User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Okay, since we've established I have no critical thinking skills, I think I may bow out.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Whether you're in a gang or you're a boy scout, you don't need a knife in school and school administrators shouldn't be expected to make exceptions about what weapons should be allowed and who can carry them.
    Sure they should. This zero-tolerance policy, which was supposed to save the administrator from having to make a decision, has merely shifted the decision to another point: What's a weapon?

No knives. Okay, what if the knife is a plastic knife, part of the plastic silverware set used by a kid to eat his lunch? What if the knife is a half-inch-long pewter charm on a girl's bracelet? What if the knife is the picture of a sword in the hand of a king portrayed on a deck of playing cards?

You see, all that has been done is that the decision has been moved from the realm of the reasonable to the realm of the absurd.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Okay, since we've established I have no critical thinking skills, I think I may bow out.
    Ives, that wasn't my intent at all. No insult to you was expressed or implied. I apologize immediately for giving that impression.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's okay, I was homeschooled, what can you expect?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's okay, I was homeschooled, what can you expect?
    An unusually large vocabulary, and a propensity to wear camo?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Sure they should. This zero-tolerance policy, which was supposed to save the administrator from having to make a decision, has merely shifted the decision to another point: What's a weapon?

No knives. Okay, what if the knife is a plastic knife, part of the plastic silverware set used by a kid to eat his lunch? What if the knife is a half-inch-long pewter charm on a girl's bracelet? What if the knife is the picture of a sword in the hand of a king portrayed on a deck of playing cards?

You see, all that has been done is that the decision has been moved from the realm of the reasonable to the realm of the absurd.
    What exactly are you suggesting? We allow some weapons but not others? Or some metal knives but not others?

That would be the most ridiculous policy for a school to adopt ever.

Oberon

What exactly are you suggesting? We allow some weapons but not others? Or some metal knives but not others?

That would be the most ridiculous policy for a school to adopt ever.
    I wonder if they hand out stainless-steel silverware, including table knives, in the cafeteria. They did when I was in school. I guess all the people in charge were insane.

MBTI
    INTP

An unusually large vocabulary, and a propensity to wear camo?

Amen.

Whether you're in a gang or you're a boy scout, you don't need a knife in school and school administrators shouldn't be expected to make exceptions about what weapons should be allowed and who can carry them.

As for the reform school sentence the kid got.... that can't be half as bad as going to Boy Scouts, am I right?! harhar
    Whatever happened to the middle ground?
    The teachers merely have to confiscate the item in question. Either give it back to him after school or have his parents come and collect it.
    If there is any question over the child's intent/reason for bringing the item then talk to the parents or inform the authorities or something. Merely possessing something mildly dangerous should not be sufficient reason to send a kid to reform school for a month and a half.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I wonder if they hand out stainless-steel silverware, including table knives, in the cafeteria. They did when I was in school. I guess all the people in charge were insane.
    Well just say what you think should be allowed. 4 inch metal blades? 6 inch?

Ahh so that's what's keeping you from sending your children to school, the school grounds aren't dangerous enough for you.

Oberon

Well just say what you think should be allowed. 4 inch metal blades? 6 inch?

Ahh so that's what's keeping you from sending your children to school, the school grounds aren't dangerous enough for you.
    Oh no, the school grounds are far too dangerous for my taste. Don't care much about what happens on the playground or the athletic fields or in the hallways or the gym... it's the idiotic group-think ideas they propagate in the classrooms that make me fearful for my children.

EDIT: I think I'm going to bail on this discussion. I feel myself getting way too emotionally involved. Need to go calm down, maybe eat some lunch.