123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Moderated Thread

This thread has no purpose.
    Last edited by Risen; 10-24-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen

Barack Obama sees worst poll rating drop in 50 years

The decline in Barack Obama's popularity since July has been the steepest of any president at the same stage of his first term for more than 50 years.

By Toby Harnden in Washington
    Published: 7:38PM BST 22 Oct 2009
    Barack Obama's popularity has fallen steeply since being elected last year
    Barack Obama's popularity has fallen steeply since being elected last year Photo: AFP

Gallup recorded an average daily approval rating of 53 per cent for Mr Obama for the third quarter of the year, a sharp drop from the 62 per cent he recorded from April.

His current approval rating – hovering just above the level that would make re-election an uphill struggle – is close to the bottom for newly-elected president. Mr Obama entered the White House with a soaring 78 per cent approval rating.

Related Articles

Americans cool on global warming
    US congress extends hate crime protection to homosexuals
    Barack Obama's oratory loses its oomph
    Barack Obama ratings fall as polls show honeymoon may be over
    US Election: John McCain, Barack Obama stage second presidential debate in Nashville
    Barack Obama declines debate

The bad polling news came as Mr Obama returned to the campaign trail to prevent his Democratic party losing two governorships next month in states in which he defeated Senator John McCain in last November's election.

Jeffrey Jones of Gallup explained: "The dominant political focus for Obama in the third quarter was the push for health care reform, including his nationally televised address to Congress in early September.

"Obama hoped that Congress would vote on health care legislation before its August recess, but that goal was missed, and some members of Congress faced angry constituents at town hall meetings to discuss health care reform. Meanwhile, unemployment continued to climb near 10 per cent."

Governor Jon Corzine of New Jersey is in severe danger of defeat while Democrats are fast losing hope that Creigh Deeds can beat his Republican opponent in Virginia. Twin Democratic losses would be a major blow to Mr Obama's prestige.

Campaigning for Mr Corzine in Hackensack on Wednesday night, Mr Obama delivered a plea that almost seemed as much for himself as the local candidate: "I'm here today to urge you to cast aside the cynics and the sceptics, and prove to all Americans that leaders who do what's right and who do what's hard will be rewarded and not rejected."

Mr Corzine, a former Goldman Sachs executive and multi-millionaire, is currently running even in New Jersey, which is normally comfortably Democratic, while Mr Deeds is trailing badly in Virginia, a swing state that was key to Mr Obama's 2008 victory.

Mr Obama is also facing widespread criticism for his drawn-out decision-making process over what to do next in Afghanistan.

Republicans sense Mr Obama is in a vulnerable position and this week saw the return to the public stage of his perhaps most vehement opponent – Vice-President Dick Cheney.

In a blistering speech on Wednesday night, he accused Mr Obama of failing to give Americans troops on the ground a clear mission or defined goals and of being seemingly "afraid to make a decision" about Afghanistan "The White House must stop dithering while America's armed forces are in danger," Cheney said at the Center for Security Policy in Washington.

"Make no mistake, signals of indecision out of Washington hurt our allies and embolden our adversaries."

He hit out at Obama aides who suggested that the Bush administration had failed to weigh up conditions in Afghanistan properly before committing troops.

"Now they seem to be pulling back and blaming others for their failure to implement the strategy they embraced. It's time for President Obama to do what it takes to win a war he has repeatedly and rightly called a war of necessity."
    I heard the question brought up, "I wonder what sort of poll drop JFK experienced during his first term," which brings up the fact that Obama's approval and expectation of him were extremely high from the start, so perhaps it's a natural drop... to reality. That and/or the fact that he has dems mad because he isn't able to turn this into a communist state yet (overly high expectations, the guy is trying, so give him a break), independents mad and flocking toward the other side politically because they dont percieve him to be nearly as centerist as they'd hoped, moderate democrats (normal democrats) mad because they think he's too left, and the right mad because of... just about everything.
    Leveling out at 53% isn't bad. Clinton was at 48% during this time. Bush had high marks at this time
    because of 9/11, but he left at 22%.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 10-24-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: OP removed context, which makes rest of thread hard to follow.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I think that if the American people weren't so adamant on having a leader to carry them to salvation, the smoke screen would be visible for all to see...

