User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

The more counter-protests they receive the more persecuted they feel and in turn they feel even more validated in their message. They've protested the military base that I'm stationed at before. I drove by their "display". I just feel sorry for them because of how pitiful they are. They're hypocrites to the core, but unfortunately they have a twisted way to justify all of their hate messages (at least in their eyes). Hell, the lead lady Shirley Phelps has an illegitimate child... Fuck 'em.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    As long as the Bible has passages like this in it...

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

...we shouldn't be that surprised people like Phelps exist. No matter what your interpretation of the Bible is, it does clearly have anti-gay passages. Most won't take them seriously, or they'll put them in their proper historical context, but others won't, or they'll just use them to justify a pre-existing prejudice. I think it's time for Christians to cut the Old Testament loose. It's a little too old.
    As noted before, this is an example of the 'act' of having gay sex. The part about 'death' though was a law in a seperate country at the time though, and isn't relevant. Writing down man's law from another country as a historical account does not translate into being the word of god >.>;

There's a few mentionings of stuff like that in the bible, and people seem to take them out of context as they please. In some cases, rape is justified by the law of the country at the time. But those don't count. The whole 'zomg gays' thing is just the law of the country at the time, except those do count, because people want it to.

Honestly though, the entire book of leviticus is screwed up beyond belief and virtually all the hate mongering from christians in general comes from that one single chapter. Just assume that chapter is FLAT OUT WRONG and suddenly the rest of the bible makes alot more sense.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    As noted before, this is an example of the 'act' of having gay sex. The part about 'death' though was a law in a seperate country at the time though, and isn't relevant. Writing down man's law from another country as a historical account does not translate into being the word of god >.>;

There's a few mentionings of stuff like that in the bible, and people seem to take them out of context as they please. In some cases, rape is justified by the law of the country at the time. But those don't count. The whole 'zomg gays' thing is just the law of the country at the time, except those do count, because people want it to.

Honestly though, the entire book of leviticus is screwed up beyond belief and virtually all the hate mongering from christians in general comes from that one single chapter. Just assume that chapter is FLAT OUT WRONG and suddenly the rest of the bible makes alot more sense.

One of the few things David Cross has said with which I agree was "The Bible was written thousands of years ago, when people were even DUMBER than they are now."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

Or we could stop making any debased assumptions. That is the real culprit to much of this sort of behavior, no?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    One of the few things David Cross has said with which I agree was "The Bible was written thousands of years ago, when people were even DUMBER than they are now."
    Because someone knows of less doesn't make them less intelligent.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Because someone knows of less doesn't make them less intelligent.
    I don't know about that. They were certainly more ignorant, but I think people two to three millennia ago probably had lower IQ's, as well. People with more brainpower would adapt better and produce more offspring, and better nutrition and medicine would allow more and faster development.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Also, don't forget Deuteronomy, Genesis, Corinthians, Ezekiel, Exodus... even Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John have their share of messed up backwards crap.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Also, don't forget Deuteronomy, Genesis, Corinthians, Ezekiel, Exodus... even Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John have their share of messed up backwards crap.
    Leviticus is particularly silly because of the list of rules that are silly. You can read the Gospels and take nice life lessons from some of the parables while not believing that Jesus Christ was the Son of God who rose from the dead.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know about that. They were certainly more ignorant, but I think people two to three millennia ago probably had lower IQ's, as well. People with more brainpower would adapt better, and better nutrition and medicine would allow better and faster development.
    No doubt. Even in the last 100 years, IQ has risen. It's called the Flynn effect.

MBTI
    INTP

Leviticus is particularly silly because of the list of rules that are silly. You can read the Gospels and take nice life lessons from some of the parables while not believing that Jesus Christ was the Son of God who rose from the dead.
    Yes. Maybe we should abolish the Abrahamic religions and take all the good nuggets from Christianity, Islam, and Judaism and make a nice coffee table book.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yes. Maybe we should abolish the Abrahamic religions and take all the good nuggets from Christianity, Islam, and Judaism and make a nice coffee table book.
    What if I don't have a coffee table?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."