User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

The Wall Street Journal editorial board hypothesizes that the administration is doing this as a distraction tactic rather than a (misguided) effort to marginalize critics of Obama. I could see either theory being true...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    He is trying to marginalize them, but that only ends up giving his enemies more attention.
    Obama is giving Fox the kind of attention they don't want. Their effectiveness as propagandists is reduced when everyone knows it's propaganda. By making charges that Fox must defend (all the harder for Fox because they're true), Obama seizes the initiative in the war of ideas. The right wing has been doing this for decades. About time for some payback.

The trend has been in them picking up more viewers anyway, and this only accelerates it.
    Right-wing media tend to pick up viewers/listeners when the GOP is out of power. Bill Clinton made Fox News and Rush Limbaugh big.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That's where I'm not so sure, and there's where my concern comes in. I think Obama is charismatic and built a popular image in the campaign, which was further boosted (if not mostly boosted) by sheer hatred for the previous president and the Republic legislatures. I do not he actually built a solid, welcome place in the public mind. The thread about Obama's sharp popularity drop is a sign of this. Obama wasn't so much trusted as admired, and admiration wears-off fast, believe me.
    You might turn out to be right; I don't know. I do know that people respect a politician who fights. The Republicans understand this, and they got a lot of support from outside their base because they fought for what they believed in while the Democrats didn't. People who were burned by 8 years of Republican misrule will support a Democrat who fights even if they don't consider themselves Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The Wall Street Journal editorial board hypothesizes that the administration is doing this as a distraction tactic rather than a (misguided) effort to marginalize critics of Obama. I could see either theory being true...
    The WSJ editorial board are also right-wing propagandists.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So can you make a case for Fox being a moderate, balanced news source?
    With about the same conviction that one can make saying that MSNBC is a moderate, balanced news source.

<indulgence mode: ON>

To say that Americans trust and respect Obama is a stretch, IMO. Perhaps those on the extreme left of center, but not TOO far to the left, because Obama isn't moving left fast enough for them.

Look back to the health care townhalls. Yeah, people got heated...because Congress, being its usual self, was about to make a sea-change in our health care system without *truly* consulting the American people with what *they* wanted.

There's a way to cover those without healthcare, but forcing public options and drastic things like that isn't what Americans wanted. So thousands came out against the idea. And, also as usual, the party in power (currently Democrats) were aghast that so many people would show up and complain about Congress, being Congress, wanting to run their lives.

So, the party in power (currently Democrats) decided to call the people showing up nasty names, paint them with "nazi" brushes, insinuate that it's people "like that" who start riots, assassinate presidents and kick puppies.

So the people god even angrier, and the Tea Party movement was born.

Most times, Americans don't give a rat's ass what Congress does because, most times, it doesn't directly affect them. When it does, they complain, but they're small potatoes in the deep fryer of government.

But all of a sudden, monsterous spuds appeared, threatening to cause a fire in the vat of oil.

Oops. The cooks miscalculated.

So, the president starts a campaign to try and marginalize the network that was discussing the bills, how nobody read(s) them, and how the tea parties/healthcare forums are doing.

Left-leaning celebrities (Janeane Garfolo, anyone?) and news anchors (Anderson Cooper and the entire cast at MSNBC, anyone?) start decrying these protests. But because they can't really attack the message..."leave us alone"...they attack the messenger..."That's racism, straight up!"

Bullshit.

I voted for Alan Keyes. A lot of people I know who dislike Obama and everything he stands for, like Keyes. I would vote for Bobby Jindal, an American of Indian heritage.

Again...they believe that Obama's opponents dislike the messenger, and think we're attacking the messenger...because that's what they do.

I dislike Obama because I don't like the direction he's taking the country. Period. I couldn't care less what his color is. The only ones continually playing the race card are the left and those on the "right" who would always play the race card...the Stormfront-types who froth at the mouth of anyone not "white" enough.

Yeah, some folks don't like him because he's Black. Some think he wasn't born here. Some think he's a Muslim. I don't care.

I dislike him because he's nationalized huge sectors of our economy, which in turn has caused the deficit to skyrocket further and faster than anything Reagan could have conceived of.

Lest anyone think it's just a "right wing" thing with me...nope. I disliked George W. Bush, too, for doing many of the same big-government, over-reaching programs that stuck Uncle Sam's nose into places it never belonged.

"Isn't that what governments are for...to get in a man's way?" - Capt. Mal Reynolds, Firefly

I think Obama's attempt to marginalize Fox News is going to backfire on him. We saw an inkling of that based on the report from another poster...where the other news organizations refused to play along.

It's further my opinion that, as much a puppet that people theorized GW Bush was, Obama is as well. His hubris is as noticeable as GW's, except that he can actually pronounce 'nuclear'.

It's my opinion that those who elevated...I mean, elected...Barack Obama to the presidency did so with expectations of Great Things ("when he's elected, I won't have to worry about my mortgage anymore, or gas prices...."). However, instead of turning water into wine, or mortgages into free homes for his electorate, they're getting a nice brace of ice-water telling them that their dream-time is over.

</indulgence>

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I do not condone nor approve of this thread, and it is the bastard child of the moderators on this forum. I will not play father to this fagotry.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do not condone nor approve of this thread, and I am the father to this fagotry.
    Fixed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Mao isn't in the white house. Mao is dead. The point is in noting the pattern they have with these sort of associations, and also in wondering what their thought process is for looking up to people such as Mao (in Anita's case) and how that way of thinking shapes their beliefs on what needs to be done.

So Lat, you'd rather I just post nothing and not even discuss it? So would you just go and ignore it, and have nobody ask questions about it? Is that your way? I'd rather ask questions about it and see what it is the people in charge are thinking, because it certainly isn't along the lines of normalcy I've ever witnessed in years past. Who cares what the title is. The New York Times has titles far more sensational. They're attention getters. Nothing more. You actually have a problem with the threads, because I'm telling people what the hell is going on, and then letting people give an opinion?

God forbid I should be so screwed up as to think the only thing worth discussing in a political forum is a fucking kid trapped in a balloon (hoax).
    But you're usually not discussing anything, you're usually preaching. That gets really annoying. I start to tune you out, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What I would like is for you to work on your presentation.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I do not condone nor approve of this thread, and it is the bastard child of the moderators on this forum. I will not play father to this fagotry.
    Nevermind....it wouldn't do any good anyway.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    With about the same conviction that one can make saying that MSNBC is a moderate, balanced news source.
    I think that's a bit extreme, I think Fox has been very overt and open about its far-right slant.

However, all the major news sources have a slant, true.

Hence (and here's my point, as it has always been), wth are people taking all their news from one source? Doesn't it seem logically to examine them ALL in order to collect one's information and hopefully construct a more nuanced picture?

That way you can test the information you receive from each and hopefully screen out some of the crap. I have issues with both liberals AND conservatives who think they've got a handle on one source of information and continually blast everyone else.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

True about Fox being fairly open about their conservative/rightward slant.

Too bad the other new organizations will never do that and continue to claim to be The True Objective Source in journalism.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    True about Fox being fairly open about their conservative/rightward slant.

Too bad the other new organizations will never do that and continue to claim to be The True Objective Source in journalism.
    That sounds pretty much like the attitude I'm complaining about, frankly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft