Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

MBTI
    INTJ

Emily sounds like a classy girl.

I bet she does AtM on the first date.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INxJ

(CBS) Calls have been intensifying for the firing or resignation of an official who refused earlier this month to marry an interracial couple.

Keith Bardwell, a white justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish in southeastern Louisiana, wouldn't issue a license to or preside over the nuptials for Beth Humphrey, who is white, and Terence McKay, of Hammond, La., who is black.

The two were later married by another area justice of the peace.

Bardwell, who's held his post more than 30 years, says interracial marriages are wrong, it's his right not to perform them, and the children of such unions face problems down the road.

The American Civil Liberties Union in Louisiana and the Center for Constitutional Rights and Justice say Bardwell should quit immediately, as does the Hammond chapter of the NAACP.

CBS News legal analyst Lisa Bloom called for Bardwell to be canned, saying on "The Early Show Saturday Edition" that Bardwell's actions are "blatantly" illegal.

McKay told David Spunt of CBS affiliate WAFB of Baton Rouge, La., that Bardwell's stand is "disheartening.

"Seriously, it's 2009 and we are still dealing with a form of racism," said McKay. "He's saying that 99 percent of [interracial marriage] winds up in divorce. How many people get married that winds up in divorce, black or white? ... It's unethical to me, because he's an elected official and he cannot do that."

Asked what he'd say to Bardwell, McKay responded, "Good luck. That's all I can tell him. I wish him the best. I don't wish him any harm, but he was wrong."

Blunt says Louisiana's Judicial Code of Ethics requires officials like Bardwell to "perform judicial duties without bias or prejudice."

But Bardwell insisted to WAFB, "I stand by my decision, and it is my right not to marry an interracial couple."

Bloom described Bardwell's actions as "immoral and outrageous. It's also patently illegal," since a 1967 Supreme Court ruling that interracial marriages are "absolutely legal."

"It is unlawful for anyone to refuse to perform them," she said.

"Once he is performing any marriages," Bloom continued, "he is obligated not to discriminate based on race. To me, this is a blatant violation of Louisiana and federal law and I agree with all of those who have criticized him and said he should be fired."

Bloom also took note of President Obama being the product of an interracial marriage, wondering of Bardwell, "Has he had any kind of basic awareness of who our president is? This is just shocking to me in 2009."

"He should face immediate termination," Bloom repeated. "He's refusing to follow the law in performing his duties. He's also potentially exposing his county - it's called a parish in Louisiana - to a lawsuit for race discrimination. He's really causing, I think, a lot of problems for that area, and that's why he's got to go."
    Heat Builds in Interracial Marriage Denial - The Early Show - CBS News

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hurr you two have different skin colors, so you aren't entitled to be together for the rest of your lives! My logic is flawless!

Seriously, what the hell kind of sense of morality does this person have? Why do they waste their brain space on bias?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't remember reading in the Constitution where a judge can deny someone their rights due to concerns over convenience.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I was talking about it to my dad, who made the mention that this capability to marry people is a side thing Justices of the Peace are CAPABLE of doing. That they aren't required to marry anyone at all, and that there are justices of the peace that haven't married anyone in their whole careers because they usually do it for the extra money. Acknowledging that, if they do do that at all they should be prepared for all circumstances and responsibilities of marriage to come their way.

If that guy has the fucked up beliefs, than it's fucked up. He shouldn't be marrying anyone at all because his beliefs forbid him from performing his duties entirely. But I don't think I'd sue or try to impose my beliefs on someone else. Nor do I think he should be sued for simply having a different belief. If I were the couple, I'd just spread the word that the douche is a racist and go get married by a priest or by another Justice. And Louisiana should tell him not to marry anyone from this point forward.

I wouldn't want people to impose their beliefs on me and force me to do my job based on their beliefs.. It's harder to say that, because he's displaying blatant racism and thus wrong imo, but I don't think it's anymore right to press beliefs onto another person.
    In the end, it's fucked up, and this Justice will have to stand by his fucked up beliefs through all this heat, but beliefs are important to people of all types and we all don't believe the same thing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    YaYa

I'm surprised this hasn't come up sooner.

MBTI
    ISTJ

That judge just ended his career.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

wow this is embarrassing
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Hurr you two have different skin colors...

(That's what their mixed black and white children will look like)
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.