User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 48

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    That's not why he calls himself libertarian -_- .
    Then why does he? Telling me I'm wrong and not trying to educate me on why I'm wrong is kinda one of my pet peeves about people.

    From what I read about Glenn and his stances of several politic issues, the only thing that stands out as libertarian like is about marijuana.

  2. #22
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    That's not why he calls himself libertarian -_- . Limbaugh isn't a politician, he's commentator. This isn't communist China where we go purging people whose opinions we disagree with. if that were the case there'd be a hell of a lot of extreme activists and terrorists on the left we'd have to off. Then we'd have to cut out the 9/11 truthers.

    The reason I am not active with the Libertarian Party is that they cannot get the right people into positions of power. They have had conspiracy theorists and tax protesters for years, and then they decide to be "respectable" by nominating two guys who were Bush-loving Republicans until 2004 or so. Their most rational and electable presidential nominee in the past 20 years was Harry Browne, a goldbug and "crisis investment" consultant. It's too bad that Ron Paul didn't return for another go at it in the LP. It was very disappointing to me when he endorsed Chuck Baldwin.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    Then why does he? Telling me I'm wrong and not trying to educate me on why I'm wrong is kinda one of my pet peeves about people.

    From what I read about Glenn and his stances of several politic issues, the only thing that stands out as libertarian like is about marijuana.
    If I went and spent my time telling everybody they are wrong, and specifically why they are wrong, I'd never have time to to eat or sleep.

    In any case, he associates himself with libertarians because he is rather heavily for social freedoms but fiscally conservative. He has no qualms going against the republican party. He is heavily anti-government regulation. His stances on war are also more libertarian in that he doesn't really believe in meddling so much militarily in foreign countries, but he doesn't believe that once a conflict is started that we should just up and quit. If we start something, we've gotta finish it. In any case, i observe that he floats somewhere in between conservative and libertarian.


    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The reason I am not active with the Libertarian Party is that they cannot get the right people into positions of power. They have had conspiracy theorists and tax protesters for years, and then they decide to be "respectable" by nominating two guys who were Bush-loving Republicans until 2004 or so. Their most rational and electable presidential nominee in the past 20 years was Harry Browne, a goldbug and "crisis investment" consultant. It's too bad that Ron Paul didn't return for another go at it in the LP. It was very disappointing to me when he endorsed Chuck Baldwin.
    And that in another reason why Beck tends to shy away from calling himself libertarian, because they seem to have a lot of people with unrealistic ideas/expectations.


    I think the time is almost come when we really need a strong 3rd party anyway.

  4. #24
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    Then why does he? Telling me I'm wrong and not trying to educate me on why I'm wrong is kinda one of my pet peeves about people.

    From what I read about Glenn and his stances of several politic issues, the only thing that stands out as libertarian like is about marijuana.
    I would consider Glenn Beck a libertarian-leaning right-wing populist, but he is not what I would consider a exemplar of classical liberal/minarchist libertarianism.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    If I went and spent my time telling everybody they are wrong, and specifically why they are wrong, I'd never have time to to eat or sleep.

    In any case, he associates himself with libertarians because he is rather heavily for social freedoms but fiscally conservative. He has no qualms going against the republican party. He is heavily anti-government regulation. His stances on war are also more libertarian in that he doesn't really believe in meddling so much militarily in foreign countries, but he doesn't believe that once a conflict is started that we should just up and quit. If we start something, we've gotta finish it. In any case, i observe that he floats somewhere in between conservative and libertarian.
    Well thank you for taking your time with me, I feel very special.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    He is heavily anti-government regulation.
    I do remember reading that part about Glenn Beck, which you are right is very libertarian. I kinda thought of it as more conservative republican for some strange reason which made me realize that was actually naive and stupid of me.
    Last edited by sunshinebrighter; 10-15-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The reason I am not active with the Libertarian Party is that they cannot get the right people into positions of power. It's too bad that Ron Paul didn't return for another go at it in the LP.
    Indeed. I'm also fond of Ron Paul.



    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    I do remember reading that part about Glenn Beck, which you are right is very libertarian. I kinda thought of it as more conservative republican for some strange reason which made me realize that was actually naive and stupid of me.
    Make no mistake. He's still a crying sack of epic douche proportions.

  8. #28
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    i have no statistics to reference, so i am attributing this to my own percieved understanding, but i would go as far to say that many of these liberals who talk about obama's assassination actually, deep down, want him to be assassinated.
    Dumbest theory ever. Speculation about a possible assassination is warranted, black leaders and Presidents have a history of getting their brains blown out. But this wouldn't help the liberal movement.

    I doubt it will happen. From what I hear, Obama has the most insane secret service ever. You're average redneck wouldn't be able to pull it off.

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    lol Yeah. The republican party needs to purge the palins and limbaughs before they can be seen as respectable. The sensible libertarians get lost among all that crazy.


    Edit: Actually, I think Glenn Beck might be worse than Rush.
    Yeah what they need is actual conservative intellectuals again. They used to have William F. Buckley, Milton Friedman, Barry Goldwater....

    Glenn Beck is a fucking cartoon. Hannity has a brain the size of a pea. Rush is a joke. And the only people more stupid than them is their fans.

  9. #29
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah what they need is actual conservative intellectuals again. They used to have William F. Buckley, Milton Friedman, Barry Goldwater....

    Glenn Beck is a fucking cartoon. Hannity has a brain the size of a pea. Rush is a joke. And the only people more stupid than them is their fans.

    Milton Friedman self-identified as a libertarian, and he didn't care for the term "conservative" to describe himself. I agree on your point, though. Between the "success" of Reagan in the '80s and the continual aggrandizement of the Religious right and anti-intellectualism in general, the Republican Party and the mainstream conservative movement has gone completely off the rails. The Bush Administration, with Wilsonian/Johnsonian foreign policy and domestic spending, should have been the last straw.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    I do remember reading that part about Glenn Beck, which you are right is very libertarian. I kinda thought of it as more conservative republican for some strange reason which made me realize that was actually naive and stupid of me.
    Well thank you VERY much for listening . I'm sorry if I offended you with rudeness.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM
  2. "If I Wanted America To Be A Dictatorship."
    By Rail Tracer in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO