User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Latinos in this country are pretty prejudiced as well. I worked in a predominantly Hispanic school once and you would be astonished by what comes out of the mouths of even middle school children. It goes back to the white v. black in their ancestry.
    Exactly. I lived in a heavily Latin community for years. I saw it with my own eyes, and was totally shocked.

I knew a black Dominican girl who was more browned skinned than I am, had very beautiful tightly curled hair, was clearly of African descent. She claimed, adamantly, that she was white Caucasian. It's my understanding that many Latin people check that they are white, and identify as white, when indeed they are more African, or more indigenous. It's quite twisted, and the attitudes in the countries are often similar to pre-Civil Rights Movement in the US. There's so little open attention to race related issues. The situation gets swept under the rug; and yet, it's all so glaringly obvious if you are familiar with the culture, or just turn on Telemundo.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Sniffles

I believe in Latin America there's a one-drop rule where if you're part White you're considered to be White.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I believe in Latin America there's a one-drop rule where if you're part White you're considered to be White.
    So, it's like the reverse of ours?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    So, it's like the reverse of ours?
    Pretty much.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think how open a person is about their beliefs is a good gauge of how racist they are.
    I think its indicative of how socially acceptable racism is within the environment one is raised in, which in turn influences how racist a person actually is. In short, its about as good a gauge as any, outside of membership within an overtly racist organization. What do you consider to be better indicators?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I think its indicative of how socially acceptable racism is within the environment one is raised in, which in turn influences how racist a person actually is. In short, its about as good a gauge as any, outside of membership within an overtly racist organization. What do you consider to be better indicators?
    You would have to know a person personally to know whether they are racist or not. There are reasons why an Asian or white person might not express their racist beliefs in public, that have nothing to do with them not having them. A person might be influenced by society to keep their views to themselves, but I don't think that diminishes them.

MBTI
    INTP

You would have to know a person personally to know whether they are racist or not. There are reasons why an Asian or white person might not express their beliefs in public, that have nothing to do with them not having them. A person might be influenced by society to keep their views to themselves, but I don't think that diminishes them.
    I have to disagree on that point; social pressures to keep certain views to oneself represents the negative reinforcement aspect of socialization. In other words, people are socialized to regard racism as an undesirable trait, which impacts their actual beliefs over time.

Enneagram
    1w2

I have to disagree on that point; social pressures to keep certain views to oneself represents the negative reinforcement aspect of socialization. In other words, people are socialized to regard racism as an undesirable trait, which impacts their actual beliefs over time.
    There is often a contradiction between implied social behavior and explicit social behavior and people sense the vibrations between the two.

For example a white family may never have said explicitly to a child, we don't want you to bring home a non-white person, but behaviorally whenever a parent saw an interracial couple there could have been reactions of disapproval by headshaking or hard stares. So while such behaviors may not have been verbalized, attitudinally they are still transmitted.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    So while such behaviors may not have been verbalized, attitudinally they are still transmitted.
    And behaviors/attitudes are also transmitted explicitly, directly, and without the cognitive dissonance which the mixed signals you refer to would bring about. In short, casual racism has more of an impact than repressed racism, which invites critical evaluation of the behaviors/attitudes being transmitted.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

But if the family/community structure encouraged racist attitudes, and these attitudes have been ingrained, the pressures of greater society may have little to no effect on a person's beliefs.