User Tag List

12 Last

Default The Prime Means of Social Control

The prime means of social control is personal tension.

When we feel emotional or physical pain, we tense our muscles.

Unfortunately even when the emotional or physical pain is gone, we continue to tense our muscles. And so even when the external control has gone, we continue to control ourselves by continuing to tense our muscles.

After a while this seems normal, particularly if those around us are tensing their muscles too. And after a while we forget we are tensing our muscles and experience our muscle tension as stress.

But we don't know how to relieve our stress so we may turn to alcohol or sex or over-eating or compulsive exercise. These do relieve our tension in the short term but increase our tension and stress in the long term.

However we can start to relieve our tension and stress both in the short term and the long term by practising muscle relaxation by clicking on -

YouTube - PROGRESSIVE MUSCLE RELAXATION

And as we practise muscle relaxation every second day, we find our mind starts to relax as well.

And as we start to relax, we begin to become free from social control and we become more ourselves and more ourselves with our friends.

And after practising muscle relaxation every second day, we find ourselves relaxed, refreshed and alert.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I'm going to try this repeatedly over time. I'll post back here with results.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I'm going to try this repeatedly over time. I'll post back here with results.
    We look forward to following your results.

However I might add that learning to relax in all situations is the key to being a successful introvert.

So first we learn to relax our muscles and our minds in comfortable situations. Then we learn to relax in progressively uncomfortable situations. So that we can relax in almost all situations.

Introverts have an immense amount to offer other people, but the introvert can only do this when they are relaxed.

But you can't order yourself to relax. So we must approach it indirectly by first relaxing our muscles and then finding our mind will follow suit.

Learning to relax is truly the key to happiness and success for the introvert.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We look forward to following your results.

However I might add that learning to relax in all situations is the key to being a successful introvert.

So first we learn to relax our muscles and our minds in comfortable situations. Then we learn to relax in progressively uncomfortable situations. So that we can relax in almost all situations.

Introverts have an immense amount to offer other people, but the introvert can only do this when they are relaxed.

But you can't order yourself to relax. So we must approach it indirectly by first relaxing our muscles and then finding our mind will follow suit.

Learning to relax is truly the key to happiness and success for the introvert.
    I'd say it works with all people. There are certainly some people out there that can't contain their anger, and would definitely benefit from chilling out a little (your boss, my 3 bosses, my dad lol). And then there are those who think too much, who can't shut their heads down for 3 seconds, because they fail to relax... and then they seek alcohol.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I'm trying this right now. I feel better already
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I'm trying this right now. I feel better already
    It's nice isn't it? There's nothing quite like relaxing after being tense. And the day will bring us some tension and muscle relaxation will bring us some relaxation.

And it is the little dance between tension and relaxation that brings us pleasure.

And it is this little dance that gives us balance and grace.

The pleasure of balance and grace.

Ginkgo

Interesting.

When I relax my muscles, my breathing patterns become less sticotto and more fluent. It feels good. Thanks Victor.

I find it helpful to relax in order from one body part to the next. It allows me to be more thorough.

MBTI
    YaYa

This is a technique used by behavioral psychologists.

Never really worked for me but I know people it has though.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yeah, I got interested in this back when I briefly took a jab at self-hypnosis as means to fight insomnia. It's good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Interesting.

When I relax my muscles, my breathing patterns become less sticotto and more fluent. It feels good. Thanks Victor.

I find it helpful to relax in order from one body part to the next. It allows me to be more thorough.
    Yes, I like to relax each part one by one, so I say -

my hand is relaxing
    my forearm is relaxing
    my biceps are relaxing
    and so on right throughout my entire body

and then I come to my temples and I say -

my temples are relaxing
    right back into my mind
    and my mind is relaxing.