User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    There is no connection between your lack of empathy and any artist's conception of perfection.
    I was not talking about "my" lack of empathy. I was pointing out that perfection is to be encouraged, whereas deformity dismissed, not embraced and cuddled.

Wonder how many bright kids died on that same day. However we "grieve" over a handicapped fattie.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

"We" grieve that she wasn't able to enjoy a normal life. She was celebrated that she had such negative odds and still pushed forward and lived past her time.

Any child that dies deserves to be grieved.

Some people are famous and some aren't. Should we never grieve a famous person because other people die that day? Should we never grieve relatives because other people who might be "worth more" on someone's worth scale died that day.

Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by kathara View Post
    I was not talking about "my" lack of empathy. I was pointing out that perfection is to be encouraged, whereas deformity dismissed, not embraced and cuddled.

Wonder how many bright kids died on that same day. However we "grieve" over a handicapped fattie.
    I'm shocked. This story affects those with an (any) emotional core because the girl was a representation of life, she had a condition that could have happened to anyone. Living in that way will affect a person mentally (obviously) and so is allowed to not be the nicest person in the world, if that is the case. It is an unconscious fear that manifests itself in prejudice and nothing to do with her personality.

And if you dont have it in you to be affected by this persons life I doubt there is anything in you that feels for "some bright kid" who remains anonymous. Unless you are emotional troubled by your example.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    "We" grieve that she wasn't able to enjoy a normal life. She was celebrated that she had such negative odds and still pushed forward and lived past her time.
    She was a child. Her beating the odds are not of her own doing, but some phenomenon a doctor would explain better.

Any child that dies deserves to be grieved.

Some people are famous and some aren't. Should we never grieve a famous person because other people die that day? Should we never grieve relatives because other people who might be "worth more" on someone's worth scale died that day.

Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Maybe by family and friends. Forgive me, but I dont give a shit for anyone's children but mine. And grieve for someone you never bonded with on any level is nothing else but a superficial fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I'm shocked. This story affects those with an (any) emotional core because the girl was a representation of life, she had a condition that could have happened to anyone. Living in that way will affect a person mentally (obviously) and so is allowed to not be the nicest person in the world, if that is the case. It is an unconscious fear that manifests itself in prejudice and nothing to do with her personality.

And if you dont have it in you to be affected by this persons life I doubt there is anything in you that feels for "some bright kid" who remains anonymous. Unless you are emotional troubled by your example.
    I have no idea how lovable she was or not. No, I don't have it in me to feel for a little freak that was supported through it all all her life. She had it rough, yes, but I feel so much more empathy for children who are dying simply because they were born in the wrong spot. I cant help but think if the money used to make her live another 5 freakish years wouldn't have been better spend feeding a child in Africa, who would have hence been given a chance for something more.

My human condition is not represented by a genetic freak, but by choices people make or by the blind eye they turn on others. You call yourself a human cause you went "aww, poor thing", yet you never donate any money to charities, or do a bloody thing for those who suffer. I suppose they should have a reality show first to be worthy.

MBTI
    INTP

Missed the point completely. Now go and cry about it!
    What point? That "perfection is to be encouraged, whereas deformity dismissed, not embraced and cuddled"?

I'm not crying over anything. I'm just upset that you're using the history of art and science to dismiss human empathy. I'm pretty sure they weren't all Utilitarian, and that the general attitude was toward a greater understanding of reality. Plato may have been hot and heavy about the idea of perfection, and many philosophers and theologians may have pursued the idea since then, but it's hardly a serious issue today. The image and idea of perfection varies from individual to individual. The theory of Natural Selection supports the idea that unfavorable traits tend to get eliminated from gene pools over time, but it doesn't say anything about how we should care for them. If anything, it reminds us that genetics aren't stable, static constructions, and that mutations often result in unfavorable traits. It reminds us that it could happen to any of us, which then invokes in most people a sense of vulnerability and empathy, particularly for those who make an effort to maintain as dignified a life possible. For this particular case, it looks like she did great for a 10-year old girl, who are often spoiled and fat even without the handicap of having no legs and no real hope for a future.

Are you also trying to point out that the story is overblown just because she's a celebrity of sorts? That humans have fascinations with out-of-the-ordinary people? Or do you just get upset at semi-celebrities who die of unfortunate genetic anomalies after an unexpectedly long lifespan? There's nothing wrong with that, except that it suggests you may be lacking in the normal neural wiring for empathy that many others seem to have, which would then make you genetically anomalous as well.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

She was a child. Her beating the odds are not of her own doing, but some phenomenon a doctor would explain better.

Maybe by family and friends. Forgive me, but I dont give a shit for anyone's children but mine. And grieve for someone you never bonded with on any level is nothing else but a superficial fraud.

I have no idea how lovable she was or not. No, I don't have it in me to feel for a little freak that was supported through it all all her life. She had it rough, yes, but I feel so much more empathy for children who are dying simply because they were born in the wrong spot. I cant help but think if the money used to make her live another 5 freakish years wouldn't have been better spend feeding a child in Africa, who would have hence been given a chance for something more.

My human condition is not represented by a genetic freak, but by choices people make or by the blind eye they turn on others. You call yourself a human cause you went "aww, poor thing", yet you never donate any money to charities, or do a bloody thing for those who suffer. I suppose they should have a reality show first to be worthy.
    To address your ad hoc, you are not in a position to comment on my relationship to charities.

Can you spot your own contradiction?

You attitude disgusts me. I wonder if someone felt this way about your children, if you would feel the same. But perhaps you're "winning" because I am finding it hard to care about your life. Well done. But I am still human, and so are you and that's whats so sad.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

This may be true for you but it isn't true for everyone.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

This may be true for you but it isn't true for everyone.
    Of course it is. The human mind isn't equipped to deal with so much pain. That's why we only care about our loved ones. You would go nuts if you suffered for the world. All this biz of "mourning" a public persona is not really grief, but rather a superficial feeling that makes you feel better about yourself. "I care, I am such a good person."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

To address your ad hoc, you are not in a position to comment on my relationship to charities.
    I was speaking about a certain type of persons. Don't blame me if you felt attacked.

Can you spot your own contradiction?
    Actually I cant. If you don't mind ...

You attitude disgusts me. I wonder if someone felt this way about your children, if you would feel the same. But perhaps you're "winning" because I am finding it hard to care about your life. Well done. But I am still human, and so are you and that's whats so sad.
    Lol, of course I dont expect anyone else to care for my kids but my family and close friends. Are you truly that naive to think the average Joe would give a monkey's fuck about anyone's family but his, for instance? That would be pathological and counterproductive.

And yes, of course you don't care about me, and of course I don't care about you. Was there ever any doubt?

Saddam was human too, and Hitler and everybody else. Be sad for that, if you must.

Oberon

Maybe by family and friends. Forgive me, but I dont give a shit for anyone's children but mine.
    You have reproduced?