First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Alot of the Profs. that I work with though say that they see it getting worse generation over generation. That students are getting lazier and coming up with more excuses why they didn't get their work done.
    Also consider that a larger and larger percentage of people chose to go to college for each post-war generation. If the distribution of abilities and willingness to work has remained stable, it's normal that the average student is getting lazier. Although, I am not certain that this statistics is valid for the US.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Also consider that a larger and larger percentage of people chose to go to college for each post-war generation. If the distribution of abilities and willingness to work has remained stable, it's normal that the average student is getting lazier. Although, I am not certain that this statistics is valid for the US.
    I see what you are saying. Population grows, so does lazy people.

At least where I am at though, I work in a good school where classroom space is somewhat finite. So even being generous, teaching capacity grows slower than students applying thus making students more competitive.

Students should be getting better.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

So with my generation and my MBTI type I got a double dose of lazy!

Stupid generalisations.

To me there is no virtue in working your hands to the bone for it's own sake anyway.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think another big problem that younguns face is that day after day, stereotypical views of trying to achieve your dreams are displayed at us nonstop. Every day in the U.S., I guarantee there's an adult claiming that a child can grow up to be whoever s/he wants to be, which isn't really the case.

America claims to be the best meritocracy, but as soon as you open your eyes up to the world, you'll see that the fastest way to the top is by pawning off other peoples' work as your own, or being the one in a million who's so fucking brilliant that it doesn't matter because you'll just create the new business landscape.

Go to college and you have to decide your entire future path in your first two years, or you're fucked and have to take more years (and more debt if your family isn't paying for it) to decide what you want to do. It's really easy to get discouraged. Hell, we see movies and real-life cases of people having mid-life crises and freaking out and being unfulfilled; that their work was for nothing and they're not really doing anything. I think Office Space truly captures that kind of feeling.

Add all of that together, and it's not hard to infer that the American stereotype (tm) is something like this:
    1. Be born, go to an average high school and do moderately well.
    2. Go to a state college and pass by.
    3. Be offered a job after graduation.
    4. Fuck around because you're in your twenties and you're young.
    5. Begin to settle down.
    6. Get a decent job.
    7. Have children.
    8. Time flies by, you live for your children.
    9. Your children reach college/high school, and you can't take it anymore.
    10. Midlife crisis. *Insert self-finding scenario here*
    11. Compromise midlife crisis by having your passion be a hobby that you work on in spare time.
    12. Work a decent job again.
    13. Retire to an old life where you spend your days peacefully working on your hobby.

Of course that's by no means exact, but it gets the point well across. So there are a few conclusions. You can become a shell of who you are and buckle down and work for your family, you can work and loathe it the entire time and relish happy hour, or you can try to do what you are passionate about, but the odds are stacked against you. It looks pretty bleak when you're looking up while sitting in the gutter.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

That's a really well thought out post, Blank.

In today's world, if one chooses to go to college, I highly suggest...going
    for something where education is required; but as cost effectively as you can.
    Or, just for the love of the subject...without consideration of a job.

Truth is we have a big degree gut in this economy. Lots of under 30's walking around with Master's degree's who can't find work that pays more
    than a secretary of yore.

There's an infinately higher return on a two year technical degree, in auto mechanics, radiology, physical therapist assistant, etc. AC & Heating, etc. and higher demand.

Hopefully that will change if wages get to a place where manufacturing comes back to the United States.

MBTI
    YaYa

On a small tangent, Thomas Friedman had some interesting things to say about the new paradigm we'll see in the work place:

Just being an average accountant, lawyer, contractor or assembly-line worker is not the ticket it used to be. As Daniel Pink, the author of ďA Whole New Mind,Ē puts it: In a world in which more and more average work can be done by a computer, robot or talented foreigner faster, cheaper ďand just as well,Ē vanilla doesnít cut it anymore. Itís all about what chocolate sauce, whipped cream and cherry you can put on top. So our schools have a doubly hard task now ó not just improving reading, writing and arithmetic but entrepreneurship, innovation and creativity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/op...dman.html?_r=1

Edit:

I think a lot of kids fresh out of college just want to collect their paycheck(allowance) without much thought as to how they get it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I JUST had this conversation, where a friend and I were talking about professors and sometimes it'd be easier if they just handed out their materials and left, and it managed to kind of hit on the topic of the thread:

Friend: I sure am! My professor is racist, sexist, and homophobic. A great combination!

Me:Brilliant.

Friend: He is my favorite.

Me: The only way I could deal with that combination was if it was a satirical character, like Stephen Colbert.

Friend: Yeah...he definitely isn't that funny. He told me I should think of another career because I can't be that successful as a woman since I need to raise my children.
    Friend: Not even exaggerating. He flat out said that to me. In those exact words.

Me: Wow.
    Me: What do you say to that?

Friend: I'll contact him when I'm rich and successful and still have kids!
    Friend: I just laughed at him and stopped paying attention. lol

Me: You should be like, "Oh, I'm going to do the Branjelina thing and adopt."
    Me: Hahaha

Friend: There is no point in arguing with him. He is old and there is no way he is going to change his views.

And I think that^ is the reason for the communication breakdown between the young and old.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

One cannot hear, a language they can't speak.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The whole premise of this thread is untrue. People are working more now than ever. In the 50s and 60s, you could have one parent work a blue-collar job and take care of the whole family, now people can be working 2 or 3 jobs with not enough to get by.

Average work week hours keep expanding, even as compensation for those hours stagnates. Some say a 70 hour work week is in danger of becoming the new norm. Yet France was able to lower the work week to 35 hours, with no loss in productivity.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The whole premise of this thread is untrue. People are working more now than ever. In the 50s and 60s, you could have one parent work a blue-collar job and take care of the whole family, now people can be working 2 or 3 jobs with not enough to get by.

Average work week hours keep expanding, even as compensation for those hours stagnates. Some say a 70 hour work week is in danger of becoming the new norm. Yet France was able to lower the work week to 35 hours, with no loss in productivity.
    The older generations are punishing us because they perceive us as lazy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge