User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

This is outrageous. I've said it before, I'll say it again: GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF MARRIAGE!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Zizek made an interesting comment on how Anti-Racism is now the new racism. If you're supposedly anti-racist, you can now freely condenscend to those who supposedly are.
    I've heard this theory before, on how the white elite shifted the burden of their sins against minorities onto the shoulders of the working class whites, and I think there is a lot of truth in it. After all, the Kennedys and the Kerrys don't have to worry about the affirmative action adversely affecting their earning potential or handicapping their opportunities - their Ivy League schools and trust funds are guaranteed, and they will never have to compete for resources with lowly minorities, or lowly whites for that matter.
    I've also heard some people claim that Anti-Racism is a form of "divide and conquer" and oppression of lower classes by the elites, in order to maintain political control.

I recall talking to a black southerner once. In his experience, racist rednecks were actually less racist that the well to do liberals. I am paraphrasing what he said, since that conversation took place years ago, but it was something like this: "Billy Bob would warn me against marrying his daughter, and the next day invite me to his July 4th bbq, but when I was in Massachusetts, a lot of those supposedly tolerant liberals wouldn't sit next to me in the bus".
    Last edited by Edgar; 10-16-2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    But if the family/community structure encouraged racist attitudes, and these attitudes have been engrained, the pressures of greater society may have little to no effect on a person's beliefs.
    I'm assuming family/community socialization in the first place; overt racism is viewed negatively within mainstream culture.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I've also heard some people claim that Anti-Racism is a form of "divide and conquer" and oppression of lower classes by the elites, in order to maintain political control.
    Pretty effective strategy, as long as you're focused on the scary brown man or whatever, you aren't directing action towards multi-billionaires.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is outrageous. I've said it before, I'll say it again: GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF MARRIAGE!
    So no legal rights and benefits for married couples? Or do you want to give them rights but just call it something else?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So no legal rights and benefits for married couples? Or do you want to give them rights but just call it something else?
    Government should only handle "civil unions" i.e. a lifetime contract between two consenting adults.

"Marriage" is a religious institution and should therefore be handled by churches. They can approve and deny whoever they see fit based on their religious dogmas.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Civil unions for everyone. Two-party government contract. If you want a marriage, find someone who does marriage ceremonies. Catholic Church can make it straights only. Liberal rabbis and Episcopalians or whatever can have gay marriages. Don't have a legal definition of marriage for idiots to fight over.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Government should only handle "civil unions" i.e. a lifetime contract between two consenting adults.

"Marriage" is a religious institution and should therefore be handled by churches. They can approve and deny whoever they see fit based on their religious dogmas.

There you go.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I have no idea why this hasn't been done yet. I don't understand politics at all.

MBTI
    INTP

Speaking of marriage issues, I think it was Ralph Nader who said that Proposition 8 in California would have been shot down had the people involved in the movement simply used "civil union" instead of "marriage." But they insisted on doing so and failed because conservative Hispanic Catholics don't play dat. Now it will be difficult to allow even civil unions in that state.