User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    The government does have a reason to allow marijuana to remain illegal... consider the widespread impact on productivity if it were used by the mainstream. It is not dangerous, but the impairment of memory and reasoning skills can remain for days after heavy usage. Certainly not a fair reason but it could possibly explain why the government hasn't budged much despite the landslide of favorable evidence.

That is complete nonsense. Even someone who spent all day smoking pot could go to work and be completely functional the next day. People who smoked every day and multiple times a day probably don't have very involved jobs to begin with. The issues at play here are money and power for the government, mixed with puritanical hysteria.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Its not nonsense, its just the best argument they have.

This argument dissolves in the face of the assertion than any legislation, that forcibly turns a large portion or the population into criminals despite the fact that in the majority of cases, there is no violent crime, must be overturned.

That is unless the US gov't just wants to declare real military war on its people.

MBTI
    INTJ

The government does have a reason to allow marijuana to remain illegal... consider the widespread impact on productivity if it were used by the mainstream. It is not dangerous, but the impairment of memory and reasoning skills can remain for days after heavy usage. Certainly not a fair reason but it could possibly explain why the government hasn't budged much despite the landslide of favorable evidence.
    Why don't we just force people into labor camps with Federal overseers to make sure the maximum productivity of each citizen?

And don't get me started on the negative productivity effects of alcohol, which should be banned too.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Kind of like how everyone has been slurring his words and vomiting at work nonstop since alcohol prohibition ended, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is complete nonsense. Even someone who spent all day smoking pot could go to work and be completely functional the next day. People who smoked every day and multiple times a day probably don't have very involved jobs to begin with. The issues at play here are money and power for the government, mixed with puritanical hysteria.
    Ch-ch-ch-BLAM! You tell 'em, Merc.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Why don't we just force people into labor camps with Federal overseers to make sure the maximum productivity of each citizen
    Keywords: certainly, not, fair, reason

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Kind of like how everyone has been slurring his words and vomiting at work nonstop since alcohol prohibition ended, right?
    this wouldn't happen unless you were to drink so much alcohol so late in the evening that you still felt intoxicated the next morning. otherwise, the worst would be hangover.

there is a fundamental difference between marijuana and alcohol that tends to cause what I previously stated, which is that you can't overdose on MJ. you can smoke it until you pass out from the effects but your body will not reject it like drinking too much alcohol, and you will not feel so sick that you couldn't smoke more of it as soon as the effects wear off. over time, this allows someone to build up tolerance and increased usage until it is comparable to alcoholism, but because the behavioral side affects are usually sedative rather than aggressive in nature nobody has reason to complain. this can lead a moderate to heavy user to live day to day in a sub-high state... you can be entirely functional but doubtfully entirely as productive.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Keywords: certainly, not, fair, reason
    He didn't mean that literally. It's a sarcastic remark meant to imply that your proposed solution involves way too much removal of civil liberties.

this wouldn't happen unless you were to drink so much alcohol so late in the evening that you still felt intoxicated the next morning. otherwise, the worst would be hangover.
    Yes, and the same is true of marijuana. If you got home from work at, say, 5:30, and smoked marijuana nonstop until you went to sleep at, say, 12, you still would have no problem going to work the next morning at 9 completely sober and ready to work.

Also, why would legalization increase usage rates significantly? Prohibition obviously doesn't curb demand (as evidenced by the brutal failure of the drug war), so why would legalization magically create a spike in demand? This doesn't make sense in simple economic terms. Virtually everyone who wants pot can already get it pretty easily illegally; it really is that available.

MBTI
    istp

He didn't mean that literally. It's a sarcastic remark meant to imply that your proposed solution involves way too much removal of civil liberties.
    Right, I get that. My response is to imply that it is not my proposed solution, I am merely pointing this out as one stake the government has in keeping it illegal.

Virtually everyone who wants pot can already get it pretty easily illegally; it really is that available.
    Yes, but the mainstream population does not know that nor are they willing to find out. Amongst the people you know it is acceptable despite its illegal nature, but I believe to the mainstream population it is still seen as taboo due to lack of proper education.

I should mention, I do not use it now but I am speaking from personal experience. Personally I think it needs to be legalized because I think it will only become more integrated into the younger generations as time goes on... if it is legal and regulated then these kids would not be able to get it from drug dealers and would have a difficult time getting it from regulated sources (I also think minors should not be using it anyways). As you say, it is very attainable, so the question becomes, where do we want people to attain it from?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes, but the mainstream population does not know that nor are they willing to find out. Amongst the people you know it is acceptable despite its illegal nature, but I believe to the mainstream population it is still seen as taboo due to lack of proper education.
    Marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug in the world. Tens of millions of Americans smoke pot regularly. It's really NOT taboo for many Americans.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

:yim_rolling_on_the_

What mainstream population are you talking about?

You might be surprised to learn that in the United States more than 750,000 people are arrested every year on marijuana possession. In New York, under "moderate" Bloomberg, there were 40,000 pot arrests last year, and the city now has the unfortunate distinction of being the marijuana-arrest capital of the world.

(Source: Marijuana in America: More Mainstream Than Ever, More Arrests Than Ever | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet)

And that's just the ones who got caught, who already constitute a small minority of total users.

Where do you live, anyway?

MBTI
    istp

Population, United States - 304,059,724 - Jul 2008

I live in Seattle. I am not saying there aren't a lot of people who use it, but that is still only a fraction of the population.