User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

Unfortunately deciduous trees exist also in the most extreme of climate.
    An excuse for the mob to show their muscle.
    So the people living there planted them there just for show, despite the impracticality of keeping them alive? Well, then I suggest maybe moving to a relatively uninhabited area of desert/arctic terrain. There aren't likely to be many trees with leaves there. And of course, where there are few people, leaf blowers don't show up that often.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    You might find some respite (from leaf blowers anyway ) at one of the locations listed here:

Deserts and xeric shrublands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suggest a pair of these ear plugs as a more efficient escape:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...11&cat=1,42207
    A doctor has forbidden the desert. You could not breath there. You need all the air you can get. The rainfall sweeps the dust away.
    Another doctor has forbidden the earplugs for quite the same reason. Your ears need all the air they can get.

I never understood how people could use earplugs. I cannot use them one second. I never understood how people can live in the desert either.

Thank you all the same.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    So the people living there planted them there just for show, despite the impracticality of keeping them alive? Well, then I suggest maybe moving to a relatively uninhabited area of desert/arctic terrain. There aren't likely to be many trees with leaves there. And of course, where there are few people, leaf blowers don't show up that often.
    The problem is not the trees. The problem is the leaf blowers, or rather the insane people who give orders to use them.

They do not use them to get the leaves. This is what I said in the OP. The leaves are a pretext. They would use the leaf blowers anyway. This is a psychological problem. And a philosophical one. Not to say anything about history.

The future generations will remember the 20th Century as the era of the World Wars. The 21st Century they will remember as the time when the inherent madness of mankind went rampant.
    The Era of the Leaf Blower.

When I was a child the loonies used to yell at people in the streetcorners. It was unpleasant.
    Even though in those days most of the loonies were locked in. One day the politicians decided to close the loonyhouses. It seemed a sound decision at the time because the leaf blower had not been invented yet.

You did not know this. I know. You think the leaf blower was always there. This is understandable.

I tell you the secret. The was a time when the leaf blower did not exist. It is a relatively new invention. I was pushing fifty when I saw the first specimen.

I tell you what happened.
    Suddenly there was this hideous blare from the confines of hell.
    The sound I had never heard before.
    It came from the street.
    I looked out of the window.
    There I saw, on the other side of the street, a man in a blue overall, stepping around the lawn.

So I went to interview the chap.
    I asked him why he is doing this? Have I done something to him?
    Have I hurt his dog?

He said he has nothing against me personally. No, he does not even own a dog.
    He said he is blowing leaves.
    I asked why you have to blow leaves. The trees have been there for millions of years.
    The wind blows the leaves. You do not need a machine for the event.

He said he is only following orders.

This is what they all say.

Eichman was following orders when he killed six million Jews.

Ribbentrop, the wine licker, was following orders when he gave Stalin the go ahead to threaten Romania to give up Bessarabia, and to attack Poland, Finland, the Baltic countries.
    The outcome: A hundred million people dead.

Where is the good old time civil disobedience? What is happening to us?

We are following orders again.

The Silence of the Leaf Blowers
    Joanna Glasner Email 09.23.05 | 2:00 AM

The PB-460LN, made by Echo, generates noise levels of 65 decibels. Earlier models were several times noisier.
    View Slideshow View Slideshow

John Fricke says he doesn't mind seeing a few leaves on lawns and sidewalks in the concrete-convered neighborhood where he lives in Emeryville, Calif. The noise from people cleaning up the leaves, however, is another story.

"The other day, I was taking my daughters to school ... and there was one guy outside using a gas-powered leaf blower, and another using a gas-powered weed whipper," said Fricke, who is now leading a local effort to ban the devices and their ear-splitting screams, produced by up to 10 fans spinning at 4800 RPM to 6000 RPM.

Fricke isn't alone. Noise complaints are creating dust-ups across the country between residents in search of peace and quiet and high-tech leaf blower manufacturers who say proposals to ban their products ignore the science. New technologies have led to breakthroughs in blower noise reduction, the companies argue, quelling the whine of the high-velocity fans and bringing many models well within acceptable noise limits.

"That high RPM causes a screaming sound, and that screaming sound is what bothers everyone," said Larry Will, a consultant and former engineering vice president for Echo, a maker of outdoor power equipment that routinely opposes blower bans in communities that propose them. "The ban is blind. It doesn't recognize that there's such a thing as a quiet blower."

With autumn leaves falling, municipalities are gearing up for a fresh season of citizen complaints about leaf blower noise. While a number of cities, including Los Angeles; Aspen, Colorado; Vancouver, British Columbia; and Palo Alto, California, currently have full or partial bans on gas-powered leaf blowers, scores of others are considering such moves.

Fricke and a neighbor recently asked the Emeryville city council to ban blowers. And Fricke, who is currently running for council, plans to make such legislation a priority if elected.

Arrayed against grass-roots organizers are a fleet of quiet blowers that promise to produce four times less noise than older models.

Echo's quietest power model, the PB-460LN Quiet 1, operates at a volume of 65 decibels, which is quieter than typical freeway traffic. Modifications designed to dampen blowers' volume include adding soft materials to absorb sound and putting mufflers on air intakes.

Echo isn't the only one working on a quiet blower. Power equipment maker Husqvarna began selling a new blower this year, the 356BTx, that operates at 64 decibels. Older models were as loud as 78 decibels. (Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale, so a move from 78 to 64 is several orders of magnitude quieter.)

