User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which statement do you believe is true about global warming?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global warming isn't happening.

8 9.64%
  • Global warming is happening, but is neither threatening nor man-made.

15 18.07%
  • Global warming is happening, and is threatening, but not man-made.

8 9.64%
  • Global warming is happening, is not threatening, but is man-made.

5 6.02%
  • Global warming is happening and is both threatening and man-made.

35 42.17%
  • I have no idea which is true.

12 14.46%
First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think it's happening.

However, I think it's partially man man made.

Lastly, I think more data needs to be taken on how threatening it is.

As of right now, most of the damage incurred from Global Warming is ripple effect damage and not direct damage. Think about a single species of frog being displaced from the rain forest (ripple effect), as opposed to the sea level rising to such an extent that most of the most valuable property on the eastern seaboard is under water (direct damage).

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    You missed out the option for its happening for natural reasons, but humans are most likely making it happen stronger/faster and it is threatening.

Fail poll, nulled
    My poll is inclusive of that opinion. As I specifically said, you should say it's man-made even if think only 25% of it results from human activity.

That you don't get a choice specifically accounting for that opinion in writing is irrelevant and too bad for you if you don't like it. You can't make an opinion poll that expresses every possible opinion. You have to include them all in a few broad sets of perameters instead.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Assuming that "threatening" refers to possible harm on human sustainability...

Would I be of the "global warming is man-made/not threatening" group if I believed that, although global warming will eventually occur, humanity will wipe itself out of existence far sooner than would be required to feel any threatening effects from global warming?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Come on people, hustle! Forget about Roman Polanski.
    Oh, well excuse me if I was distracted for half an hour, giggling at a monkey wailing on its trainer.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Assuming that "threatening" refers to possible harm on human sustainability...

Would I be of the "global warming is man-made/not threatening" group if I believed that, although global warming will eventually occur, humanity will wipe itself out of existence far sooner than would be required to feel any threatening effects from global warming?
    Well, depends on how sure you are. If you think that global warming is slow enough that we'll already be forsaken by the time it comes around, I guess it makes sense for you to pick the non-threatening option. After all, we could say the sun going nova is potentially threatening, but that won't happening in human life time, I suspect, so I wouldn't account for it as a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Oh, well excuse me if I was distracted for half an hour, giggling at a monkey wailing on its trainer.
    No, that's fine. The monkey attack is worthy of attention. I was just telling people to stop passing this up for Roman Polanski.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Habitat destruction is a far greater problem than carbon dioxide emissions will ever be.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Habitat destruction is a far greater problem than carbon dioxide emissions will ever be.
    Climate change alters habitats. Habitats alter the atmosphere. It's a positive feedback loop.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

*READ BEFORE VOTING*

This is a poll to see how pervasive the acceptence of global warming/climate change is on this forum, and how it is perceived.

I am fairly certain all six choices should encompass all possible views. Read the choices very carefully before you select, so that you do not pick the wrong answer.

Only pick the "I have no idea which is true" option if you have no leanings at all. If you suspect one of the other choices is true, but don't feel "sure", that doesn't matter. Pick the one you lean toward anyway. The 6th option is only for the totally undecided/indifferent.

And for the purpose of this poll, threatening means "does enough harm for you to be concerned and think others should be concerned", and man-made means "at least 25% of the effects exist only because of human activity".

Now vote.
    I didn't vote. This is absolutely ridiculous. Global Warming is out. Climate Change is in. Global climate can change due to various man-made pollutants, as can be seen with the polar ice caps, but it changes without our help. It's impossible to really figure out on what scale our industrial pollution, husbandry and other retarded human activities are actually changing the climate or warming the globe.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ESFJ

I voted "Global warming is happening and is both threatening and man-made." [EDIT: more specifically, this particular episode of global warming is, in part, man-made.]

That might be surprise some people here. However, I am very critical of all proposed solutions that I know of. I am not convinced that any politically administered solution is appropriate or could even work.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

My poll is inclusive of that opinion. As I specifically said, you should say it's man-made even if think only 25% of it results from human activity.

That you don't get a choice specifically accounting for that opinion in writing is irrelevant and too bad for you if you don't like it. You can't make an opinion poll that expresses every possible opinion. You have to include them all in a few broad sets of perameters instead.
    I dont think its man-made, i think its man-assisted
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I dont think its man-made, i think its man-assisted
    I gave you the definition of man-made for the purpose of this thread. It includes man-assisted. If you're getting hung up on this poll because you can' stop thinking in terms of another definition, that's your problem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.