User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Why is FNC the most watched cable news network?

I'm partially afraid to start this thread because I absolutely know who's going to come in and majorly derail it (yes this sentence is about you) but I'd like to know why do people think Fox News is #1 in America?

No stereotyping about people who watch it being dumb or unable to think for themselves, just what do you think is appealing about their news format, formulas, and the news stories they choose to present that makes it so popular.

FNC has been the top rated cable news network for 86 consecutive months, finishing February as the third most watched basic cable network in primetime.

CNN was 15th and MSNBC was 23rd. In primetime (M-F), FNC averaged 2.8 million viewers (657,000 in the demo). CNN averaged 1.3 million total viewers (407,000 in the demo) and MSNBC averaged 1.1 million viewers (377,000 in the demo). Source
    To contrast, depending on who you read CNN and MSNBC are duking it out for top spot for news and information online, while FNC doesn't even ping the radar in its online presence...well maybe with Fox Sports.

Alright, for those who say that it's mostly republicans watching FNC, according to the best data I could find there are more registered Democrats in America than Republicans. Could this possibly be reflected in the fact that CNN and MSNBC dominate digital news? Is there a difference between reading the news vs. watching the news?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

You gotta find out the latest DHS alert color somehow.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

Enneagram
    1w2

What is DHS?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Fox has one bias, CNN/npr/MSNBC/blah blah have another.

Maybe Fox isn't competing for as much of the same viewership.

(This is a theory, I hate news shows)

MBTI
    ESFJ

They provide a counterbalance to the (accurate and otherwise) perception that the mainstream media in America slants center-left. Also, they have perhaps the most pleasing presentation in terms of graphics, program formatting, etc. MSNBC often looks splotchy, and CNN rather austere. Fox Business also looks good in comparison to CNBC and Bloomberg, which look like a business website threw up on television.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think there is a big difference between watching the news and reading the news. If you're being very infromation curious, there's hardly a point in watching news these days. It's so much easier to just get exactly what you want from the internet. TV networks have been fearing for a long time, and they've tried to adjust.

The best thing TV has over the internet(though this has been changing rapidly with streaming video) is the ability to give entertaining performance, and I think that's what Fox has over the other networks. Fox is more eyb-grabbing, more sensantional in its presentation. It has way more standout personalities going for it. I dare say it spends even more time on punditry and analysis than the other two 24 hour news networks. In short, Fox puts on a better show. I don't suppose its draw has much to do with its politics at all. I think it effects the politics of its viewers more than its politics effects who views it. And here's a way you can tell; While he's still got a long way to go, Keith Olbermann has been gaining popularity and becoming one of the most noticably parts of MSNBC. He's been on for many years too. His popularity has only gone up as he has become more blustery.

In short, America would be tuning into a rabidly leftist channel as long is it packed a punch.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think it affects the politics of its viewers more than its politics affects who views it.
    Good call, and I am inclined to agree with you that this is a substantial factor.

(DHS = Department of Homeland Security)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTx

Political slant that appeals to a number of people + a sensationalist style of reporting.

I know you asked for no comments on people being dumb, but... it appeals to the same demographic that watches soaps and buys trashy magazines in the supermarket. They want something entertaining, larger than life, and bending the truth a little isn't a big sacrifice.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm surprised nobody has come in and said that the statistics are bogus or some other such denial. Fox does smash the other news competition. I agree with Pure's assessment. I also find it interesting how the demographic of their viewership is pretty much EQUAL between republicans, democrats, and independents. All types are being drawn to fox for its counter-mainstream views as expressed in its opinion shows, and for the quality of its news reporting and other programming. They pull higher rating than all the other news networks COMBINED. I didn't even know they had been number 1 for so long ("86 months"), that's surprising. I don't think they've even been around for more than 10 years. I come on this forum and all i hear is "Fox is a joke, fox is crap, fox is trash, fox is the God of bias, Fox's rating suck, nobody watches Fox." It reminds me I need to be more vigilant in ignoring the info I know is incorrect, or else I risk believing some of the lies over long exposure.

The administration feels threatened by it all, hence why they are now continuously attacking Fox, a news organization. They would rather the other news organization not follow in Fox's footsteps, and stay rather... "sympathetic" to the administration and its goals.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This article was posted on Newmajority.com a bastion for moderate conservative thought.

Anger is No Path to Power