User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Americans are charming - not only do they want power but they want to be loved as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Hmm, not really. I think highly of some countries, but poorly of US, and I am not the only one.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Americans are charming - not only do they want power but they want to be loved as well.
    Aussies, on the other hand, don't particularly want either... at least not if there's football on...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Aussies, on the other hand, don't particularly want either... at least not if there's football on...
    I like Aussies .

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Alas, we are just like you - we want power and love. And we haven't yet realised we can't have both. We can have one or the other but not both together.

Yes, power and love are mutually inhibitory like many things.

Of course it has not passed our attention that abusers want the impossible - they want power over someone who loves them.

And it is taking us a long time to realise it doesn't work.

However we are making some progress and over the last twenty years or so we have been prosecuting child abusers in our Criminal Courts.

Yes, it is children who have born the brunt of this perverse desire for power and love.

And as we save the children, we may save ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Horray, Europe likes them because progressives, whose ideals originate from European thinkers, are transforming the American system into one that more resembles Europe. Of course they love us. People were always jealous of the big brother America, and now they are elated that big brother is suddenly turning around and modeling himself after little brother and giving all the other siblings a chance to "be just and equal". But next door neighbors like China, Russia, and the Middle East don't give a flying shit about the family affairs of the western household. If big brother is not taking charge anymore, it makes it easier to pick on the western siblings and jack them for their lunch money, and are comforted by the fact that all of the siblings will now have equal amounts of money since they are all forced to share equally. Heck, they get to be the big boys on the block now! And little Iran has always had that grudge against former big brother America's good friend Israel. Now he sees his chance to beat him with a baseball bat and be done with him once and for all. Oh, what a happy neighborhood.
    I'll let Emma do the talking for me on this one...

Conceit, arrogance and egotism are the essentials of patriotism. Let me illustrate. Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into little spots, each one surrounded by an iron gate. Those who have had the fortune of being born on some particular spot consider themselves nobler, better, grander, more intelligent than those living beings inhabiting any other spot. It is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on that chosen spot to fight, kill and die in the attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others.
    The inhabitants of the other spots reason in like manner, of course, with the result that from early infancy the mind of the child is provided with blood-curdling stories about the Germans, the French, the Italians, Russians, etc. When the child has reached manhood he is thoroughly saturated with the belief that he is chosen by the Lord himself to defend his country against the attack or invasion of any foreigner. It is for that purpose that we are clamoring for a greater army and navy, more battleships and ammunition.
    --Emma Goldman, "What is Patriotism?"

So I guess what I'm getting at here is that it's absurdly hypocritical of you to criticise the Russias and Chinas of the world without realizing that we are another reflection of the exact same thing. You mean to protect the world from tyrants by becoming a tyrant yourself?
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

IF Obama really were that bad, he'd put you all in jail for bitching so much about him being bad, without any apparent reason.
    Seems like you just hate him because he's really freaking popular everywhere.

First and foremost, the world isn't afraid of the United States anymore. Note, big difference between "respect" and "terror".
    Hopefully the american way of meddling in others' affairs is over and done with.
    We have the United Nations for that, thank you. It should be used properly, instead of just being a tool of the U.S.
    Honestly, quitting is the best alternative. The other one being war with the rest of the world when we catch up.

So... I just have one little piece of advice: if you disagree, just shut up and go along.
    If you badly want a war within a century, go right ahead and smear the guy so that he won't get reelected.
    Like what happened with the British Empire, you will run into some major problems once the world is sick of your fleets, spy satellites, planes and troops intruding on foreign soil.

If you accuse Obama of being a fascist... Take a look at what fascism is.
    - Does he incarcerate you? (No)
    - Does he otherwise persecute you? (no)
    - Does he idolize violence? (nope, diplomatic)
    - Was he not elected? (yes)
    - Does he want to conquer other countries? (nope, diplomatic)
    - Is he a conservative far-right kind of guy? (nope, that's why you're whining)
    - Does he promote the idea of americans being superior than all other people genetically and/or culturally speaking? (yes, culturally... But so does most americans. I don't know why. You all seem a tad too nationalistic.)
    - Are there troops (military) patrolling the streets in all your towns and cities? (nope, and he doesn't want your troops anywhere near other nations' streets, either. Unlike most predecessors.)

If anyone promotes totalitarianism, it is the goddamn critics who wants america to keep up the "good work" of screwing things up around the world.
    Honestly, just shut up, or we're gonna shut the U.S up for good.
    Yeah, you don't want to mess with Europe, Asia, Africa and South America in a few decades.
    By then, global standard will have risen to the point where there can't be imbalances like Mr. Bush's foreign policy without war.
    ICBMs will be rendered useless when missile shields become more common.
    What's left? Your fleet. Trust me, we can get fleets if we would really like to.

If you don't care what the world thinks, or that you're untouchable; you are an idiot. Wake up.
    If I sound harsh and uncivil, so be it. Listen to what I have said, and consider it.

Sure, i'll probably get some crap back from some of you.
    I won't be reading it. This is my five cents, and now I am done talking about this particular subject in this particular thread.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    You all seem a tad too nationalistic.
    It's only Nationalism when other countries do it. When Americans do it, it's called Patriotism.
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    ENFJ

Does this mean we can travel to Europe again without Canadian stickers on our backpacks now?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ

I lurve America. And I lurve powerful America. In that, if I could have my choice of current candidates for "most powahful nation on earth" the USA would win by a mile. A long mile. I guess what I'm saying is, America! Abuse me!

Wait. I'm Canadian. You already do.

I gots to say, tho, while I have never been an Obama fan, the tenor of some of the opposition to him is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as some of the more absurd charges leveled at Bush when he was in office. I wish the more moderate voices in the States got a better airing, but I suppose the squeaky wheels get the grease.

Oh and PS. The EU sucks!
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker