User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Sniffles

It's well known that homosexuality was widespread in the Nazi paramilitary Stormtroopers, including it's commander Ernst Röhm. This did cause a considerable amount of scandal for the Nazis' public image.

Homosexuality was also legalized in parts of Nazi-occupied Europe(particularly Poland), as part of their greater strategy to undermine the morale of subjected peoples.

So again, I wouldn't go there.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think it would be funny Peguy, im not exactly understanding how from your point that it would be a bad idea.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    When will the government DO something about this subversive, backwards cult? They've been creating trouble for way too long.

These kind of people are why I don't feel safe.
    Because protesting is protected and as long as they are not breaking laws, they have every right to do it, just like you have the right to protest against it. I know communities have gotten very creative at discouraging it (billing the KKK/White Supremacists for extra police and sanitation when they march) but other than motorcycle bodyguards I have not heard what they are doing to stem these protests.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What do you think the government should do about how they practice their religion? As distasteful as I find them, I find the idea of them being sanctioned for their beliefs by the government even more so.
    And like Peguy, dear Ivy is also right - the cure would be worse than the disease.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    I think it would be funny Peguy, im not exactly understanding how from your point that it would be a bad idea.
    It's very simple. You could try claiming they're like Hitler, and assuming a few of them would know their history - they can easily call your bluff. Odds are they won't, but then ethically you're still engaging in an intellectual swindle.

Besides, drawing analogies between people you oppose and the Nazis has become rather tedious and asinine nowadays.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    she's probably some form of demon.
    That's only what a Christian from another denomination would say.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's very simple. You could try claiming they're like Hitler, and assuming a few of them would know their history - they can easily call your bluff. Odds are they won't, but then ethically you're still engaging in an intellectual swindle then.

Besides, drawing analogies between people you oppose and the Nazis has become rather tedious and asinine nowadays.
    I realize it's silly of me to even defend my joke, but anyway:

I think it adds to the humor that Nazis upheld gay relation rights, and that the leader of the most notorious anti-everyone-else group would be butt raping Fred Phelps.

I think the larger concern is how anal sex is used as a joke connecting two horrible people, which would anger some of the homosexual-rights community. Not to mention that this may incite violence from the WBC, or may encourage them to push the obscenities further.

So yeah, let's get on to more effective means of counter-protesting.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

It's very simple. You could try claiming they're like Hitler, and assuming a few of them would know their history - they can easily call your bluff. Odds are they won't, but then ethically you're still engaging in an intellectual swindle.

Your right of course. But if the only point was to piss them off I believe it would be quite effective.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Kangol View Post
    So yeah, let's get on to more effective means of counter-protesting.
    [YOUTUBE="Ra_fAYl4Th4"]Michael Moore vs Westboro Baptist Church[/YOUTUBE]
    SDMF

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would have to agree with this.

Doing everything the opposite of the way the Nazis did it doesn't guarantee that we're better than them.

Truthfully, the only thing the Nazis did wrong was mistreat Jewish people and behave in a very prejudiced manner. That doesn't make everything else they did, such as strict organization and tighter government control, inherently bad.

Did they do something evil? Yes. Does that mean all their ideas are tainted by that evil, and should always be avoided? No, some of it was just strategic practicality. Evil =/= stupid.

Basically, my theory is that just because one aspect of a regime is evil, doesn't mean that everything about the regime is automatically evil. That's the opinion we tend to form in order feel more justified in fighting such regimes (which is in the best interests of everyone concerned), but it's not the whole story.

In other words, trying to rid ourselves of anything that could be construed as "nazi-like" is missing the point. We should only be focused on reducing injustice, not on avoiding having qualities similar to those of people who behaved in an unjust manner. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and doesn't prevent different kinds of injustice from appearing.