User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default A Step in the Right Direction for Enforcement of Marijuana Laws

Hey now! The Obama Administration A) ratchets DOWN the War on Drugs; and B) shows a little love for federalism and states' rights. Nicely done.

New medical marijuana policy issued - Yahoo! News
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Good to hear
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Medical Marijuana? Does that mean Marijuana isn't especially dangerous after all (relative to alcohol and cigarettes)?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Medical Marijuana? Does that mean Marijuana isn't especially dangerous after all (relative to alcohol and cigarettes)?
    What part of the country do you live in? Just out of curiosity. On the west coast the medical marijuana thing is a big deal.

I'm no doctor, so I won't deign to speak on the medical benefits of alcohol vs cigs vs marijuana, though marijuana seems to me to have the most utility as a pain reliever (which is one of the main reasons it's prescribed in "medicinal" forms).

[And of course the dangers associated with marijuana are frequently not matters of health, but that's a different discussion]

Anyway I think it's good that they're making an effort to get rid of some of the dissonance between state and federal procedures on this.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Change comes slow or not at all.

That being said, I'm stoked.

The ball my be rolling slowly, but its rolling downhill.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    What part of the country do you live in? Just out of curiosity. On the west coast the medical marijuana thing is a big deal.
    I live in North Texas. Dallas, to be exact.
    I'm no doctor, so I won't deign to speak on the medical benefits of alcohol vs cigs vs marijuana, though marijuana seems to me to have the most utility as a pain reliever (which is one of the main reasons it's prescribed in "medicinal" forms).

[And of course the dangers associated with marijuana are frequently not matters of health, but that's a different discussion]
    Well, I just always assumed marijuana was classified as a drug because it was more dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol, which they do let people buy.
    Anyway I think it's good that they're making an effort to get rid of some of the dissonance between state and federal procedures on this.
    I suppose so. It's always better for the law to work smoothly.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, Athenian.

St.Paul was right. Ignorance is bliss.
    The Newstands in Texas sell only reactionary newspapers.
    Washington Post and New York Times are banned in Dallas.

The reactionary papers never tell the truth.
    Do not read them.
    Unless you want to be in bliss.
    And if you do, I do not blame you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Well, I just always assumed marijuana was classified as a drug because it was more dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol, which they do let people buy.
    Having done at least 15 different drugs, I'd probably say alcohol is one of the most intense and dangerous of them. Marijuana is the least dangerous in my opinion.

The only danger from marijuana is that it makes you complacent not doing anything -- it makes your life boring if you overdo it. And since it doesn't really have intense short term negative effects, it doesn't naturally negatively reinforce itself, which makes it incredibly easy to rationalize. I've quit smoking it altogether because when I do, I end up smoking all day every day. Whereas with alcohol, the short term negative effects are extreme; I have very little trouble moderating my use.

Bottom line, though, for alcohol to be legal and pot not to be is entirely a matter of politics. Nothing to do with danger. Again, alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs I've done. (And I've done marijuana, coke, oxycontin, vicodin, methadone, codeine, mushrooms, lsd, a bunch of 2c drugs, DMT, salvia, xanax, valium, klonopin, meth once, ecstasy, smoked heroin once, ketamine, and a bunch of other ones)

The fact that alcohol is legal is actually a pretty strange message to send to the public. I've seen so many horrible things happen to drunk people. And people throwing up from drinking too much is seen as basically NOTHING. But imagine the physiology behind that! Ugh, the hypocrisies are ridiculous.

I have nothing against drugs, although I wouldn't recommend them to most. But weed? Essentially harmless in the context of the others.

Also, from a purely T perspective, there's no point in keeping it illegal -- as the number one cash crop in California, to NOT tax it is stupid as hell. Might as well get the dealers to pay what they owe to society. Plus, legalizing it would kill the black market for it, reducing all sorts of crime.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I've done pretty much all of those drugs, too. I would put alcohol as one of the "most intense," but it takes many lives. Alcohol is unusual in that it is a drug that can be consumed in small amounts with practically no effects on the body, but the range from normal dose to potentially lethal is quite small compared to other drugs. And it can range from small health benefits (1-2 glasses of wine per day) to absolute ruination.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    YaYa

I am surprised anyone still thinks of Pot as dangerous. One time I got really high on Thanksgiving and almost ate a whole turkey. I though I might die from over eating.

But yeah, in Russia, the average life span of male is at least 10 years less than that of their European counterpart due to mass Vodka consumption.