User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Do-Gooders

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    880

    Default

    [rant]
    Human nature...

    First, I'm not a do-gooder. But I notice people complaining about how nobody cares for them, the world is rotten, everyone is so selfish and someone needs to help people in need. We then have this marvelous category of people called "do gooders" who dedicate themselves to trying to solve these problems and satisfying others.

    But it's still not enough! The "do-gooder" must help without making the other person feel inferior and without reminding other people of what they're not doing. This is of course an incredibly difficult task because by their mere actions they remind people exactly of that.

    I always admired these people and think they're better people than I am for dedicating themselves to causes like that while I'm basically selfish as most humans are. But the difference between myself and others is that I have the guts to admit it to myself.
    [/rant]

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    The golden rule in my life at this point is : Regardless if a minority is right or wrong, the majority is ALWAYS wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    And I can identify with the frustration and even moral outrage at the complacency that entitlement affords majority. Is that what you refer to?
    I don't know if this is frustration or moral outrage so much as demagoguery. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose.

  3. #33
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    The golden rule in my life at this point is : Regardless if a minority is right or wrong, the majority is ALWAYS wrong.
    I think most people agree with you.

  4. #34
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think most people agree with you.


    Oh, I almost didn't get that. What a paradox.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think most people agree with you.
    I started to compose a rant until I realized that you were probably making a joke. Subtlety is elusive here

  6. #36
    Senior Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I don't know if this is frustration or moral outrage so much as demagoguery. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose.
    I tried but I just don't see how disagreeing with a majority is demagoguery. Especially since demagogues appeal to the masses, rather than minorities.

  7. #37
    Senior Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think most people agree with you.
    hehe. touché

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I tried but I just don't see how disagreeing with a majority is demagoguery. Especially since demagogues appeal to the masses, rather than minorities.
    Well, demagoguery is based on specious logic, is usually is used to incite, and often includes the words "always" or "never". Besides, your statement does appeal to the masses, because as Oberon pointed out in a slyly comical fashion, everybody really does think they're the little guy raging against the machine.

  9. #39
    Senior Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Well, demagoguery is based on specious logic, is usually is used to incite, and often includes the words "always" or "never". Besides, your statement does appeal to the masses, because as Oberon pointed out in a slyly comical fashion, everybody really does think they're the little guy raging against the machine.
    I see. Well, Oberon does have a point.

    You on the other hand say I use flawed logic, but yet, don't bother to point out anything specific.
    If anyone who uses specious logic and who uses the words "always" & "never" a lot, is a demagogue, than half of my block is one.
    And with that I mean no offense. It's just a bit cheap to speak of demagoguery when I just express an opinion.
    Last edited by vince; 11-26-2007 at 03:51 PM.

  10. #40
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I see. Well, Oberon does have a point.
    Blind pigs, acorns, etc., etc.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you normally identify posts' authors?
    By Brendan in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-22-2015, 05:18 PM
  2. [NF] Do you care how others feel?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 11:22 PM
  3. Finally gonna do it.
    By PuddleRiver in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO