User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Unity within the upper echelons of the Republican Party begins to crack.

Who Is Us? | The New Republic

It sucks to be a smart fiscal conservative and have randoms lump me in with Sarah Palin.

Oberon

Considering that the upper echelons of the Republican Party are interested primarily in A) regaining power and B) keeping it once they've got it and C) selling out the electorate at every opportunity if it helps with goals A and B, they can all go soak their heads as far as I'm concerned.

Interestingly, the primary goals of the Democratic Party are precisely the same, as is my response to them.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Here's to Rational non-partisan 3rd party thought!

MBTI
    YaYa

Hasn't this been happening ever since the Dems took back congress.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Pretty much. But no one was talking about it before.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Pretty much. But no one was talking about it before.
    No, you and every other democrat have been saying it since day one, and it's true. The republican party is in disarray. Rather old news, but you are correct.

What any coming opposing party (republicans or otherwise) needs to do is ride the tide of change in society that is an unstoppable trend. The reactionaries in this time period will lose out. The winning party will be one that promises a shift to the status quo, and a brand new direction. Even if some of the old ways are things we need to keep, it at least needs to be presented as new, and then new elements brought in to seal the effect. They say if its broken, don't fix it. However, there always comes a time in history when society clamors for something better, though they never have any intelligent knowledge of what that'd be. Collective intelligence is as low as any animal.

Repubs could get their act together and come up with a revolutionary plan for healthcare that much resembles the elements that work presently, but SEEMS new, a genuinely new approach to foreign policy, campaign on new programs that resemble welfare but don't actually work in a way that creates government dependence, etc. etc. They should take the same democrat platitudes and make them their own, but with a more conservative twist on the principles.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

We miss-understand each other. No one was extrapolating these thoughts into the future before.

This disarray could end up being the death of the Republican party as we know it. If they continue to be the party of exclusion, the changing demographics of America will pass them by (in the next few years).

Personally I welcome the change b/c I'm tired of having no legitimate small government option in politics anymore.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

Personally I welcome the change b/c I'm tired of having no legitimate small government option in politics anymore.
    The parties as we know them now will fall by the wayside. There's going to be one extreme (communistic progressivism), which will prevail for a time, and then be whittled out into multiple parties both with full elements of the new era, but at least one being in opposition to the progressive ways. The country is still majority center-right, so although this is a period of time when society is shifting and changing, the new systems and politics will still require groups from a center-right perspective. In other words, it will be the progressive force of the left that carries the system into a new era, and then it will be the reactionary influence of right that brings back a balance and stabilizes itself in the new paradigm. The right is the necessary pillar of constancy, the left is the cyclical lurch towards change.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The country is still majority center-right
    You sure?

In other words, it will be the progressive force of the left that carries the system into a new era, and then it will be the reactionary influence of right that brings back a balance and stabilizes itself in the new paradigm. The right is the necessary pillar of constancy, the left is the cyclical lurch towards change.
    We need to move beyond 2 party politics if we want to remain politically relevant. Our current political system has done nothing but divide the country since the founding.

I'm not saying we need 50 bazillion parties like in Italy, but I'm tired of their being only two options when I try to find a party that I can identify and agree with.

MBTI
    INTP

They will simply reform by abandoning some of the insane neoconservative (neoliberal in the rest of the world) policies they have been famous for. Don't worry, instead of having one party ignoring public will, it will return to being two.