User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Do-Gooders

MBTI
    ENTJ

[rant]
    Human nature...

First, I'm not a do-gooder. But I notice people complaining about how nobody cares for them, the world is rotten, everyone is so selfish and someone needs to help people in need. We then have this marvelous category of people called "do gooders" who dedicate themselves to trying to solve these problems and satisfying others.

But it's still not enough! The "do-gooder" must help without making the other person feel inferior and without reminding other people of what they're not doing. This is of course an incredibly difficult task because by their mere actions they remind people exactly of that.

I always admired these people and think they're better people than I am for dedicating themselves to causes like that while I'm basically selfish as most humans are. But the difference between myself and others is that I have the guts to admit it to myself.
    [/rant]

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    The golden rule in my life at this point is : Regardless if a minority is right or wrong, the majority is ALWAYS wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    And I can identify with the frustration and even moral outrage at the complacency that entitlement affords majority. Is that what you refer to?
    I don't know if this is frustration or moral outrage so much as demagoguery. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose.

Oberon

The golden rule in my life at this point is : Regardless if a minority is right or wrong, the majority is ALWAYS wrong.
    I think most people agree with you.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

Oh, I almost didn't get that. What a paradox.

I started to compose a rant until I realized that you were probably making a joke. Subtlety is elusive here

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I don't know if this is frustration or moral outrage so much as demagoguery. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose.
    I tried but I just don't see how disagreeing with a majority is demagoguery. Especially since demagogues appeal to the masses, rather than minorities.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

hehe. touché

I tried but I just don't see how disagreeing with a majority is demagoguery. Especially since demagogues appeal to the masses, rather than minorities.
    Well, demagoguery is based on specious logic, is usually is used to incite, and often includes the words "always" or "never". Besides, your statement does appeal to the masses, because as Oberon pointed out in a slyly comical fashion, everybody really does think they're the little guy raging against the machine.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Well, demagoguery is based on specious logic, is usually is used to incite, and often includes the words "always" or "never". Besides, your statement does appeal to the masses, because as Oberon pointed out in a slyly comical fashion, everybody really does think they're the little guy raging against the machine.
    I see. Well, Oberon does have a point.

You on the other hand say I use flawed logic, but yet, don't bother to point out anything specific.
    If anyone who uses specious logic and who uses the words "always" & "never" a lot, is a demagogue, than half of my block is one.
    And with that I mean no offense. It's just a bit cheap to speak of demagoguery when I just express an opinion.
    Last edited by vince; 11-26-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Oberon

I see. Well, Oberon does have a point.
    Blind pigs, acorns, etc., etc.