User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 32

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You sure?
    Google is your salvation.

  2. #12
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Google is your salvation
    Its called source verification.

    I can't really assess the quality of the information or the legitimacy of the source if all you say is google.

    Make sure you are checking your facts before you ask me to check your facts for you.

  3. #13
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Considering that the upper echelons of the Republican Party are interested primarily in A) regaining power and B) keeping it once they've got it and C) selling out the electorate at every opportunity if it helps with goals A and B, they can all go soak their heads as far as I'm concerned.

    Interestingly, the primary goals of the Democratic Party are precisely the same, as is my response to them.
    There have been periods in history when the trend of political reform has increased liberty despite the goals of political leaders. Hopefully, that situation will arise again. It may take some tipping point, crisis, or emergency, but it can and has happened before.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  4. #14
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It sucks to be a smart fiscal conservative and have randoms lump me in with Sarah Palin.
    From all accounts, the Republican candidate for that district is neither socially NOR economically conservative...or moderate.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 10-22-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: wrong word

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Its called source verification.

    I can't really assess the quality of the information or the legitimacy of the source if all you say is google.

    Make sure you are checking your facts before you ask me to check your facts for you.
    Google is your salvation.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Considering that the upper echelons of the Republican Party are interested primarily in A) regaining power and B) keeping it once they've got it and C) selling out the electorate at every opportunity if it helps with goals A and B, they can all go soak their heads as far as I'm concerned.

    Interestingly, the primary goals of the Democratic Party are precisely the same, as is my response to them.
    What!? Take that rationality out of here! Ignore the man behind the curtain! Ignore the man behind the curtain!
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

    "I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    384

    Default

    What is the topic? I'm pretty sure I will derail it, but my (very important) opinion regardless, is that Republicans (and Democrats for that matter) need to keep church and other moral (subjective) truths, and government separate. Am I wrong in my thinking? Whatever happened to liberty, freedom, yadayada. If there was something I learned during my 'great' free public social studies education it was this. No?

  8. #18
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    In my fantasies, Ron Paul will become the Speaker of the House, with Jeff Flake as Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. Why stop there? Peter Schiff as Senate Majority Leader, Rand Paul as Majority Whip, and Chuck Hagel returning and becoming President Pro Tempore.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #19
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Disco, I don't understand how your alienation relates to the TNR article. Dionne is portraying the Republican Party as far-right, when in fact the GOP is encumbered by statist and time-serving inclinations of too many moderates, especially at the state level.

    The political problem is this: all candidates being equal, the cultural Left fairly effectively portrays Republicans as bigoted cretins, giving undecided voters pause about identifying with or voting for them. Republicans in competitive districts or contentious states respond by alloying their positions and messages. But this fails to attract many undecided voters, mindful of social consequences simply for choosing the tainted brand; let alone left-liberals like EJ Dionne, who are instead playing a devilish game of Simon Says. And it repels conservatives and libertarians who watch a milquetoast party believe commentators like Dionne and start running left.

  10. #20
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    They will simply reform by abandoning some of the insane neoconservative (neoliberal in the rest of the world) policies they have been famous for. Don't worry, instead of having one party ignoring public will, it will return to being two.
    True. The neoCons took over the Republican party. The roots of the neoCon movement are linked to Russian Trotskyism. The neocons were predominant in the Democratic party before Nixon. Yet not until Bush Senior did they take over the Republican party and after Bush Jr. didn't even attempt to hide their presence. They are one worlders and in general care little of the American people except for using the resources and lives of the peope of the United States. In other words its not a war of moderates v. the conservatives. The real decisive factor will be the paleocons vs. the neocons.

    Until the neocons get kicked out or demoted the GOP will not be worth a dam.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Similar Threads

  1. The future of the Republican party
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 797
    Last Post: 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM
  2. Former Republican staffer's extremely scathing critique of the Republican party.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
  3. The Death of the Republican Party, Stardate Unknown
    By Wind Up Rex in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  4. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO