User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Do-Gooders

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Do-Gooders

Why do people seem to hate them?

People like animal lovers, environmentalists, and social workers seem to be despised in some communities. Why is that?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

In some cases, it seems to mainly come from annoyance at someone else getting involved in other people's business.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

But how could you hate such a pretty face?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I think it's largely because people who do good things show up the people who do nothing but lead selfish lives; they bring attention to other people's lack of action/compassion/whatever. And they don't like that, so they try to devalue or demonize the good deeds and those who do them.

However sometimes it's also because people are 'doing good' out of selfish motives, wanting the kudos for it and wanting to be seen to be a good person, using other people's misfortunes as a springboard for their own image, and they can come across as incredibly patronising to the people in need, whose needs and situations they don't comprehend. And sometimes they force a kind of help onto people that isn't actually helpful.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    yupp

They annoy me. Not all just some. The ones who rub it in everyone's face, if you're a do gooder then yay! but don't tell me about it go and do good.

MBTI
    INXP

If they come across as strident, people may feel that they're trying to indoctrinate others with their beliefs.

They'd get better results by simply stating their goals and asking for participation. Then others could determine whether they share the same values and act accordingly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

People like animal lovers, environmentalists, and social workers seem to be despised in some communities. Why is that?
    Well, it all depends on their crusade. Not all pet causes are created equal. For instance, many people feel that animal lovers put animals ahead of people, and that is seen as silly or irresponsible by some. The same is true of environmentalists. Many people see them as neo-hippies that are hindering economic development and for no good reason.

Take a political stand, and someone is going to despise you no matter how noble you think you are.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Because they are often extremists who won't accept the validity of any position but their own, from any perspective. I don't think they're disliked simply for having the position, but for the way they impose on other people with their position, implying that any other position is somehow "unethical" or "inferior."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Everyone has a different idea of what it means to do good. As for the three types you mentioned I think some people think that they're wasting money for something relatively unimportant. It's all a matter of perspective.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

In my case, I can't stand do gooders who do good for good sake, regardless of the realities of their actions. I find them to be the same do-gooders who do good for a while, then change to something new to do good in. In short, addicted to doing good without any real care that they are doing good.

Examples like - shouldn't spank a child, but if you ask why, you get only "because it's wrong", not an actual reason.

Those kinds tend to attempt to enforce their view of morality onto others without reason - people instinctively react to that unless they share the same morality (and sometimes even then).