User Tag List

First 456

Quote Originally Posted by kathara View Post
    Evolutionary speaking, humans have always destroy the handicapped, so that the tribe does not have to support a useless creature. My tribe is not the world, my tribe is composed of people surrounding me. Are you empathic to all the 7 billion people? Congratulations, either you are insane, or you are some sort of deity.
    "Micro"-evolutionary speaking- timeline for the evolution of [nuances within] the human mind: + social dynamics/tribe - the emotional brain meeting the capacity to reason birthed ethics and morality. Welcome to present day society. We've missed ya!

As for the rest of your post, V, even without reading these most recent replies of yours, I anticipated and tackled them in my above response to Lateralus and you [keep an eye out for the Old Yeller reference...]

Again, the human mind has defensive mechanisms that shield you from too much pain. This is why you can read about the death of a million in some battle and not grieve, while you might feel sorry over this girl.

And sympathy, empathy, as all human emotions appear in certain settings, in which one's mind responds to the stimulus in the other person. When that lacks ... I guess you appear like a fraud in denial. LOL!

You can understand it, and yet not be empathic to it. I don't see her example as any type of example but perhaps a medical curiosity. It does not say anything new to me as a human being. Not like other persons which did activate the empathic brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangol View Post
    I didn't originally care enough to respond to this thread, but I did care enough to argue with your reasoning,
    Especially THIS ^. And, to the rest.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

I'm sure the other posters before me have dealt well with the aspects of empathy. On an individual level, as long as your lack of empathy doesn't actually lead you to do emotional/physical harm to someone you perceive as less perfect/deformed...it's your prerogative.

I find the idea of eliminating deformity or imperfections interesting. The problem with this idea is that there is no universal standard of perfection or deformity - either across context or across time. This is a problem in deciding who's worthy of being in this valuable club and who isn't. We've seen women's bodies looked at very differently - from the Rubinesque in the artwork you referred to, to the super skinny today. At different times, either has been seen as deformed/ugly/not worthy of being called beautiful. Petite is good in some parts and tall in others. People are judged and seen as less valuable because of the color of their skin, the placement and shape of their eyes....who decides what perfect/deformed is? It's a slippery slope and we've only covered a few physical features...

How do we even begin to measure a person's potential/value in other ways? Do all healthy individuals make a contribution by society's standards or yours to make their lives valuable? Is this an expectation we have or should have attached to every human birth? Why? You used Stephen Hawking's example - could we have known in advance that he would have made the contribution he did? What if he didn't? How does one judge in advance?

An essential aspect of being human is simply surviving the odds that we are faced with on a daily basis. Overcoming adversity is a classic feature we associate with humanity. Therein lie our classic heroes. For mermaid girl or anyone else that lives with overwhelming disability, there is incredible overcoming of adversity on a daily basis. That's pretty inspiring - that's more than most able people can provide. Sometimes this leads to Stephen Hawking type contributions to society while others simply live to love and be loved by people who surround them. This is no different than the rest of us can hope for, without physical disabilities.

You make a rather good point - children in 'the developing country of your choice' have lives that are no less valuable than mermaid girl's and yet have far less access to resources. However, pointing to the resources spent by her family/insurance company to keep her alive is a weird location of the blame. Resources can't be redistributed on an individual basis, on the above kind of evaluation of physical/other types of value that we assign to people on an arbitrary basis. On a similar standard, what would spur people to think of children in country X as more valuable?

Wouldn't we be better off treating all humans as valuable and with the potential of making a contribution? That way, no arbitrary standards can be used to grant or keep resources from any one kind of people.
    Last edited by ergophobe; 10-29-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I need to stop creating threads and abandoning them :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    First.......

that altruism isn't a dichotomy to biological kinship.
    Altruism does not exist.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    I need to stop creating threads and abandoning them :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Naughty naughty!

I agree with Ergo.

I think it is sad she died. Every life is a life. I'm emotionally disconnected from it though. I don't know her enough to even infer who she was. Maybe if I'd seen the show.

btw, does this mean the unicorns are in danger?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.