User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Fox being #1 just speaks volumes about the American populous.

you do know that only 4 in 10 Americans believe in evolution?

real news is read, not watched on a 24 mouthpiece network. The brain works different when it reads information (vs when it watches).

Fox spends very little time reporting actual facts, and a lot more time on what they suppose are the consequences and what they suppose everyone should think about something...(ie the spin)

The daily show has about the same standards of factuality and actually quite closely represents the days news. What does this tell you? A half hour comedy show is as informative as a 24 news network that takes itself quite seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post

real news is read, not watched on a 24 mouthpiece network. The brain works different when it reads information (vs when it watches).

Fox spends very little time reporting actual facts, and a lot more time on what they suppose are the consequences and what they suppose everyone should think about something...(ie the spin)

The daily show has about the same standards of factuality and actually quite closely represents the days news. What does this tell you? A half hour comedy show is as informative as a 24 news network that takes itself quite seriously.
    If you watch foxnews and then watch the daily show and the colbert report the next day, a balanced perspective can be ovulated, so to speak.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ It's just too bad one network acknowledges that it's comedic and the other doesn't.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

While it is generally bad for non thinkers to expose themselves to live information because it is so influential in pathos and ethos above logos, it is a necessary part of communicating information as well. Most people are not capable of putting together bits of information into a meaningful whole, but some forms of news media are good at giving that needed perspective. Simply reading info online makes it very difficult to piece together information and have it accurately reflect the real world, because the world of lines of text is not equivalent in how we perceive things. Those lines of text are more disjointed and seperated from our perceptions of the world around us. Reading it tends to become like reading a story that has no relationship to you or the world you live in, seeing it, on the other hand, develops that real connection in the mind.

And it's not so horrible that most don't believe in evolution when we can't even find a real link between primitive apes and homo sapiens in the ladder of evolution (because the theory states there should be an intermediary form SOMEWHERE). If we can't prove evolution for our own species, it's kinda hard to say it applies to all -_- . However, I do agree that is the leading theory based on the data we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    While it is generally bad for non thinkers to expose themselves to live information because it is so influential in pathos and ethos above logos, it is a necessary part of communicating information as well. Most people are not capable of putting together bits of information into a meaningful whole, but some forms of news media are good at giving that needed perspective. Simply reading info online makes it very difficult to piece together information and have it accurately reflect the real world, because the world of lines of text is not equivalent in how we perceive things. Those lines of text are more disjointed and seperated from our perceptions of the world around us. Reading it tends to become like reading a story that has no relationship to you or the world you live in, seeing it, on the other hand, develops that real connection in the mind.

And it's not so horrible that most don't believe in evolution when we can't even find a real link between primitive apes and homo sapiens in the ladder of evolution (because the theory states there should be an intermediary form SOMEWHERE). If we can't prove evolution for our own species, it's kinda hard to say it applies to all -_- . However, I do agree that is the leading theory based on the data we have.
    The people who can't think for themselves are the ones who are watching network and cable channels for information. If someone wants to know about a specific issue they can find that information quicker by themselves. Instead of listening to hours of the sean hannity's and keith olbermann's of the world yelling and screaming and ignoring valid questions and dismissing any point of view that differs from their own, they can simply look up proposed legislation, check out what the economists, look at the statistics, etc etc. I learned more in one hour about healthcare reform on my own than I did listening to talk radio and watching prime-time news shows for the past five months.

TV news=entertainment for the barely literate. It's really horrible trying to hear a 30-something yo man read the newspaper out loud, barely making it through one sentence without reading or mispronouncing simple words. judi....judi....judi...........judishary....um...w hat's that word?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

And it's not so horrible that most don't believe in evolution when we can't
    even find a real link between primitive apes and homo sapiens in the ladder of evolution (because the theory states there should be an intermediary form SOMEWHERE). If we can't prove evolution for our own species, it's kinda hard to say it applies to all -_- . However, I do agree that is the leading theory based on the data we have.
    Fox runs on certain assumptions that most likely aren't true when weighed for evidence:

1. That Classical economics is more accurate that Keynesian economics (Keynesian economics is not inherently political believe it or not).

2. That Christianity is the state religion and its beliefs should be legislated as such.

Now im not in the business of derailing the thread (the left stations have their own assumptions). However, these assumptions often get in the way of REPORTING INFORMATION. Instead they are more like, "[since everyone believes in #1/#2] this is how mad/scared you should be!!!"

This is going to sound like a circumstantial ad hominem, but generally people who dont believe in evolution fall into #2...

If evolution wasnt true, HIV would have been cured many times over by now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

2. That Christianity is the state religion and its beliefs should be legislated as such.
    I've been watching Fox ever since the election campaigns started. Not once have a witnessed anything resembling a religious bias in regards to their news reporting. Commentators like Hannity, that's another story. But as far as the general public goes, I'm sure the majority of evolution nonbelievers are religious. But judging a population's intelligence on their belief in a scientific theory that cant be readily observed is rather hair brained. There are MANY other criteria that can be used to condemn the population and its intelligence.

MBTI
    ISTP

There are MANY other criteria that can be used to condemn the population and its intelligence.
    Such as if they watch fox news. (kidding).

However, I'd the original topic makes sense for a number of reasons.

-CNN and MSNBC are known as Liberal networks, according to my Conservative friends, and Fox is the only Conservative leaning one, so the liberal group is split, conservatives are not.
    -Fox's commentators seem to be much more sensationalist (Watch Glenn Beck for 5 minutes) than the other networks, while not really leading to good or accurate reporting in my opinion, it does certainly make the news more entertaining, probably interesting more of the population than a "dryer" reporting style on CNN and MSNBC.
    -Like it or not, in the USA, the Republicans skew much more toward the "Grumpy old white men" category, than the Democrats. Democrats are much more often younger (especially with Obama here..), and/or poorer. As such, you could safely assume that they both may have less time for news, and are more likely to get their news from the internet, rather than the TV.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ It's just too bad one network acknowledges that it's comedic and the other doesn't.
    So much is beyond satire because it's already there. The levels of absurdity cannot be taken any further.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

That's easy. While almost every news network on television is liberally biased, Fox is conservatively biased. Therefore, the conservatives of the country watch Fox. And since there are so many liberal news networks, their viewership is divided.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari