User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Thank you. I was just about to post that. Again. The article in the OP is blatantly false where it says "The US constitution calls for the separation of state and religion." The First Amendment was put in place to KEEP THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OUT OF IT, meaning they can't pass laws to restrict people's religious freedoms for or against. Many people (and courts) have been distorting it to create a mythical "separation of church and state" so long that people who don't actually read the Constitution believe that it's in there.

I think it's ridiculous that a verdict would be thrown out because jurors consulted the Bible. If jurors brought in "Uncle Dave's 10 Tips For Living Right" instead, would the case be thrown out then? Because, otherwise they are clearly discriminating against Christianity.

I would think that there would be a pretty big stink if they consulted the Torah or the Qur'an instead.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    People swear on the Bible in court (or used to do so, I haven't been on jury duty). I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few lying around.
    I wouldn't be surprised by a few, but this makes it sound like there were a lot -- enough for the whole jury. Don't they also have other religious texts for people to swear on? Where were they? Who prepared the excerpts?

There isn't enough information on the article to make a judgement but it certainly does make one suspicious.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised by a few, but this makes it sound like there were a lot -- enough for the whole jury. Don't they also have other religious texts for people to swear on? Where were they? Who prepared the excerpts?

There isn't enough information on the article to make a judgement but it certainly does make one suspicious.
    It sounds weird, but it doesn't sound like the jurors were instructed to consult the Bible, so I don't really see grounds for an appeal. Besides, it is not as if the Bible has a specific viewpoint when it comes to criminal law. A billion Catholics consult the Bible and the Church has strict dogma stating that capital punishment is morally wrong.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Are there rules about how juries deliberate? I thought they pretty much give you instructions and then leave you up to your own devices. In fact, if all the jurors agreed, there's no reason that I know of that anyone would even know what went on in the room. I'm just wondering what other things could be found out about the manner of deliberations that could be grounds for an appeal.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    But the thing is, if it was any other form of control and manipulation people wouldnt be pissed. Also this would seem to imply that if any juror even mentions anything having to do with religion it invalidates the case. What if a juror mentioned that there father was killed and the murderer was allowed to live?
    Note that if this were the case, the juror would've been stricken from the trial, and it would've been held as a mistrial and they'd have to start all over again. A juror can NOT have any previous bias upon the case.