User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Changing it just for the sake of semantics, or to not disrespect religion, doesn't seem like strong enough reason. Some support it just to spite gay people by making it harder for them to get "married".
    It's not for the sake of semantics. There is a real difference between a marriage and a civil union. One should reside in the realm of conscience, the other in the realm of civil law.

The "spite" argument works both ways, too. There are many on the pro-gay marriage side who wouldn't be satisfied with civil unions that were exactly the same as marriages except in name. They want marriage defined in their own manner. They don't deserve to force their views on anyone else, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't doubt that the justice had good intentions. He genuinely believes that the children produced in such a marriage will be at a disadvantage. But I think he needs to realize that what he did was beyond the scope of his authority.
    Yes, basically it isn't UP to him to make these decisions for the couple in question. He can have his opinions, but that's not his decision to make. He is acting as a hand of the government, and the government doesn't make that decision for people.

In short, I don't think he's a racist. I think he just applied his personal experiences, made a judgment call without careful reasoning or understanding of the implications, and didn't take proper regard for his level of authority in relation to existing law.
    I don't think he is racist either, it sounded from the quote in the OP that he had some "rational reasons" for believing the children of the union will suffer some issues later in life, and he could easily be correct.

But yes, again, it's not his choice to make. He can choose not to marry interracially himself but has no right or privileges to refuse another that decision to marry, and he's also mispresenting the authority that granted him power to represent it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, basically it isn't UP to him to make these decisions for the couple in question. He can have his opinions, but that's not his decision to make. He is acting as a hand of the government, and the government doesn't make that decision for people.

I don't think he is racist either, it sounded from the quote in the OP that he had some "rational reasons" for believing the children of the union will suffer some issues later in life, and he could easily be correct.

But yes, again, it's not his choice to make. He can choose not to marry interracially himself but has no right or privileges to refuse another that decision to marry, and he's also mispresenting the authority that granted him power to represent it.

He very well may not be racist, but this is a textbook example of someone in government trashing someone's rights even while you are "there to help."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    He very well may not be racist, but this is a textbook example of someone in government trashing someone's rights even while you are "there to help."
    I think that's what I said.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think that's what I said.
    And I agree! I was just trying to point out that this is a pattern. A lot of damage done by those in power is not out of stupidity or venality, but misguided benevolence.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's not for the sake of semantics. There is a real difference between a marriage and a civil union. One should reside in the realm of conscience, the other in the realm of civil law.

The "spite" argument works both ways, too. There are many on the pro-gay marriage side who wouldn't be satisfied with civil unions that were exactly the same as marriages except in name. They want marriage defined in their own manner. They don't deserve to force their views on anyone else, either.
    They aren't trying to deny anyone any specific liberty, but the anti-gay side is. So it's not the same, and not really out of spite, they just want the dignity of being "married".

MBTI
    INFP

I call this imposing your morals on others and I HATE THAT attitude!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They aren't trying to deny anyone any specific liberty, but the anti-gay side is. So it's not the same, and not really out of spite, they just want the dignity of being "married".
    Your argument doesn't hold water. If it's just a question of semantics, then why would it matter whether it's a civil union or a marriage? It's the same mentality, just from a different angle. Which specific liberty would be denied if there were civil unions for gays that were exactly the same as marriage, but not called marriage? None whatsoever. And you are kidding yourself if you don't think that extremists on the pro-gay marriage side don't have any spite involved. You think that sticking it to conservative religious people doesn't animate some of them?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

The obvious solution is just to call all marriages "civil unions".

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    The obvious solution is just to call all marriages "civil unions".

You landed in this thread like a smoke jumper, my man.