MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Population, United States - 304,059,724 - Jul 2008

I live in Seattle. I am not saying there aren't a lot of people who use it, but that is still only a fraction of the population.
    That 750k was just the annual figure of people who got caught.

Over 90 million Americans have admitted to trying marijuana, which is about, what, 1 in 3.5? That doesn't sound too "fringe" to me.

Marijuana Law Reform - NORML has plenty of relevant stats on this if you're interested.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    istp

If it is so widespread, that would mean there are still the ~2.4 who refuse to touch the stuff despite that, each with their own ballot. I would like to see how many Americans would vote in favor of legalization whether they have never tried it, tried it "that one time", regular users, whatever. This seems like it would be the best indicator of how the reform is growing.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

If it is so widespread, that would mean there are still the ~2.4 who refuse to touch the stuff despite that. Anyways, a more relevant stat I would like to see how many Americans would vote in favor of legalization whether they have never tried it, tried it "that one time", regular users, whatever. This seems like it would be the best indicator of how the reform is growing.
    Check that link I provided--the number of Americans in support of legalization is up to 44% now!

Also the study on how many people have tried it doesn't account for people who tried it but lied on the poll.

MBTI
    ESFJ

There are also people who do smoke pot but wouldn't want it legalized. They break down into three groups: 1) people who think "I can do it, but lots of people don't have my willpower; 2) people who do it secretly, but have to maintain appearances; and 3) pot dealers, who would go out of business if it were legalized.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There are also people who do smoke pot but wouldn't want it legalized. They break down into three groups: 1) people who think "I can do it, but lots of people don't have my willpower; 2) people who do it secretly, but have to maintain appearances; and 3) pot dealers, who would go out of business if it were legalized.
    I have also heard of people not wanting it legal out of the fact that the quality will decrease if it's legalized.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    I have also heard of people not wanting it legal out of the fact that the quality will decrease if it's legalized.
    Regulating the sale of, and standardizing levels of quality for MJ will only increase quality. Not to mention that once it is legalized people can officially spend money researching how to make it stronger.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If it is so widespread, that would mean there are still the ~2.4 who refuse to touch the stuff despite that, each with their own ballot. I would like to see how many Americans would vote in favor of legalization whether they have never tried it, tried it "that one time", regular users, whatever. This seems like it would be the best indicator of how the reform is growing.
    Plenty of people also choose not to drink alcohol. It's still legal, and in my observation alcohol is more dangerous, or at least can make it's danger known much more quickly in the form of binge drinking, etc.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post

That may be the dumbest argument I've ever heard. When alcohol was illegal in the '20s and early-'30s, people died or went blind from bathtub hooch. If they had tobacco company scientists and botanists working 52 weeks a year, weed would extremely cheap, potent, and readily available.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That may be the dumbest argument I've ever heard. When alcohol was illegal in the '20s and early-'30s, people died or went blind from bathtub hooch. If they had tobacco company scientists and botanists working 52 weeks a year, weed would extremely cheap, potent, and readily available.
    While I agree with you completely on this particular topic, I must say it seems inconsistent for you to say things like "that may be the dumbest argument I've ever heard" while still going around criticizing other people's failure to show common courtesy in debate threads. ("You're all class", etc. etc.) You tend to get a little terse when people criticize Libertarians, for instance.

I'm sure it sounds ridiculous for someone like me to be critiquing your Fe, but really, if you're going to insist upon politeness in posting discourse, at least uphold the same standard you purport to believe in.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    While I agree with you completely on this particular topic, I must say it seems inconsistent for you to say things like "that may be the dumbest argument I've ever heard" while still going around criticizing other people's failure to show common courtesy in debate threads. ("You're all class", etc. etc.) You tend to get a little terse when people criticize Libertarians, for instance.

I'm sure it sounds ridiculous for someone like me to be critiquing your Fe, but really, if you're going to insist upon politeness in posting discourse, at least uphold the same standard you purport to believe in.

That was addressed to the unnamed people who made that argument, not to that poster. "I have also heard of people not wanting it legal. . ." I don't see how it would be poor Netiquette, unless iamathousandapples was obviously one of those people making the argument. The only time I get terse (and approaching nasty, on occasion) is when someone like ajblaise is being willfully annoying or misrepresenting people's beliefs/arguments. I make it a point not to call all left-wingers "idiots," even though I believe that basic understanding of economics would make many of them reevaluate their views.

P.S. Please do not capitalize libertarian unless you are referring to a member of the Libertarian Party. I know it seems picayune, but there is a difference, just as Republican and republican are two different things.