Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Heh. It's funny that the people I know who watch it wouldn't ever watch soaps. You should use the word redneck, too.
    "Cultural wasteland" also comes to mind.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Comedy Central actually has a far more entertaining presentation than Fox News. I prefer the sarcasm and satire to garbage.
    I'd rather watch freaking NBC to get actual news information (not entertainment) than watch a COMEDY NOT-news network. The former has actual reporters in the organization and some accountability for the news they spread. The latter has comedians... Nothing wrong with watching that stuff for entertainment, but I know some actually watch it to figure out what's going on in the world. That is troubling.

And for the record, I greatly dislike Hannity. Know why I dislike Hannity? Because the guy sucks with facts, and making logical arguments. He's like those types of conservatives that go around bible thumping and using their religious beliefs to color over the truth and deform it. He has the right ideas most times, but his presentation and reasoning is too muddy.

Now Glenn Beck. That guy delivers solid well thought out, thoroughly researched information with impeccable reasoning and logical arguments. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm partially afraid to start this thread because I absolutely know who's going to come in and majorly derail it (yes this sentence is about you) but I'd like to know why do people think Fox News is #1 in America?
    Fox News is not #1 TV news. It is #1 cable news. The main 4 networks still get the highest news ratings.

However say you are a person who doesn't like the news on the main networks for some reason. Then would it be reasonable to assume the news most unlike the main 4 networks would get the next highest ratings? I believe this is a reasonable assumption. That is why I think Fox News gets the highest cable ratings.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I'd rather watch freaking NBC to get actual news information (not entertainment) than watch a COMEDY NOT-news network. The former has actual reporters in the organization and some accountability for the news they spread. The latter has comedians... Nothing wrong with watching that stuff for entertainment, but I know some actually watch it to figure out what's going on in the world. That is troubling.

And for the record, I greatly dislike Hannity. Know why I dislike Hannity? Because the guy sucks with facts, and making logical arguments. He's like those types of conservatives that go around bible thumping and using their religious beliefs to color over the truth and deform it. He has the right ideas most times, but his presentation and reasoning is too muddy.

Now Glenn Beck. That guy delivers solid well thought out, thoroughly researched information with impeccable reasoning and logical arguments. He's the gift that keeps on giving.
    If you want REAL news try Reading the New Republic, The Economist, Bloomberg, Politico, Drudge report.

Partisan news is for sheep

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Fox News is not #1 TV news. It is #1 cable news. The main 4 networks still get the highest news ratings.

However say you are a person who doesn't like the news on the main networks for some reason. Then would it be reasonable to assume the news most unlike the main 4 networks would get the next highest ratings? I believe this is a reasonable assumption. That is why I think Fox News gets the highest cable ratings.
    That's a typo. In my thread title, I mentioned it's #1 cable news, which it is.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If you want REAL news try Reading the New Republic, The Economist, Bloomberg, Politico, Drudge report.

Partisan news is for sheep
    If New republic is that pile of regurgitated crap you first linked, I think I'll pass. The others are fine.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

He used to be better than he is today. As he's grown in popularity, he's become more illogical, using more appeals to emotion. He's a sell out.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Hahaha, News organizations are filled to the brim with genuine reporting filth, trying as hard as they can to appeal to the lowest common denominator faster and lower than the internet(which IS the lowest common denominator). In fact, it's worse in a sense, because they parade around in a suit and tie trying to be serious, and then jumps into a playpen ball pit in order to make the rankings. The Daily Show and Colbert Report don't try and force the serious facade on and thus are more genuine for doing such.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    He used to be better than he is today. As he's grown in popularity, he's become more illogical, using more appeals to emotion. He's a sell out.
    Yea, it sucks that he does that. But I can understand WHY he does it. He is a feeler, obviously, and the dude is extremely wrapped up in what he is doing because he believes in it. Aside from that, I believe he has also adopted it as a method to spread the message, which I wont argue isn't necessary for many types of people who aren't thinkers. People are always swayed and controlled when they lack the ability to think deeply. That's just the way it is, whether that influence is exercised by media or government. I would stop watching Glenn if his methods for gathering info had changed, but on the contrary, they have only gotten better as he has been able to fully utilize the resources available to him since joining Fox. The integrity of the information itself has increased a great deal. I know that I will forever be among the few who is able to focus solely on information, and not get distracted by other factors such as the personality of the messenger, the method of delivering the message, and other peripheral issues. If his methods of relaying the information turned into degrading the info itself, I wouldn't watch.

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Hahaha, News organizations are filled to the brim with genuine reporting filth, trying as hard as they can to appeal to the lowest common denominator faster and lower than the internet(which IS the lowest common denominator). In fact, it's worse in a sense, because they parade around in a suit and tie trying to be serious, and then jumps into a playpen ball pit in order to make the rankings. The Daily Show and Colbert Report don't try and force the serious facade on and thus are more genuine for doing such.
    Again, I don't care about that stuff. The integrity of the info is what matters. I don't believe COMEDY central offers anything of significance, whether or not the info they give is accurate.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If New republic is that pile of regurgitated crap you first linked, I think I'll pass. The others are fine.
    None of those were that first link.