User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    I'm not ignorant I know perfectly well what is going on. People in order to get married by God does not need to go to get a marriage license from the government and get permission from the government.

I didn't know God married people.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If it's just a question of semantics, then why would it matter whether it's a civil union or a marriage?
    They just want the respect of calling it marriage. That's how our society recognizes what is suppose to be the ultimate commitment two people make.

Would it really hurt anyone to let them have that? It's a private thing.

Which specific liberty would be denied if there were civil unions for gays that were exactly the same as marriage, but not called marriage?
    Being able to have the symbol of "marriage" without needing to seek out a very liberal church somewhere, and having the state recognize them the same as straight couples. Having that liberty is really important to some people.

And you are kidding yourself if you don't think that extremists on the pro-gay marriage side don't have any spite involved. You think that sticking it to conservative religious people doesn't animate some of them?
    Could the fact that it would piss off some fundamental Christians somewhere be a bonus to some of them? Sure. But they just want the equal right to get married, mostly for themselves.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

You landed in this thread like a smoke jumper, my man.
    And protected by a suit of flawless logic .

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They just want the respect of calling it marriage. That's how our society recognizes what is suppose to be the ultimate commitment two people make.
    The government is not society.

Would it really hurt anyone to let them have that? It's a private thing.
    If it's completely unnecessary and just political grandstanding, then yes.

Being able to have the symbol of "marriage" without needing to seek out a very liberal church somewhere, and having the state recognize them the same as straight couples. Having that liberty is really important to some people.
    You're confusing "liberty" with "acceptance and acknowledgment by society." This is about equality, not about making people feel better by putting the imprimatur of the government onto their relationships.

Could the fact that it would piss off some fundamental Christians somewhere be a bonus to some of them? Sure. But they just want the equal right to get married, mostly for themselves.
    They are being offered complete equality with straight people in my scenario. There is no reason whatsoever to be unsatisfied with civil unions for everyone EXCEPT for wanting your relationship to be acknowledged BY GOVERNMENT as "a marriage." That is not right. That is the mirror image of religious people wanting to define marriage as one man and one woman.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Exactly. I lived in a heavily Latin community for years. I saw it with my own eyes, and was totally shocked.

I knew a black Dominican girl who was more browned skinned than I am, had very beautiful tightly curled hair, was clearly of African descent. She claimed, adamantly, that she was white Caucasian. It's my understanding that many Latin people check that they are white, and identify as white, when indeed they are more African, or more indigenous. It's quite twisted, and the attitudes in the countries are often similar to pre-Civil Rights Movement in the US. There's so little open attention to race related issues. The situation gets swept under the rug; and yet, it's all so glaringly obvious if you are familiar with the culture, or just turn on Telemundo.
    Yea... Dominicans have a problem with admitting that they are Black. I find it hilarious though
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTP

There is no reason whatsoever to be unsatisfied with civil unions for everyone EXCEPT for wanting your relationship to be acknowledged BY GOVERNMENT as "a marriage." That is not right.
    Yeah, they want that basic respect we've been giving straight relationships for all these years. For shame!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yeah, they want that basic respect we've been giving straight relationships for all these years. For shame!
    Are you going to make an actual argument that makes sense, or are you going to appeal to emotion and neglect the fact that gays would be treated EXACTLY the same as straights in a civil unions-for-all system? Never mind the fact that you don't earn respect by using the government to enforce your viewpoint. In fact, it usually inspires resentment.

MBTI
    INTP

Are you going to make an actual argument that makes sense, or are you going to appeal to emotion and neglect the fact that gays would be treated EXACTLY the same as straights in a civil unions-for-all system?
    People only want government to stop calling it marriage because gays want to get married all of the sudden. If the government changed the name, it would be for the sake of religion.

There is no real non-religious argument against it and using the word like we have been; calling it a marriage license.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Oh fuck; I didn't realize you couldn't have children if you weren't married.

But now I know.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ESFJ

People only want government to stop calling it marriage because gays want to get married all of the sudden. If the government changed the name, it would be for the sake of religion.

There is no real non-religious argument against it and using the word like we have been; calling it a marriage license.

I just provided a non-religious argument against it, so you're clearly incorrect.