User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which statement do you believe is true about global warming?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global warming isn't happening.

8 9.64%
  • Global warming is happening, but is neither threatening nor man-made.

15 18.07%
  • Global warming is happening, and is threatening, but not man-made.

8 9.64%
  • Global warming is happening, is not threatening, but is man-made.

5 6.02%
  • Global warming is happening and is both threatening and man-made.

35 42.17%
  • I have no idea which is true.

12 14.46%
First 34567 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Kats did great in recounting what the information we have about the climate really is, without so much coloring or bias towards a certain conclusion. That is, until she got to the part of comparing ANY variable to "the straw that broke the camel's back", thereby asserting that there is a scientifically observable fact that states a change on the scale of human CO2 emissions can tilt the climate into an unnatural shift. As far as I know, there is no scientific evidence that has shown us that, especially when considering the info that she herself posted.

Current science can observe what the climate changes are as fact. What we see is indisputable. We see that the climate changes continuously. We cannot, however, see all the variables involved, and we cannot observe if one thing tilts the climate into a great change because we can't even see what all the other variables are doing and how they're doing it. Therefore, it is a leap, an extrapolation, to say that one small change (human or otherwise) can somehow tip the scales over all other existing variables. As far as I know, we don't have the scientific data to fully support that idea. If we do, I'd like to see it.

From what i saw, Kats had a very objective outlook on the whole issue, but then abandoned it to jump to a judgment, a conclusion, about the workings of it all that is perhaps not in accordance with the objective information she had obtained and communicated.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

So, this poll sample currently represents a remote smidgen more than 3% of the active members here, based on the information I used.

...We need higher turnout.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So, this poll sample currently represents a remote smidgen more than 3% of the active members here, based on the information I used.

...We need higher turnout.
    Horray for sampling bias .

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Horray for sampling bias .
    I have no idea which way the bias swings unfortunately.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I have no idea which way the bias swings unfortunately.
    Me neither. The entire forum is mainly comprised of intuitive, and I do believe intuitives are much more likely to lean left politically, which in turn colors their views on issues such as global warming, and I can't say if NTs would generally be any more or less liberal than NFs. Either way, the forum as a whole is an extremely bias sample, so I do hope you wont use it to compare to the general population of the USA. I have confidence that that's not what your trying to do.

MBTI
    SEXY

Global warming is happening, but is neither threatening nor man-made.

The scare tactics by Al Gore are the most mentioned source on this subject, and he provides hardly any scientific background at all. On the other hand I've heard plenty of reliable scientists deny the problem altogether. Personal experience tells me that the earth is warming up a bit though. I can ice-skate less and less every year. But that really is the only indication I have.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Global warming is a misnomer. Also, it is theartening, but not man-made. What do I mean by this? I mean that rising global temperatures won't result in diaster on its own, but the effect this change in climate will have on living organisms is something we HAVE to be concerned about. This poses a strong theart to us, but we didn't start it. We just sped up the process, by being completely ecologically retarded.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    Global warming is a misnomer. Also, it is theartening, but not man-made. What do I mean by this? I mean that rising global temperatures won't result in diaster on its own, but the effect this change in climate will have on living organisms is something we HAVE to be concerned about. This poses a strong theart to us, but we didn't start it. We just sped up the process, by being completely ecologically retarded.
    In all honesty, I think a natural variation in global temperatures on the up side is more beneficial, and our cataclysmic views about it are based on projections from the manmade global warming camp who is obviously not in touch with reality. Historically, warming periods have been associated with agricultural boons. Plants do grow better when the climate is, on average, warmer. Now in some ecosystems you will get more extreme variances (but that doesn't happen everywhere) that can be damaging, but that damage will be repaired over time is it balances out again, and other areas will be benefited from the rise in temperatures. It's a CHANGE, something the earth does all the time. Having a period of global cooling would be horrible for food production and agriculture, and costly considering we need power to keep ourselves warm.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Option 5 has been in slow decline.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Ginkgo

I think that saying "global warming is man-made" is a bad way of describing what you really mean. What you really mean is "global warming is being influenced by man". No, I don't care that I'm being nit-picky. People need to be thoroughly informed about what global warming actually is, rather than making general assumptions and muddling the waters of perception. Making a claim that "global warming is man-made" catalyzes fear and ignorance.

I'm not implying that you are ignorant. I just don't want others to be ignorant.

The globe has been warming and cooling since the dawn of, well, the globe.

However, to answer your question, I think that global warming is - on a minute level - affected my man, but it is not as dangerous as the media portrays it to be.

The media blows global warming out of proportion. The media also blows "2012" out of proportion. So how is one to take the media seriously at all? The media is the boy who cried wolf and eventually got the entire village eaten because he was such a deceitful little prick.
    Last edited by Ginkgo; 10-27-2009 at 02:46 AM.