Could Mr Obama in fact be the best president they've ever had?...

Although he is sitting at 53% in his favor, it's only because of the nations realization of its unattainable goals ... But then again, I've been informed that I myself can't be too sure of my own knowledge, or judgment of "American politics"!...

The way I see it, Obama is the epitome of political, and societal change, and lets just hope that it's for the better!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    I think that if the American people weren't so adamant on having a leader to carry them to salvation, the smoke screen would be visible for all to see...
    yeah, I find it pretty pathetic.
    He's actually pretty stable, himself, and trying to stay the course.
    It's the public (and the vocal elements) that are rather psychotic here.

Before being elected, he got touted as the devil by hardcore conservatives and promoted as Jesus by the hardcore liberals.

Now that he hasn't singlehandedly brought peace and paradise on earth in less than a year after taking office, the hardcore conservatives are laughing and saying, "We told you he was entirely evil!" and disillusioned unrealistic liberals are griping and tossing him to the wolves.

The public "hig school musical" groupthink is pathetic... although High School Musical was probably more mature. Get off the guy's case, equip him to do his job, then get out of his way and give him time to actually do it.

^^There's my corresponding rant.

Could Mr Obama in fact be the best president they've ever had?... Although he is sitting at 53% in his favor, it's only because of the nations realization of its unattainable goals ...
    To pull a story out of the conservative religious narrative, it's yet just one more story of Moses struggling up the mountain trying to find a vision (maybe succeeding, maybe not, he didn't know at the time), while within a short period of time the whiny populace left below is melting down their jewelry to make a golden calf they can touch and see.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Before being elected, he got touted as the devil by hardcore conservatives and promoted as Jesus by the hardcore liberals.

Now that he hasn't singlehandedly brought peace and paradise on earth in less than a year after taking office, the hardcore conservatives are laughing and saying, "We told you he was entirely evil!" and disillusioned unrealistic liberals are griping and tossing him to the wolves.
    +1

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The public "hig school musical" groupthink is pathetic... although High School Musical was probably more mature.
    Well it's about to turn into Jets Vs Sharks.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Just try to remember that in the Bible, Jesus was traded for a handful of silver!!

See my assassination thread.

To pull a story out of the conservative religious narrative, it's yet just one more story of Moses struggling up the mountain trying to find a vision (maybe succeeding, maybe not, he didn't know at the time), while within a short period of time the whiny populace left below is melting down their jewelry to make a golden calf they can touch and see.
    A lot of people are going to get really pissed off soon!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Oberon

I strongly suspect that, for better or for worse, Barack Obama was not elected on his merits. Rather, he was elected because the nation saw an opportunity to put a significant entry in the history books and simultaneously expiate four hundred years of national guilt. I suspect that the country elected Mr. Obama not because of who he is, but because of what he represented. This sort of symbolic thinking could not have resulted in a satisfied populace.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well it's about to turn into Jets Vs Sharks.
    Dancefighting! Yay!

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I strongly suspect that, for better or for worse, Barack Obama was not elected on his merits. Rather, he was elected because the nation saw an opportunity to put a significant entry in the history books and simultaneously expiate four hundred years of national guilt. I suspect that the country elected Mr. Obama not because of who he is, but because of what he represented. This sort of symbolic thinking could not have resulted in a satisfied populace.
    Basically agree. He was elected because america needed a 'feel good' moment and the media went crazy with praise, not because he was especially capable or deserving.

To be fair to the average american , re-electing Bush's party would have just been stupid. I'd rather chance an unknown than intentionally damn myself. Also he seems to be fairly competent and has a mountain of dung to shovel out from the last administration still. Irony is, by the time things are fixed the population will be tired and it'll flip back to the other party, who will in turn take advantage of the more stable situation to push issues.