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power also developed and holds a patent on a battery-powered leaf blower that it claims can work as well as gasoline-powered blowers, but with substantially reduced noise and zero emissions.

The trouble with quiet blowers, however, is that they're usually more expensive than noisy ones. Quieter leaf blowers aren't putting the kibosh on new community bans, either. Palo Alto, for example, voted to ban gas-powered blowers this summer. Repeat violators are subject to a $200 fine.

In Los Angeles, errant leaf blower operators can be fined $100. In a city with plenty of serious crime, however, consultant Will doesn't believe leaf blowers are a top priority.

"If you have a choice of going after a domestic abuse case where a woman may be getting beaten or a leaf blower, who are you going to go after?" he said.

Landscaping contractors are also fighting the bans. The California Landscape Contractors Association estimates that landscapers' costs would increase an average of 21 percent if they had to perform the same functions without leaf blowers.

Fricke argues that such comparisons aren't valid because yards don't need to be perfectly spick-and-span when raked by hand.

"A leaf blower, because it's so effective at pushing every speck of dust on the ground, it creates this determinism of getting every speck so the person is consumed with this goal," he said. "Without the leaf blower, the standard of clean would not be so high."
    The Silence of the Leaf Blowers

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It does seem entirely ridiculous that people hate leaves so much that they must remove all evidence of them. If only people were so diligent with cigarette filters, discarded chewing gum, wrappers and the like. Seems like they go to a lot of trouble to clean away the nasty completely biodegradable and natural "refuse" but leave a frightening amount of non-biodegradable and unnatural waste lying around (or fail to prevent it being discarded there in the first place).

I also fail to see why leaf blowers are so expensive in the first place. A decent fan with a nozzle on it does the job so why the need for such high speed motors paired with such low quality bearings as to produce such whines? Surely with a larger fan and lower RPMs the same effect would be produced without the noise? Okay sure there's portability to think about but the present crop is most assuredly a poor solution and needs a rethink.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Here they use the leaf blowers in a thick forest, far away the pathways. Before the invention of the leaf blower the leaves were left where they belong.

It used to be a pleasure to walk around. It was quiet in the forest. You could hear the birds and the wind.

When the leaf blowers are finished with their "job" they leave the leaves in high heaps. A mighty wind comes almost every night. They are called autumn winds, and they are powerful. In the morning the leaves are again all scattered. Then the same thing starts again, with the same leaves.

Who pays the salary of these half-wits? The community. Who runs the community? The Labour party. Who runs the Labour party? The Union.

Where does the community get the money? From the tax payers. Who are the tax payers? The people whose peace has been stolen.

I do not mind that they take the money. It would be all right if the half wits were given full wages to sit in their kitchens or to sit in the pub or play billiard or bingo or whatever.

Leaves are dirt now, eh? A standard of cleanliness is high if we do not have the leaves in the forest?

Gas-powered machines pollute the air we breathe. So what.
    Pollution is not dirt. Leaves is dirt.

It is a high time we open the funny farms again.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It does seem entirely ridiculous that people hate leaves so much that they must remove all evidence of them. If only people were so diligent with cigarette filters, discarded chewing gum, wrappers and the like. Seems like they go to a lot of trouble to clean away the nasty completely biodegradable and natural "refuse" but leave a frightening amount of non-biodegradable and unnatural waste lying around (or fail to prevent it being discarded there in the first place).

I also fail to see why leaf blowers are so expensive in the first place. A decent fan with a nozzle on it does the job so why the need for such high speed motors paired with such low quality bearings as to produce such whines? Surely with a larger fan and lower RPMs the same effect would be produced without the noise? Okay sure there's portability to think about but the present crop is most assuredly a poor solution and needs a rethink.
    We must remove all evidence of dirt. We must be pure.

I do not understand these oddballs who talk about a planetary emergency. They say Florida is only the modest beginning.

Who cares about the climate crisis and global warming.

And who cares that gas-powered machines have every bit to do with it.

Rising seas and typhoons are not our worry.

These people do not understand what the true worry is.

THE LEAVES OUT OF THE FOREST!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well they found the drawback to ultra hygiene in the form of more allergies and super bugs. Perhaps they will find another backlash from this fascination with making everywhere the same. Personally I never saw the attraction in a "nice" lawn (my "garden" reflects this ). I'd much rather have a garden like the floor of a forest than something that looks like someone painted the ground green.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Well they found the drawback to ultra hygiene in the form of more allergies and super bugs. Perhaps they will find another backlash from this fascination with making everywhere the same. Personally I never saw the attraction in a "nice" lawn (my "garden" reflects this ). I'd much rather have a garden like the floor of a forest than something that looks like someone painted the ground green.
    Merry Old England! I see the English are a way tolerant after all and they do allow a bit of an opposition.

In this parte, Monsieur, each wild flower is taken out immediately. With machine, of course. Wild flowers are dangerous. They are dirt. And they obstruct the green.

And here the people walk with sticks. I do not know yet the secret of the significance of the sticks. Maybe it is some kind of magic.
    Black magic perhaps.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Merry Old England! I see the English are a way tolerant after all and they do allow a bit of an opposition.

In this parte, Monsieur, each wild flower is taken out immediately. With machine, of course. Wild flowers are dangerous. They are dirt. And they obstruct the green.

And here the people walk with sticks. I do not know yet the secret of the significance of the sticks. Maybe it is some kind of magic.
    Black magic perhaps.
    The presence of the stick is insignificant next to the absence of the dog to fetch it!