User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Default R&R

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    So how is revelation subject to reason if it doesn't require any hard work or evaluation according to standards of reason?

Isn't revelation, by nature, inherently unreasonable? It has to be explained supernaturally (if at all) because there's no reasonable explanation.
    What a good question. And you are right - reason and revelation live in different houses. And the houses are part of a Venn diagram. And where they overlap, you find that part of revelation is reasonable, and part of reason is revelatory. And it is the same part for both.

Revelation is fertile, while reason loves reality. So revelation always gives reason something to do - reason is always applying the reality check to the works of revelation.

So reason and revelation are in a constant dance - and reason can't live without revelation, and revelation can't live without reason.

And together they give birth to the dance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I'm usually a pacifist, I'm also very good at seeing other people's points of view, finally I'm also 100% for freedom of expression.

And despite these things my honest opinion about what you should is; shoot them between the eyes. This is not intended sarcastic, I will f***ing worship you if you pick up a gun and exterminate every last one of those bastards.

:steam:
    let's do it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

"Fag Jew Nazis are worse than ordinary Nazis." I was not aware of that!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    "Fag Jew Nazis are worse than ordinary Nazis." I was not aware of that!

Wait, aren't those mutually exclusive?
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
    Bertolucci says no, but I don't think that is what Rev. Phelps was going for.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I'm usually a pacifist, I'm also very good at seeing other people's points of view, finally I'm also 100% for freedom of expression.

And despite these things my honest opinion about what you should is; shoot them between the eyes. This is not intended sarcastic, I will f***ing worship you if you pick up a gun and exterminate every last one of those bastards.

:steam:
    you're making a caricature of yourself in saying that
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
    Actually a fair number of nazi's were jews who just hid their beliefs so as not to be condemned. A fair number of gays were jews who just hid their beliefs so as not to be condemned. It would stand to reason that there were probably a few that fell under all three categories.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

As long as the Bible has passages like this in it...

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

...we shouldn't be that surprised people like Phelps exist. No matter what your interpretation of the Bible is, it does clearly have anti-gay passages. Most won't take them seriously, or they'll put them in their proper historical context, but others won't, or they'll just use them to justify a pre-existing prejudice. I think it's time for Christians to cut the Old Testament loose. It's a little too old.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Functor View Post
    you're making a caricature of yourself in saying that
    Explain to me then, why the world would be better of if idiots like this live.

I wouldn't go and seek them out to pull the trigger myself, but I place their dangerous ideologies on par with those of Osama Bin Laden (I'm not calling them terrorists, that's about actions, I'm judging their dangerous ideas.)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Apparently they're targeting my school because it's wealthy, big, and diverse. They're going to be there when kids are driving to school so even though it's not exactly ON the school day it's going to be extremely disruptive to people entering the parking lot.

A new group at school called the 'diversity alliance' are staging a silent counter protest. Everyone at school is really upset about this.

Discuss whether counter protesting is effective.
    I can't take these people seriously. I think they just want attention.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com