made, why not embrace it?

I believe that this is probably similar to what you were intimating but I can never be sure.
    Are you familiar with Walter J. Ong? Orality and literacy? The difference between epistemology in completely illiterate cultures vs. literate cultures and what we should and should not take as equally worthwhile accounts? Am I sure why I have so many question marks in this response?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    SEXY

Apparently they're targeting my school because it's wealthy, big, and diverse. They're going to be there when kids are driving to school so even though it's not exactly ON the school day it's going to be extremely disruptive to people entering the parking lot.

A new group at school called the 'diversity alliance' are staging a silent counter protest. Everyone at school is really upset about this.

I'm usually a pacifist, I'm also very good at seeing other people's points of view, finally I'm also 100% for freedom of expression.

And despite these things my honest opinion about what you should is; shoot them between the eyes. This is not intended sarcastic, I will f***ing worship you if you pick up a gun and exterminate every last one of those bastards.

:steam:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I find to approach something empirically is hard work, while a revelation is a mini satori.

We all know now that revelation must be subject to reason.
    So how is revelation subject to reason if it doesn't require any hard work or evaluation according to standards of reason?

Isn't revelation, by nature, inherently unreasonable? It has to be explained supernaturally (if at all) because there's no reasonable explanation.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?