User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which statement do you believe is true about global warming?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global warming isn't happening.

8 9.64%
  • Global warming is happening, but is neither threatening nor man-made.

15 18.07%
  • Global warming is happening, and is threatening, but not man-made.

8 9.64%
  • Global warming is happening, is not threatening, but is man-made.

5 6.02%
  • Global warming is happening and is both threatening and man-made.

35 42.17%
  • I have no idea which is true.

12 14.46%
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If it's happening or not, doesnt matter, we gonna find out soon enough. Logical tho is the preservance of the environment and ressources. Anything else would be tactically stupid.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If it's happening or not, doesnt matter, we gonna find out soon enough. Logical tho is the preservance of the environment and ressources. Anything else would be tactically stupid.
    The environment cannot be preserved the way most people think it can. It is a dynamic system that integrates internal and external variables. To think that we can render it within a homeostasis is dubious, because it is going to change whether we like it or not.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

So we die trieing
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

I believe in climate change which is not made made, nor does it threaten us as a species.

Earth's climate has changed before.
    We are here.
    If we all die, cool, no one will be here to remember.

Or, *insert religious answer*.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    I believe in climate change which is not made made, nor does it threaten us as a species.

Earth's climate has changed before.
    We are here.
    If we all die, cool, no one will be here to remember.

Or, *insert religious answer*.
    This sounds quite daoist, but the idea that inactivity is a better choice than attempting to change the natural course of things is generally not acceptable when the fate of civilized humanity is in question. Especially so when there is a lot of speculation that our activity is contributing to the problem, which in turn should suggest that our activity can contribute to a positive solution (which also sounds quite daoist).

MBTI
    ENTP

I knew I'd get a fancy word for that post.

I would have put money on "nihilist" though.

I have the view that Global warming is happening and is both threatening and man-made. But I have not enough data to be sure about it, only what I hear, and the interactions and possible motives of each side. So I think it is best to err on the side of caution, and it can't really hurt to respect the environment and become more sustainable, especially seeing overpopulation and resources will be a problem in the near future, if they aren't already.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTP

Default A TERRIBLE SIMPLIFICATION, I KNOW

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I knew I'd get a fancy word for that post.

I would have put money on "nihilist" though.
    Daoism sounds nihilist, except its followers are hippies instead of emos.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think that saying "global warming is man-made" is a bad way of describing what you really mean. What you really mean is "global warming is being influenced by man". No, I don't care that I'm being nit-picky. People need to be thoroughly informed about what global warming actually is, rather than making general assumptions and muddling the waters of perception. Making a claim that "global warming is man-made" catalyzes fear and ignorance.

I'm not implying that you are ignorant. I just don't want others to be ignorant.
    If I said it was influenced by man, I would have been complained at by people who think that is too weak a way to put it. The only truly thorough way I could have put it would have been too long to make a poll option. So I picked a simple label and gave a clearer definition in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    The media blows global warming out of proportion. The media also blows "2012" out of proportion. So how is one to take the media seriously at all? The media is the boy who cried wolf and eventually got the entire village eaten because he was such a deceitful little prick.
    Because in the case of one, the scientific community says it's serious, and the case of the other, the scientific community says the media is being idiotic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Kats did great in recounting what the information we have about the climate really is, without so much coloring or bias towards a certain conclusion. That is, until she got to the part of comparing ANY variable to "the straw that broke the camel's back", thereby asserting that there is a scientifically observable fact that states a change on the scale of human CO2 emissions can tilt the climate into an unnatural shift. As far as I know, there is no scientific evidence that has shown us that, especially when considering the info that she herself posted.

Current science can observe what the climate changes are as fact. What we see is indisputable. We see that the climate changes continuously. We cannot, however, see all the variables involved, and we cannot observe if one thing tilts the climate into a great change because we can't even see what all the other variables are doing and how they're doing it. Therefore, it is a leap, an extrapolation, to say that one small change (human or otherwise) can somehow tip the scales over all other existing variables. As far as I know, we don't have the scientific data to fully support that idea. If we do, I'd like to see it.

From what i saw, Kats had a very objective outlook on the whole issue, but then abandoned it to jump to a judgment, a conclusion, about the workings of it all that is perhaps not in accordance with the objective information she had obtained and communicated.
    Not... really.

I don't so much have a judgement or conclusion to be honest. From the evidence I've looked up, that's whot seems to make the most sense.

Note also that I did *NOT* say anything about CO2 causing global warming AT ALL EVER. Because it doesn't. There's no evidence it does. CO2 levels are completely independent of global warming. Sure there's been some correlation between the two, but one does not directly cause the other in the way as has been assumed previously.

Whot I was saying, is that there most assuredly *IS* a breaking point at when things flip over from temperate climate, to ice age. It literally takes 2-3 years for the change to occur from recent studies on that matter.

The impacts we have are very minor, however, if things are basically set up with a point at which it suddenly shifts, and we KNOW we're very close to that point anyway, even if we're not really sure where that point is, anything we do which directly adjusts the temperature of a localized location, from smog, to laying more asphalt or concrete roads, to cutting trees, each of these things can have drastic changes in the amount of heat which's absorbed by that location and how much is reflected back into space again. Those aren't "zomg co2!", that's actual, easy to prove, fact. If yeu have enough major cities screwing with their localized environment like that, it can have a cumulative effect. If we also know that a certain cumulative effect in certain regions will have a negative impact, then it would make sense to avoid having that occur.

I'm not saying anything about CO2 at all, I'm just saying that we obviously *DO* affect the environment around ourselves, especially around cities. Yeu flat out can NOT tell me that smog doesn't change how hot the temperature is and expect me to believe yeu, because it's kind of obvious it does. Yeu can't tell me that asphalt doesn't absorb heat more readily than grass. Yeu also can't say that replacing trees with buildings or just clearcutting doesn't adjust the wind properties, and heat absorption rate for that location.

Fact is we have an impact. Another fact is that there's a number of variables which, when each go beyond a certain point, leads invariably to an ice age. We don't know whot all the variables are though... there may be some major ones we don't know about. We do, however, have enough information to suggest that the temperature of the poles is kind of important, though the equator is less so important. The global temperature has gone down very slightly in the last 10 years, but it's been going down around the equator, and up around the poles. One can only surmise, from the information that we have, that this may be kind of bad, and there may be some things we can do to adjust things in such a way that are beneficial to whot we're trying to achieve (ie not freezing to death).

I just find it silly to claim we have absolutely zero control. We don't have THAT much control, but if yeu're on the edge of a fence, it doesn't take that much control to determine which side yeu fall on either.

Of course, this's just based on our current (and specifically *MY*) understanding of how things work. There are gaps in that knowledge. I won't say "May be gaps" because it's kind of obvious they're there. I'm not a climatologist, nor am I professionally trained. Even those who are don't have all the facts as there's alot of factors that they haven't figured out either. There's alot of information we still just don't have.

That being said, however, I do believe we have enough capability to at least slow the inevitable process down for the moment. Maybe we can halt it entirely, maybe we can't. I have no idea. At the moment we probably can't, but maybe eventually we can change that. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to make at least somewhot of an impact for the better though.

CO2 really doesn't have the effect that was originally claimed, from the reports that I've read since then on both sides of the issue. There are other factors which do cause problems and are. We still need to address these other issues, since they may very well be hazardous.