User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I have noticed this trend in Europe. Australia may be different.
    Yes, we have three treaties with the United States - a military treaty, a land treaty and an economic treaty. And these are the three legs of the stool on which we sit.

The land treaty guarantees our security to the South in Antarctica. Our close friend and ally, New Zealand, is to our East. And the empty Indian Ocean is to our West. And the American military bases in Diego Gracia and Guam protect our North. And the economic treaty guarantees our future prosperity.

So we have much to be thankful for. And we are.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Teach that to the Europeans!

Ha, no, just kidding. Most Europeans are fine with Americans, but things got quite hostile during the Bush administration. Basically, people would ask you what you thought about Bush, and you did not dare say you liked him, or you were dumped into the big garbage dump never to be resurrected from that place again. Luckily for me, I did not really appreciate most of his foreign policy, so I was safe.

But I just hate it when people - even in jest - come to me and say, "WOW you can be proud to be an American again." It's like ? Either I was proud the whole time, and that is not dependent on any one joker in office, or I was not proud, in which case any one joker is not going to change that. Dumb asses.

I prefer people who are relatively consistent.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Teach that to the Europeans!

Ha, no, just kidding. Most Europeans are fine with Americans, but things got quite hostile during the Bush administration. Basically, people would ask you what you thought about Bush, and you did not dare say you liked him, or you were dumped into the big garbage dump never to be resurrected from that place again. Luckily for me, I did not really appreciate most of his foreign policy, so I was safe.

But I just hate it when people - even in jest - come to me and say, "WOW you can be proud to be an American again." It's like ? Either I was proud the whole time, and that is not dependent on any one joker in office, or I was not proud, in which case any one joker is not going to change that. Dumb asses.

I prefer people who are relatively consistent.
    Fortunately our Prime Minister, John Howard, was best mates with President George Bush.

And we have just sent our Minister for Defence, the Hon. Kim Beazley AC, as ambassador to the United States. So we hope to further develop our close and fruitful relationship.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

In my opinion, the long-term value of a country does not solely depend upon the leader who happens to be in office for four or eight years. Several other things are a great deal more important. Like a business, people always point the finger at the Chief Executive Officer, but in reality, it's often the Board of Directors, the Private Equity Firm, or the advisors who are pulling the strings. Foreign policy is short-term; values and culture is long-term, or should be anyway.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, among the contenders (biggest countries of the world), it's almost surely the best alternative. I'd personally choose Brazil but introverts of the world dislike the atmosphere over there.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP

This thread has left me... speechless.

Okay, so what if a paper says it's the most admired country in the world? It a fact that not everybody in the world is smart, in fact most people are not and this might be an obvious reason why they admire 'America', especially if it is only for Obama (?!?!?! - admiring a country for a single citizen?).
    I for one wouldn't set foot there!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by une_autre View Post
    This thread has left me... speechless.

Okay, so what if a paper says it's the most admired country in the world? It a fact that not everybody in the world is smart, in fact most people are not and this might be an obvious reason why they admire 'America', especially if it is only for Obama (?!?!?! - admiring a country for a single citizen?).
    I for one wouldn't set foot there!

Good, we don't care if you never come here.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

I've just learnt that the budget of the Pentagon is roughly the same size as the whole of Australia's Gross National Product (GNP).

This is an extraordinary discrpancy and must colour our relations to an extraordinary degree.

I have always wondered why Americans are so assertive. At first I thought is was because your self esteem was fed at school. But it is obvious you are assertive because you have overwhelming economic power, backed by overwhelming military power, backed by huge territories and backed by the huge propaganda system of Hollywood.

In fact you are assertive because you have overwhelming power.

And it can't have escaped your attention that the assertion of overwhelming power in the face of the relatively powerless, is ugly

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've just learnt that the budget of the Pentagon is roughly the same size as the whole of Australia's Gross National Product (GNP).

This is an extraordinary discrpancy and must colour our relations to an extraordinary degree.

I have always wondered why Americans are so assertive. At first I thought is was because your self esteem was fed at school. But it is obvious you are assertive because you have overwhelming economic power, backed by overwhelming military power, backed by huge territories and backed by the huge propaganda system of Hollywood.

And it can't have escaped your attention that the assertion of overwhelming power in the face of the relatively powerless, is ugly

I think that Americans probably were assertive even before we were a superpower. We're not a particularly self-effacing group of people, and I don't think we ever were.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Canadians are as assertive as Americans. They just think they aren't.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge