User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default We're going to let old people die

Says Robert Bernard Reich, an American politician, academic, writer, and political commentator who served as the twenty-second United States Secretary of Labor under President Bill Clinton, from 1993 to 1997. He was/is also on Obama's economic transition advisory board.

"If you're very old, we're not going to give you all that technology and all those drugs for the last couple of years of your life. Itís too expensive...so we're going to let you die."

See for yourself:

[YOUTUBE="IT7Y0TOBuG4"]Let them die[/YOUTUBE]

Obama Economics Advisor Robert Reich Blasted for Promoting Death Panels

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin got pilloried for suggesting that the government-run health care system set up under the bills in Congress would lead to "death panels." But, now, a video has surfaced showing Obama economics advisor Robert Reich essentially admitting Palin was right.

Reich, the former Clinton administration Labor Secretary has been caught on tape making a death panel confession.

In a 2007 speech at the University of California at Berkeley, Reich began his address by saying he was going to deliver a refreshingly honest talk about health care from the vantage point of an insider who would never run for president.

ďIn other words, this is what the truth is," he said.

Reich admitted: "If you're very old, we're not going to give you all that technology and all those drugs for the last couple of years of your life. Itís too expensive...so we're going to let you die."

ďAlso, I'm going to use the bargaining leverage of the federal government Ö to force drug companies and insurance companies and medical suppliers to reduce their costs," he admitted. "What that means, less innovation and that means less new products and less new drugs on the market which means you are probably not going to live much longer than your parents.Ē

Gary Bauer, a pro-life former presidential candidate who is the head of American Values, calls Reich's words "pretty shocking stuff."

"The media just couldn't believe it when Sarah Palin suggested that government-run, socialized healthcare would lead to 'we're going to let you die' death panels," he said in response. "But thatís exactly what Reich said."

"To the bean counting bureaucrats, your life is a burden, not a blessing," Bauer continued. "So Big Government is going to dictate what healthcare you can and cannot receive."

"Need critical surgery? Maybe not. Suffering from serious pain? Sorry. Need cancer treatment? Too bad," he said in an email to LifeNews.com.

"How could anyone possibly call that reform? Sadly, many politicians do," he concluded. "Reich essentially admitted that Palin was right."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thank goodness they've come to their senses. We're overpopulated. Modern medicine has extended life too far and put a drain on our society. It's why Social Security is falling apart.

And seriously, I would not want to live much past 60, anyway. I mean, getting senile and having your faculties fail? Why would anyone want to live like that? Only way I'd ever want to live that long is if they could extend youth and vitality as well as life.

Maybe if they let some of these people die already, I'll be able to get a job... they've had too much time to get experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

I don't think you understand what he's saying here. Comparing his remarks made in 2007, describing both the existing health care system at the time and the poor suggestions for change! He's pointing out the problems, honestly, using sarcasm.... Ever heard of that? The clip highlights his understanding of the healthcare system, the problems with it and the problems with suggested alternatives. Let's connect that to death panels now, shall we?

Taking his remarks, particularly those made to HIGHLIGHT the problems with the existing healthcare system and plans suggested then out of the context in which they were made and connect them to death panels is a Fox News method of making an argument, you could do better.

He was pointing to the eventual need to consider the public option -- if everyone buys in, young people don't have to pay more. Old people get the care their need.

Robert Reich: The Audacity of Greed

Enneagram
    1w2

Isn't this essentially one of those "if you were on a desert island and had to pick who survives" question?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Thank goodness they've come to their senses. We're overpopulated. Modern medicine has extended life too far and put a drain on our society. It's why Social Security is falling apart.

And seriously, I would not want to live much past 60, anyway. I mean, getting senile and having your faculties fail? Why would anyone want to live like that? Only way I'd ever want to live that long is if they could extend youth and vitality as well as life.

Maybe if they let some of these people die already, I'll be able to get a job... they've had too much time to get experience.
    so when you're 60 and if you're still healthy are you gonna kill yourself? I'm just curious because when people pick an age to die by do they agree to commit suicide if they aren't dead by then or do they go, "LOL,just kidding!"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    so when you're 60 and if you're still healthy are you gonna kill yourself? I'm just curious because when people pick an age to die by do they agree to commit suicide if they aren't dead by then or do they go, "LOL,just kidding!"
    Nope. I'm going to make someone else do it. I could never kill myself voluntarily. I'd need to be murdered unexpectedly, because otherwise I'd probably manage to elude and outwit them if I knew exactly how and when it was going to happen.

MBTI
    yupp

well find someone with a strong enough temper to piss off, and someone capable of killing.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    I don't think you understand what he's saying here. Comparing his remarks made in 2007, describing both the existing health care system at the time and the poor suggestions for change! He's pointing out the problems, honestly, using sarcasm.... Ever heard of that? The clip highlights his understanding of the healthcare system, the problems with it and the problems with suggested alternatives. Let's connect that to death panels now, shall we?

Taking his remarks, particularly those made to HIGHLIGHT the problems with the existing healthcare system and plans suggested then out of the context in which they were made and connect them to death panels is a Fox News method of making an argument, you could do better.
    You suck when it comes to listening, I have observed. He said "Let me tell you a few things on healthcare... we have the only healthcare system in the world designed to avoid sick people... what I'm going to do is try to REORGANIZE it to make it more amenable to treating sick people..."

That's not describing the current system. When he described the current system, he said "we have the only healthcare system in the world designed to avoid sick people", then proceeded to talk about what would be done if he were to change the system. As in, how a democrat presidential candidate would change the system. He also made the assertion that you and everyone else are too stupid to differentiate between what politicians SAY and what they really MEAN. Don't go and prove him right. That was the point of this part of the speech.

MBTI
    IXFP

It sucks that a long time ago America made a promise to old people to take care of them. Now all old people think they deserve it just because they are old.

There are a lot of discrimination against old people when it comes to finding a job. It's kinda hard and rather heartless to tell all old people today to start taking care of their medical bills now. America immobilized them.

I wish I knew of a solution because it can't continue like this.

MBTI
    yupp

I hate this country.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all