User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Everyone who serves on a jury must use their own judgment to come to a decision on such matters. And there are a multitude of moral and ethical frameworks that individual jurors will bring to bear on such a decision. I'm not sure how you can overturn the case on this basis without making a statement that anyone who holds religious belief is ineligible to serve. Many people will make decisions on the same grounds or using the same thought process regardless of the presence of the Bibles. They're kind of a red herring here.

That said, I'm troubled by the presence of the Bibles in the jury room, unless they were brought in by the jurors themselves.
    I agree with everything you just said; I'm no more troubled by this than I would be by a juror who was influenced by, say, a secular left-wing philosophy (coughamnestyinternationalcough) and decided against the death penalty on that basis. All of this is kinda the point to having multi-member juries...

MBTI
    INxJ

That said, I'm troubled by the presence of the Bibles in the jury room, unless they were brought in by the jurors themselves.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Jesus may have overrode all the OT stuff when he said: "Love your neighbor as yourself"
    Jesus was a radical egalitarian. I don't think many modern Christians would identify with him.

MBTI
    istp

It is human misjudgment that causes our troubles, not the Bible. We will convict murderers of their wrongdoing but not ourselves.

Sniffles

I dont' see much of a problem with this considering that the Bible forms a major foundation for Western concepts of law.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Jesus was a radical egalitarian.
    No he wasn't.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I dont' see much of a problem with this considering that the Bible forms a major foundation for Western concepts of law.
    Aye. Justice just never works very well once you forsake common sense at all cost. Don't they ask for things to be stricken from the record? Why not this? Just a sly move from the defense... they already have the evidence, just get a fresh jury and have them determine the punishment.

Seriously, these jury members weren't convinced by highlighted passages in an old book that murderers should be murdered. Chances are, they already wanted to partake in cleansing the world of another murderous idiot. The only question for me would be, was there any pressure from the bible-thumpers for the non-bible-thumpers to join them in their murdering of the murderer?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

No he wasn't.
    Jesus was a lot of different things, depending on which Gospels you read. I suspect he wasn't dead for three days. I would also suspect that he never rose from the dead and that he probably wasn't the son of god or the messenger of god or a prophet of god.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INxJ

No he wasn't.
    Did you know him personally? All you have is your interpretation. Obviously, there's more than one way to view him.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    All you have is your interpretation.
    I have the New Testament plus 2000 years of history and traditions of the faith to back me up as well. Certainly more than what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    Jesus was a lot of different things, depending on which Gospels you read.
    Sure if you selectively cherry-pick certain elements of the Gospels - you can come up with any Jesus you want. That's why it's important to read the entire texts and get the complete picture.

I suspect he wasn't dead for three days. I would also suspect that he never rose from the dead and that he probably wasn't the son of god or the messenger of god or a prophet of god.
    I could care less.

MBTI
    INxJ

I have the New Testament plus 2000 years of history and traditions of the faith to back me up as well. Certainly more than what you have.
    People can look at the same information you have and interpret it differently. Don't get your panties in a twist.