User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Do-Gooders

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Why do people seem to hate them?

People like animal lovers, environmentalists, and social workers seem to be despised in some communities. Why is that?
    Who commits?

Does an animal lover commit? When? How? Where? I do not see any committing. I see only commitment.
    Commitment is not to do.

Does the environmentalist commit?
    He uncommits.

Social work is not commitment. It is committing. Committing what?
    Errors.

Who is the do-gooder? The one who does.
    Who does? The social worker. Why? To make money out of ill deed and to feel important.

And those others? Are they do-gooders? How could they be? They do not do.

Who kills the chicken? The animal lover?
    Who destroys the environment? The wind blower or the environmentalist?
    The wind blower. He is the do-gooder. He cleans by leaving filth in the gutter.
    He is a double do-gooder.

What is the essence of a word? The thing in itself.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    In my case, I can't stand do gooders who do good for good sake, regardless of the realities of their actions. I find them to be the same do-gooders who do good for a while, then change to something new to do good in. In short, addicted to doing good without any real care that they are doing good.

Examples like - shouldn't spank a child, but if you ask why, you get only "because it's wrong", not an actual reason.

Those kinds tend to attempt to enforce their view of morality onto others without reason - people instinctively react to that unless they share the same morality (and sometimes even then).
    Do-gooding is doing.
    Commitment is not-doing.

Should I spank a child?
    The answer is in the question.

MBTI
    INTJ

Jante Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The ten rules are:

1. Don't think that you are special.
    2. Don't think that you are of the same standing as us.
    3. Don't think that you are smarter than us.
    4. Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
    5. Don't think that you know more than us.
    6. Don't think that you are more important than us.
    7. Don't think that you are good at anything.
    8. Don't laugh at us.
    9. Don't think that anyone cares about you.
    10. Don't think that you can teach us anything.
    This I suspect rings true in all nations on God's green Earth. We feel that Do-gooders do all those things. That there is a latent declaration of superiority intrinsic to their actions, that they really mean to say "Why don't you do this? Are you a bad person?". Most of the bad reactions toward them, I think, can be reduced to insecurities. Our insecurities about what others think and expect of us, and our insecurities about how much and what we should say and do to feel good about ourselves, fulfill our morals, win or develop ourselves the most. But of course some of it is just annoyance at them for actually doing these things, and some of it is probably just random thoughts and emotions popping up without an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    ... Examples like - shouldn't spank a child, but if you ask why, you get only "because it's wrong", not an actual reason....
    Isn't this more a personality type issue? They could say "because it violates the freedom and well-being of the child" but not being able to specify why its' freedom and well-being should not be violated. I choose to believe this is rather T, while just saying "it's wrong" is rather F.
    Likes Reborn Relic liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Who commits?

Does an animal lover commit? When? How? Where? I do not see any committing. I see only commitment.
    Commitment is not to do.

Does the environmentalist commit?
    He uncommits.

Social work is not commitment. It is committing. Committing what?
    Errors.

Who is the do-gooder? The one who does.
    Who does? The social worker. Why? To make money out of ill deed and to feel important.

And those others? Are they do-gooders? How could they be? They do not do.

Who kills the chicken? The animal lover?
    Who destroys the environment? The wind blower or the environmentalist?
    The wind blower. He is the do-gooder. He cleans by leaving filth in the gutter.
    He is a double do-gooder.

What is the essence of a word? The thing in itself.
    I'm still recovering from finding out that I followed that word for word! Your losing your touch Wildcat. I'm starting to unravel your cipher!!! (About f'ing time too!!!)

Anyhow I think you've got something there. Often it's suspicious that someone highlights a cause and all of a sudden many instances of that particular circumstance appear. Yes it could be just because we're now looking for it but my intuition nags at me that there's more to it than that.

Anyhow, do gooders are not really good people. No humility. Do gooders should be those who organise the faceless masses to right the wrongs and when asked who was responsible just point the camera at the masses. Unfortunately such people don't hold the sheep's interest for long and they are soon forgotten.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    yupp

Xander that reminds me of why I often look at organizations with disgust. And then when someone tries to tell me how great something is and why I should go along with it. I'll often point out flaws then I'm this terrible cold hearted person who wants the world to be corrupted. So I've learned to nod and smile and let them believe that they are making a difference for the better of man kind. Because if you don't eat meat obviously the people aren't going to be like "Sylvia Lockhart is vegetarian," we can't kill this cow. Not everyone is going to be vegetarian so being vegetarian to stop the killing of animals is pointless. Now if you actually feel guilty about eating dead flesh and realize you can't change the practices of others then fine. I feel guilty but not enough to not eat meat.

Oberon

To my mind, "do-gooding" is the basis of the worst kind of tyranny. The despot, the scoundrel, and the thief can be sated...but the impulse to rule over others for their own benefit never ends.

"The end? Doin' right ain't got no end!" - The Outlaw Josey Wales

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Do-gooders tend to make everyone feel inadequate?

Sometimes they can be self-righteous, but not always. I have nothing against them. Anyone who is being constructive gets my support. On one level i don't even care if they look down on me if i don't do it as well. As long as someone is doing it then kudos.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I'm still recovering from finding out that I followed that word for word! Your losing your touch Wildcat. I'm starting to unravel your cipher!!! (About f'ing time too!!!)

Anyhow I think you've got something there. Often it's suspicious that someone highlights a cause and all of a sudden many instances of that particular circumstance appear. Yes it could be just because we're now looking for it but my intuition nags at me that there's more to it than that.

Anyhow, do gooders are not really good people. No humility. Do gooders should be those who organise the faceless masses to right the wrongs and when asked who was responsible just point the camera at the masses. Unfortunately such people don't hold the sheep's interest for long and they are soon forgotten.
    Thank you for understanding my cipher.

The do gooders write to the local newspaper. You can always recognize them from the lack of substance. Instead there is the message hiding behind a facade of flourish. A lot of nasty words in a neat pompous order.

The message says that they have the power.

Unfortunately it is true.

Even in America.
    Whatever happened to the Old Time Republicans?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Do-gooders tend to make everyone feel inadequate?

Sometimes they can be self-righteous, but not always. I have nothing against them. Anyone who is being constructive gets my support. On one level i don't even care if they look down on me if i don't do it as well. As long as someone is doing it then kudos.
    Constructive?

As long as something is doing it then kudos?

A partying ladybird..

Crack!

MBTI
    INFJ

It's just confusing to the "do-gooders" why they feel a need to preserve what we have while others would rather just contribute to the problem without thinking. They are too wrapped up in their own lives to stop and think about how their great, great, great grandchildren are going to survive on this planet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social