User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's a little too much.

Just because someone is popular doesn't mean they're less worthy than the less-personable candidate.
    Just because people absconded with his public image for their own purposes doesn't automatically downgrade his credentials. I have trouble thinking of any better candidates who were elected in the last few decades, he's actually pretty damned smart, thoughtful, a good listener, imaginative, etc. rather than a one-trick pony.
    I've no doubt he's a very smart and competent person.

Nonetheless, he was also a relative unknown and the media rode his popularity hard to push him to such a high rating. He didn't deserve it at the time.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, but the concept of the close almost inseperable connection between military power and political power has a rather long history. You can trace it back to Machiavelli, who himself relied on the ancient Greeks and Romans for inspiration.
    I edited my post above. I was referring more to how communist systems are birthed from internal violent uprisings within the country's own political system, rather than military force being applies outwardly. Then in terms of Machiavelli, are you referring to an ends justify the means, and "action and its results are prime" sort of philosophy?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    being a moderate, balanced news source?
    Is anyone?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Is anyone?
    Nope.

I'm reporting what is happening, then giving my opinion that the white house should not be playing such bully politics just because they see one member of the media as being a threat, because it denigrates themselves to focus so much on their enemies/opponents, as everyone else in the media would agree with. I don't think it's something the white house should be engaging in, and it's definitely not something (to this extent) that the white house does historically.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Then in terms of Machiavelli, are you referring to an ends justify the means, and "action and its results are prime" sort of philosophy?
    I'm referring to Machiavelli conviction that military power and political power are related and practically inseperable. As he stated in Discourses:

"The chief foundations of all states, whether new, old or mixed, are good laws and good arms. And there cannot be good laws where there are not good arms. And where there are good arms, there must be good laws."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Mao isn't in the White House, nor do I believe the Obama administration plans to institute any of his policies.

I cringe whenever I see a thread started by you, Risen. It's like reading a bad right-wing political tabloid.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm referring to Machiavelli conviction that military power and political power are related and practically inseperable. As he stated in Discourses:

"The chief foundations of all states, whether new, old or mixed, are good laws and good arms. And there cannot be good laws where there are not good arms. And where there are good arms, there must be good laws."
    Of course. But military power in what application? Certainly a government must have sufficient means to keep order and law within its border, and the ability to defend itself. However, the application of that power is what differs between different systems of government. Communism and fascism has long been the sort that utilize that power against their own citizens to assert the authority of the government and cut down anything deemed to be a threat to the establishment. Democratic systems don't do that. Power and freedom of choice taken away from the people necessarily requires that the government play a stronger hand in controlling the population, through force and/or manipulation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I cringe whenever I see a thread started by you, Risen.
    He's right, Risen.

You've really begun to clog the Politics, History, and Current Events subforum with your threads.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Mao isn't in the White House, nor do I believe the Obama administration plans to institute any of his policies.

I cringe whenever I see a thread started by you, Risen. It's like reading a bad right-wing political tabloid.
    Mao isn't in the white house. Mao is dead. The point is in noting the pattern they have with these sort of associations, and also in wondering what their thought process is for looking up to people such as Mao (in Anita's case) and how that way of thinking shapes their beliefs on what needs to be done.

So Lat, you'd rather I just post nothing and not even discuss it? So would you just go and ignore it, and have nobody ask questions about it? Is that your way? I'd rather ask questions about it and see what it is the people in charge are thinking, because it certainly isn't along the lines of normalcy I've ever witnessed in years past. Who cares what the title is. The New York Times has titles far more sensational. They're attention getters. Nothing more. You actually have a problem with the threads, because I'm telling people what the hell is going on, and then letting people give an opinion?

God forbid I should be so screwed up as to think the only thing worth discussing in a political forum is a fucking kid trapped in a balloon (hoax).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    He's right, Risen.

You've really begun to clog the Politics, History, and Current Events subforum with your threads.
    Every intuitive here has nay ability to look at something and not completely project their own biases upon the subject of observation. You see what you want to see. I have no reason to bother with people like you who think words are images that must be molded into something more fitting for your view of reality.

Don;t come to me and bitch because my threads don't agree with your political view. That is all you can do. there is no intelligence behind it, there is only the instinctual reaction to things you disagree with. If I posted nothing but threads that agree with your political views, you'd love me. Fortunately, I don't give a flying crap about you or what you love. I'm going to keep posting threads that i feel are important and give accurate info beside my own opinions, and you can't do a damn thing about it. It's called free speech, but because of people like you, there is no free discourse to be had.